Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can someone in their 30s afford a house - PLEASE READ MOD WARNING IN OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Jesus. Who the f*ck pissed in your cornflakes?

I moved to the city because there were zero opportunities to do anything in the town I’m from.

I don’t give a rats ass about bankers. That’s not my concern. I think it’s my responsibility to get myself a house. Which I’ve done. But I also can see where other people are coming from. It’s called seeing things from other people’s perspectives and having some compassion.

Jesus.

Typical person who can't recognise the many advantages they've had in life. Every bit of luck is just 'normal' to them. Can't recognise that luck played a big part in their success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

GreeBo wrote: »
    These other people don't want compassion, they want cheapest, nicer houses in nice areas to be built and reserved for them.

Who are “these other people” exactly? I don’t see many of them here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

This is such patronising nonsense, buying frozen veg isn't going to make getting a house happen.

What is patronizing is not recognizing that some folks have to resort to such cumulative changes to be able to afford getting a house.

Not everyone has a 50k a yer job or qualifications or ability to learn as others to get them ahead. But there are small changes people can make to make a difference to their chance as getting deposit together for house.

I have had to do all these things and more to get on the property ladder, saved hard, sacrificed trips with friends and family to be able to have enough.

What is patronizing is having no clue of the individual struggles some go through to get their chance at having a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Idbatterim wrote: »

Only in Ireland, seriously. This **** wouldnt be tolerated anywhere else!

I can just see ppl commuting on a ferry to Manhattan thinking.. Jaysus, why aren't they building apartments for me, I'm earning 200k/year, 50 years ago I would've bought an apartment and had a house in the suburbs for the family with the fact I'm a professional and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Thing is right, I earn a decent salary. So does my wife. We bought a house during the tail end of the recession and I thank my lucky stars that we did. Because houses round our way are now going for 60k more than they did 4 years ago. That’s not about being able to afford to live somewhere that’s about supply and demand.

Are people forgetting that for almost a solid decade, right around when people in their 30s now we’re newly minted into the working world there was over 30% youth unemployment. Which meant 1 in 3 people who are now of prime house buying age didn’t have a job at all. And I’d wager that another massive chunk were hugely underemployed for their qualifications. During that time I was unable to find employment in my field because there were almost no jobs and when I tried to get a job in a shop etc they looked at me and saw someone that was vastly over qualified. So I have pretty much no savings because I used them to keep myself afloat when I was unemployed.

So who's buying all these houses that are newly built?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pussyhands wrote: »
    So who's buying all these houses that are newly built?

Still operating about 50-55% cash buyers , dual income households getting exemptions, people who had the luxury of livkng at home with oarents in dublin whole saving and couples who had parents throw them 20-25k each to get them over the line.

The people who are not buying in the greater dublin area (and surrounding other cities)are the self employed, single people, single income couples, those with dependants.

Of my peers, the only people I know who have purchased houses closer to dublin than newbridge are people with a solid credit record who bought in the bottom of the recession , dual civil/public service income couples , higher grade public servants like doctors or nurses with a speciality who are 35+ or those with serious mammy and daddy cash injections combined with a bit of monk like living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

M442 wrote: »
    My grandparents moved in to a house together in the late 40s. I assume when you bought in the 70s things were the same and you didn't have many luxuries.

1 I assume like my grand parents you didnt have running water? I mean you can just walk to the well you don't need running water in your house

2 I assume you didn't have indoor plumbing or a toilet in your house? I mean what is it with people expecting a toilet in their house! Such entitlement. Just go in the communal toilet or up the field!

3 Did you have a bike? Of course you didn't have anything as crazy as a car but did you have the unnecessary luxury of a bike? I mean you could do like my grand did and walk 5 miles every time you need a bag of sugar.

4 Did you have electricity? Nothing wrong with candles.

6 Did you have a radio? You don't need a radio in your house that's a luxury.

If you had any of the things on the list above you lived a very privileged life in the 70s in a house full of expensive stuff you didn't need.

I bought in the 90's 00's and 10's.

And a big bualadh bos for you for figuring out what a luxury is. Top of the class. :pac:

Now, next lesson is whether you can afford those things. If yes, happy days. If no, you have a few options:
    - increase income
    - reduce your consumption
    - move to less expensive environment

And, apologies if misreading your tone, but if you are implying we are not privileged for having all those things, that's a fairly sad case of oblivious rich kid.

• GreeBo wrote: »
    Sorry but who's fault do you think it is exactly? Let me guess, fat cat bankers perchance?

Strive away but don't make it everyone else's problem to find you a house.
    Your decision to pick a career that meant you had to move to a city to find work and where the salary meant it's difficult to take your pick of houses.

I'm mean just listen to yourself.

"All i want is to do whatever career i want in the city centre and live nearby with an easy commute in a nice house" do you think your are alone in this dream? Get real.

The frustrating thing is that's what our parent's did for the most part. One generation away and we get out of school/college into a fcuked economy. Expectations need to be curbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....that adult homelessness is up 117% but child homelessness is up over 300% in the same time frame.

The situation with lack of access to full time employment for childminding partners in a relationship or single adult family groupings with low incomes is dire.

There will be a need to provide local authority housing for these people like used to happen in the past.

In the employment hotspots and tourism hotspots of our increasingly rich country there is little room for traditional family groupings in junior or some manual labouring, low education positions. They simply can't afford the housing units available without substantial state or voluntary help.

The many historical buildings around Dublin seem to point to the fact that the dear housing experience is not new. Many big companies built houses for their fulltime permanent employees, barracks and housing units for police, army etc.

Nurses live in homes attached to hospitals and were expected to stay single for life or retire on getting married.

Today, as referred to in previous threads, there is a large number of buyers getting help from "the bank of Mum and Dad". There is also the substantial non-monetary assistance in terms of housework and childminding from adults parents which enables both adult partners to engage fully in the employment market at an intense and advanced level in order to get a house.

Single parents or one earner families with a large number of kids don't have a snowballs chance in hell in getting onto the property market in Dublin unless they can work in teams with close family relatives sharing childminding by working opposite shifts, day/night patterns etc to always have an adult childminder off work at some time to mind the kids. Others engage in house based work to allow low-cost childminding etc.

Unlike former times the present mortgage arrangements are not eroded away by high rates of inflation like used to happen in the past. People now have to prepare for a long slog of high mortgage payments for a lot longer that was the case with their parents. Older people cannot and should not judge the lives of the young house hunters too harshly. Times and circumstances are totally different now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The frustrating thing is that's what our parent's did for the most part. One generation away and we get out of school/college into a fcuked economy. Expectations need to be curbed.

Is anyone else getting massive deja vu?

I literally remember my peers saying the exact same thing to me just before the boom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Typical person who can't recognise the many advantages they've had in life. Every bit of luck is just 'normal' to them. Can't recognise that luck played a big part in their success.

Nope it was hard work and some sacrifices and are mesmerized that people think they shouldn't have to do and just given it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They didn't though.
    If they did the so called undesirable areas would be full of 30 something's only.

People with less money have always lived in the less desirable areas of the city OR outside of the city altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Listen guys there's some cold hard facts I'm a financial advisor and my brokerage has a mortgage department I refer quite a few people in to them but do a fact find first so I'm not wasting their time.

Exemptions are hard to come by.

You will need to be extremely well paid or have a partner to buy in Dublin or reasonably commutable surrounding areas. Combined income needs to be 70k+ to buy any property along with a decent deposit. I'm not talking about a 1 bed flat in a cheap area I'm talking about where I live myself, Lucan. A decent area in my opinion. Other areas were waaay out of my reach when buying myself a few years ago but I like it here.

Desirable areas in south Dublin are overpriced and not worth it in my opinion.

We have a housing problem. A well functioning capital city should cater for the entire demographic, not saying it means everyone on every salary point should be able to buy the house they want where they want but should have a nice place to live, even if it's renting. Read the renting/sharing threads on here the stuff of nightmares goes on out there.

Life isn't fair. But supply and demand dictates who can buy where.

Don't moan about the situation, it's not going to change. Your blue collar parents and grandparents could afford a house because they weren't competing with highly paid professionals in the same numbers as today. And women often didn't work so house prices were a function of a single income by and large. Things have shifted. You need to shift with them.

I'm empathetic towards people on below average wages because they have same hopes and dreams as wealthier people. But you need to keep up to get what they get. Not easy for all, but life is tough.

Be financially prudent. If anyone young is reading this, do yourself a huge favour and, start saving, sit down with someone and come up with a plan. I meet so many that don't and the people with a plan are the ones that get what they want. It won't just happen for you.

Who are “these other people” exactly? I don’t see many of them here tbh.

The posters who first complained that it was impossible to afford anything in Dublin who they, when I presented them with numerous houses for sale in Dublin for under 200k replied with "sure I don't want to live in tallaght!"

All there for anyone who has read the thread to see.

You don't know a single thing about me yet I was lucky to be where I am today?
    Can I get some ketchup with that chip on your shoulder?

I co bought my first house just before the recession and I work in the IT industry so I was suddenly plunged into negative equity. I had bought a dump that I spent 5 years refurbing myself and then had to sell for personal reasons.

I ended up living in a box room for 4 years saving to get out.

I'm such a lucky bastard though right?

Im now sitting in the family home, purchased for 16 thousand pounds in 1989, in Dublin 14. the property is over a hundred years old, needed total gutting, extension etc. You know what this property would cost now in the same condition as it was bought in? I would say E350,000! I know the interest rates were far higher then, but that was probably a years salary back then!

All of this "it takes sacrifice etc" yeah of course it does! But all of you seem to think, "ah ill just become a slave to debt, stop living for a few years" etc, thats grand, fire away. But dont expect all of us to think along the same lines!

You wouldnt question in the insane or very convenient planning policies in Dublin, that force people to move a hundred kilometers away? you dont question margarget cash and her ilk getting housed in central Dublin at great cost, while you work to pay for it and then commute back on some **** journey in your car at another great expense or on the third world transport system here?

I am guessing house bought by parents. Why do you think they bought that house as it was all they could afford. Would you but that house yourself now?

I do question Margret cash and her ilk and I think it is disgraceful. The think even is she was not given 1 the prices of places in Dublin would not change due to demand.

and probably live somewhere relatively "crap"...

many of your mortgage brokers on here or bank chairmen per chance?

Not a bank chairman or Mortgage broker. Just an adult who knows sacrifices are needed if you want something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

My thoughts exactly reading her posts on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The posters who first complained that it was impossible to afford anything in Dublin who they, when I presented them with numerous houses for sale in Dublin for under 200k replied with "sure I don't want to live in tallaght!"

All there for anyone who has read the thread to see.

A daft search for houses /duplexes and bungalows between 25k and 200k with 2 bedrooms (because banks are less likely to lend on 1 beds ) in all of dublin nets 73 properties, 10 of those are auction reserve prices , so that leaves 63 properties for sale.

of that 63

6 are in tallaght
    9 are in clondalkin
    19 are in balbriggan
    13 are in finglas
    4 are in clonsilla/blanchardstown
    2 are in ballyfermot.
    2 in darndale
    8 are in various locations but all are not duplicates

a lot of not great things to be said about balbriggan, that and its basically louth : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057882418

This is not a functional housing market for dublin , even out of those properties they are in the bad parts of their respective 'locations with a shady image'

dublins house prices are unsustainable when you need to be on 51k a year to live in estates that make the news for murders, shootings, attacks on busses etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

pwurple wrote: »
    You have internet access. Did they have that in the 70's? Did they have mobile phones? Did they have insulation in their houses? Our lives are far more expensive now, at a very basic level. And people expect things like living with more space. Ensuite bathrooms, not sharing. That's how it is now.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. The ratio of the cost of a home to your combined wage has increased four-fold since the early 1970's.

Forget the virtue signaling about not buying Starbucks or not having a Sky Sports subscription. The above is a major blocker to the average Joe or Josephine Irish in buying any house.

You've mentioned that you're in a situation where only one partner works outside the home. God forbid this happening to you, but imagine a place where *you're* the one at home. Your partner walks leaving you with your child. How many options do you think you have now?

You're down to your council office. All bets are off regarding "fatfire" or "slimfire" investments. You're now basically a ward of the state. Welcome to modern Ireland. It doesn't matter what your BSc was in, you're now a state dependant.

Two drivers at play here. The exponential growth of the price of a house in relation to the average wage and the increase of marital breakdown.

I want to enjoy my life. Yes, I do invest, but it's money I'm prepared to lose unless I'm investing in an index. I have a solid pension. Don't be smug, don't judge others, lest you want to be judged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

bigpink wrote: »
    A lot of snobbery on this thread towards just normal decent working people

Don't think so.

• Advertisement

There are 146 properties under 200k with at least 2 beds.

It's not dysfunctional its simple supply and demand.
    Posters are being picky when they can't afford to be on their budget and live in Dublin.

There are news reports on every area in Dublin so that doesn't wash.
    Either suck it up or look elsewhere.

You don't know a single thing about me yet I was lucky to be where I am today?

I co bought my first house just before the recession and I work in the IT industry so I was suddenly plunged into negative equity. I had bought a dump that I spent 5 years refurbing myself and then had to sell for personal reasons.

I ended up living in a box room for 4 years saving to get out.

I'm such a lucky bastard though right?

Did you have a disability? A serious illness? The point is that luck plays a role, whether you realise it or not. And people like you who believe that everything they have is as a result of their own hard work never acknowledge that. You're the one with a chip on your shoulder. You think you're so much better than other people because you managed to buy a house, without acknowledging that others might not have even had the chances you had.

You have the aptitude and ability to work in the IT industry = luck
    You were well enough to work at all = luck
    for example

I'm aware that in many ways, I'm luckier than other people who have even less than me. Shame you can't do the same.

Nope it was hard work and some sacrifices and are mesmerized that people think they shouldn't have to do and just given it

And what about the people who work hard and sacrifice and still can't do it? Some people have all kinds of things happen in their lives which hold them back, not just the usual stuff everyone has. Those people are not starting the race at the same place everyone else is, they're starting it 20 paces behind.

But, sure, there's no such thing as 'luck' :rolleyes:

Did you have a disability? A serious illness? The point is that luck plays a role, whether you realise it or not. And people like you who believe that everything they have is as a result of their own hard work never acknowledge that. You're the one with a chip on your shoulder. You think you're so much better than other people because you managed to buy a house, without acknowledging that others might not have even had the chances you had.

for example

I'm aware that in many ways, I'm luckier than other people who have even less than me. Shame you can't do the same.

No his problem is with people not trying thinking poor me I don't want to sacrifice and do stuff to help achieve my goals.

As for your luck comment nice deflect to try and get out of it as that was not the examples of luck you were thinking of eg: bank of mom and dad wealthy job.

As for the luck of not having a disability as if that would stop someone I take great offence to that as someone who has a disability.

No his problem is with people not trying thinking poor me I don't want to sacrifice and do stuff to help achieve my goals.

As for your luck comment nice deflect to try and get out of it as that was not the examples of luck you were thinking of eg: bank of mom and dad wealthy job.

As for the luck of not having a disability as if that would stop someone I take great offence to that as someone who has a disability.

How do you know what I was thinking of? Pretty arrogant of you to tell me what I was thinking of. In fact, disability and illness were exactly what I was thinking of, as I suffer from both myself and they have hugely impacted on the type of job I'm able to do and things I'm able to manage.

I also have no problem with acknowledging the ways in which I'm lucky compared to others. It's called humility. Try it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Buy a house somewhere you can afford.
    Rent it out and cover your mortgage.
    Continue to rent near where you work.
    Have a home/asset when you retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

for example

He's a crank. Even after losing his shirt from being in negative equity from a previous property frenzy, he still thinks "de market" is always right. When he was eating pot noodles in a box room "de market" was right. Even now, when he's probably one hard Brexit away from being back in negative equity, he says a little prayer to "de market" in his Bill Cullen pyjamas. He has the religious zeal of a Mormon about housing. Housing bubbles, crashes and unaffordability are all naturally occurring events like the flowing of the tides, and not a function of bad policy and government captured by vested interests.

His head would probably pop if you told him countries like Germany, Austria and Denmark have largely mitigated the problems of unaffordability through thoughtful policy and admitting that citizens need dignified places to live in urban areas without them overextending themselves on credit. But we wouldn't want to do that to him, so we'll keep it a secret until the next time he's in negative equity and he's scratching his head as to why his good friend de market did it to him.

Yurt! wrote: »
    He's a crank. Even after losing his shirt from being in negative equity from a previous property frenzy, he still thinks "de market" is always right. When he was eating pot noodles in a box room "de market" was right. Even now, when he's probably one hard Brexit away from being back in negative equity, he says a little prayer to "de market" in his Bill Cullen pyjamas. He has the religious zeal of a Mormon about housing. Housing bubbles, crashes and unaffordability are all naturally occurring events like the flowing of the tides, and not a function of bad policy and government captured by vested interests.

His head would probably pop if you told him countries like Germany, Austria and Denmark have largely mitigated the problems of unaffordability through thoughtful policy and admitting that citizens need dignified places to live in urban areas without them overextending themselves on credit. But we wouldn't want to do that to him, so we'll keep it a secret until the next time he's in negative equity and he's scratching his head as to why his good friend de market did it to him.

Your childish rant does nothing to further your point.

Go look at those countries you list, you'll notice that everyone isn't desperate to live in the capital city.
    There are plenty of urban areas that are not in Dublin but that doesn't suit your rant, so continue to stick your hand out and blame everyone else.

And what about the people who work hard and sacrifice and still can't do it? Some people have all kinds of things happen in their lives which hold them back, not just the usual stuff everyone has. Those people are not starting the race at the same place everyone else is, they're starting it 20 paces behind.

But, sure, there's no such thing as 'luck' :rolleyes:

Those people accept that they can't live in a nice house in a nice area in the capital city. They are realistic.

• Advertisement

Those people accept that they can't live in a nice house in a nice area in the capital city. They are realistic.

Jesus Christ. We're not talking about a nice house in a nice area. We're talking about anything at all. If jobs in your industry are in Dublin and you're an educated professional working in Dublin and you can't afford a modest one-bed apartment in any area where you aren't likely to get stabbed, there's a serious issue.

Advertisement