Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Censorship of Yellow Vest protests in France

• 11-02-2019 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

I have been in France twice lately and follow French news when at home.

There seems to be a policy by the media here of not reporting the scale of the protests in France. Censorship?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

If it was censored we wouldn't know so much about it.

There have being more protests over the last few years in Europe.

The reason you dont much after the initial reports is because these groups have no clear or concise message and no follow-through.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

... and because our media is still fairly anglocentric. Events in most European countries tend to get fairly cursory coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Oxter wrote: »

There seems to be a policy by the media here of not reporting the scale of the protests in France. Censorship?

It’s kicak french news. Not much interest in it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,022 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I see enough off it!

I wonder did French news cover the protest outside Simon Harris's house and Paul Murphy with his mega phone in Jobstown?

I see enough off it!

I wonder did French news cover the protest outside Simon Harris's house and Paul Murphy with his mega phone in Jobstown?
    I get the French papers in work, they're barely covering Brexit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Did French national media report daily on our water protests at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’s mad how often people claim censorship these days. The longer a story goes on the less/no coverage it gets. It was covered a lot at the start. It’s old news now. No censorship going on at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

VinLieger wrote: »

They were a minor disorganised ripple.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

The French would hsve guillotined Harris and othrrs over their handling of the new childrens hospital (tne most expensive ever builr worldwide) and newly qualified nurses being paid €13.50ph, less thsn clesning stsff.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Oui, d'accord

https://actu.orange.fr/societe/videos/manifestation-contre-la-fin-de-la-gratuite-de-l-eau-en-irlande-VID0000001rMa7.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Our media tends to focus mainly on English speaking countries. Theres no conspiracy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Suckler

It’s mad how often people claim censorship these days. The longer a story goes on the less/no coverage it gets. It was covered a lot at the start. It’s old news now. No censorship going on at all.

Especially these days when news channels/programs/websites are a 24 hour constant. They cannot keep the same headlines every hour without updates/changes or the next 'click-bait' style headline will take people away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s just not interesting to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Either you don’t read them or you’re not being honest about it.

To talk about something I know for sure, I read Le Figaro everyday and they definitly have several articles per week related to Brexit. I wouldn’t quite say every day but at least every second day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

What yellow vest protests are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Seen some footage yesterday of yellow vests fighting yellow vests, tis nasty enough over there

Bob24 wrote: »
    Either you don’t read them or you’re not being honest about it.

I read Le Figaro everyday and they definitly have several articles per week related to Brexit. I wouldn’t quite say every day but at least every second day.
    I said barely, I was also kidding. But relative the saturated coverage of Brexit here in and in the UK media, yeah, it is barely covered, both in terms of the frequency of its coverage and in its detail. Nobody in France that I know has much of an idea about it, except that it's happening and the Brits have no plan.

It's just interesting to note the difference, even though France is also one of the UKs biggest trading partners.

Also, Le Figaro ? Sniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I said barely, I was also kidding. But relative the saturated coverage of Brexit here in and in the UK media, yeah, it is barely covered, both in terms of the frequency of its coverage and in its detail. Nobody in France that I know has much of an idea about it, except that it's happening and the Brits have no plan.

It's just interesting to note the difference, even though France is also one of the UKs biggest trading partners.

Also, Le Figaro ? Sniff.

Brexit effects will be slow and long term in France somit matters little.

Here however it has potential to plunge us into deep recession within a short time. It’s much more relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

There were yellow vest protests in London, and they didn't make the news either. Crazy situation, I've been following the situation in France through periscope and twitter, the parisienne fire brigade have been fighting the cops and THAT didn't even make the news. There are scores of wounded, a few dead and nothing from RTE or BBC.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

You dont know what censorship means do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Also, Le Figaro ? Sniff.

You said the French press barely covers Brexit, and I am quoting the French national paper with the highest circulation (yes, Le Figaro) which is reporting about it at least every second day (which about any topic can't possibly be called barely).

Also for your reference and amongst Brexit related topics, they have covered the issue of the Irish border and the backstop in details on a few occasions (one example here).

So kidding or not, it is simply incorrect to say there is no in depth coverage and Brexit is barely covered.

Now to go back on topic I am not saying the Irish press should necesseraly cover the yellow jacket protests equally, but using so-called weak Brexit coverage in the French press to explain it would make no sense.

Bob24 wrote: »
    You said the French press barely covers Brexit, and I am quoting the French national paper with the highest circulation (yes, Le Figaro) which is reporting about it at least every second day (which about any topic can't possibly be called barely).

Also for your reference and amongst Brexit related topics, they have covered the issue of the Irish border and the backstop in details on a few occasions (one example here).

So kidding or not, it is simply incorrect to say there is no in depth coverage and Brexit is barely covered.

Now to go back on topic I am not saying the Irish press should necesseraly cover the yellow jacket protests equally, but using so-called weak Brexit coverage in the French press to explain it would make no sense.
    Listen I know it's a Monday Morning in February but lighten up a bit man, I already explained that I was being tongue in cheek, but there is actually a serious point too, that in relative terms, French coverage of Brexit is weak. I don't read Le Figaro but that's my impression from Libération and Aujourd'hui, as well as French Radio coverage. Compare that to Ireland and Britain where huge resources are poured into discussing Brexit, probably at the cost to other issues of public importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,938 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Irish Yellow Vest breed of eejits got no coverage either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Zoie Cold Forefinger

The French would hsve guillotined Harris and othrrs over their handling of the new childrens hospital (tne most expensive ever builr worldwide) and newly qualified nurses being paid €13.50ph, less thsn clesning stsff.

Which has what to do with media coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It’s also worth noting that most news is now consumed online. If a story is only generating 500 clicks a day, journalists would be directed to other stories that generate 5000 clicks instead as each click generates revenue. That’s the realities of free news.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Listen I know it's a Monday Morning in February but lighten up a bit man, I already explained that I was being tongue in cheek, but there is actually a serious point too, that in relative terms, French coverage of Brexit is weak. I don't read Le Figaro but that's my impression from Libération and Aujourd'hui, as well as French Radio coverage. Compare that to Ireland and Britain where huge resources are poured into discussing Brexit, probably at the cost to other issues of public importance.
    Brexit is important to France, but not nearly as important as it is to Ireland (or, obviously, the UK) so Brexit coverage in the French media will be correspondingly more limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Or Filly Joans as Joe Duffy calls them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

No, that's not what censorship is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There were yellow vest protests in London, and they didn't make the news either. Crazy situation, I've been following the situation in France through periscope and twitter, the parisienne fire brigade have been fighting the cops and THAT didn't even make the news. There are scores of wounded, a few dead and nothing from RTE or BBC.

We really don’t have a news service anymore. People in the 19C and early 20C used to buy newspapers that were just that - no opinions, one editorial, some serialised stories, but mostly news. News reports. Court reports. Correspondents throughout the empire and beyond.

News from everywhere. If you finished the Times of London you knew what was happening from the assizes in Inverness, land agitation in Tipperary, South American riots, to an uprising in Timbuktu. Reports from whatever war zone was going on.

Now newspapers are basically opinion driven, even the best ones. The tabloids are not news and the broadsheets are barely news. The TV news is either local or parochial or subject to the ideological whims of the editor. Look at the non coverage of Yemen.

Advertisement