Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International women's day Mass protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

By access to power I am referring to the many many well funded (taxpayer funded) lobby groups that pile pressure on Government Ministers to fund their causes, which is one reason why an abused husband has no where to go and an abused wife has way more options.

Has it escaped your attention that those same Government Ministers are predominantly male? I wouldn’t say they ultimately have the power to determine how or where public funds are distributed, but they have more of a say than women all the same. The lack of domestic violence shelters for men isn’t so much a lack of funding issue so much as it is simply a lack of demand issue. I dunno about you, but I think there’s enough public funds wasted on vanity projects already without wasting more money on domestic violence shelters for men when there appears to be no demand for them. They’re not an ideal place for women and their children either.

A woman in this country has better access to education, health and justice than a man in this country....surely in an egalitarian state this would not happen!

You’re going to have to be a hell of a lot more specific than that, because access to education isn’t determined by sex, nor is access to health, nor access to justice. Depending upon your perspective of course your point of view is going to be coloured one way or the other, but as far as policies are concerned, your claims just don’t stand up.

Now, I don't believe is has gotten as bad here as it is in other countries like the US, but with weak willed ministers like Harris, and Mitchell O'Connor anything is possible.

Other countries like the US are bad? Jesus Christ. Again you’re pointing to a country where you claim women have an unfair power and influence over men, yet it’s generally men in the positions of power and influence who come up with the policies under which both men and women tend to suffer.

Gender quotas, which are manifestly undemocratic have been implemented across this state and most other states in the developed world....I assure you, I am not making anything up!

I genuinely don’t mind gender quotas tbh. They’re based upon the presumption that a person’s political views are based upon their sex. It’s only a matter of time before they’ll have to go back to the drawing board when it isn’t panning out the way it’s implementors had hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

What's all this? Another unpaid day off ladies?

That's not going to do much to close the wage gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Imagine all the wheely bins which won't be collected that day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭TheDavester

If it was cheaper to hire/pay a woman than a man, why aren’t companies mainly female or hiring only female

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

If it was cheaper to hire/pay a woman than a man, why aren’t companies mainly female?

Because the gender pay gap is a lie that has been repeated so many times that people now seem to believe it's true. You never hear the same people complaining about the lack of men working in fields such as nursing, teaching or childcare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Has it escaped your attention that those same Government Ministers are predominantly male? I wouldn’t say they ultimately have the power to determine how or where public funds are distributed, but they have more of a say than women all the same. The lack of domestic violence shelters for men isn’t so much a lack of funding issue so much as it is simply a lack of demand issue. I dunno about you, but I think there’s enough public funds wasted on vanity projects already without wasting more money on domestic violence shelters for men when there appears to be no demand for them. They’re not an ideal place for women and their children either.

You’re going to have to be a hell of a lot more specific than that, because access to education isn’t determined by sex, nor is access to health, nor access to justice. Depending upon your perspective of course your point of view is going to be coloured one way or the other, but as far as policies are concerned, your claims just don’t stand up.

Other countries like the US are bad? Jesus Christ. Again you’re pointing to a country where you claim women have an unfair power and influence over men, yet it’s generally men in the positions of power and influence who come up with the policies under which both men and women tend to suffer.

I genuinely don’t mind gender quotas tbh. They’re based upon the presumption that a person’s political views are based upon their sex. It’s only a matter of time before they’ll have to go back to the drawing board when it isn’t panning out the way it’s implementors had hoped.

Jesus, you really have drank the cool aid...do you really believe that men are not physically, emotionally abused in large numbers, men are by some distance least likely to report abuse, (approx 5% of abused men will report abuse it is believed)for obvious reasons.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mens-domestic-abuse-ireland-3734811-Dec2017/

Access to third level education is gained through our points system, girls have been outperforming boys for decades allowing them greater options when it comes to education, except in STEM of course which is now subject to all kinds of equality programs....imagine if it was the other way round!

The state offers women healthcare that is not extended to men, certain cancer treatments for example, men die younger.

A woman in this country will receive a lower sentence than a man for a comparable crime (I am aware that men commit much more crimes), if a woman murders her husband she will not receive the same sentence as a man who murders his wife, she is more likely to avoid a conviction by some distance either, the same applies for all types of crimes that people commit.

Take a look at the kangaroo courts US Universities that have done huge damage to many young men. https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2015/07/06/campus-rape-lie/

Just because women are not succeeding in getting elected in the same numbers as men does not mean there is something inherently wrong with the system or the electorate...it is very very difficult to get elected and it should be....it is not perfect, but reform the entire system as opposed to shoe horning individuals based on a collective identity.

Political Quotas are undemocratic, full stop, we wouldn't tolerate a quota of catholics, or muslims or any other collective, nor should we...the people we elect represent all of us, man or woman...until the lobby groups get their teeth into them that is!

We need to rid ourselves of our belief that it is only one gender that is problematic, it is doing more harm than good.

A walkout led by Ruth Coppinger. What a surprise. Daft uainseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'm female and so sick of this sh***.

I've never been denied access to anything specifically because I'm female.

Paid equally, no complaints. The only women I know personally who are in favour of gender quotas etc.are the ones who wouldn't advance without them.

Men and women can never be fully equal because guess what, we are different! Physically, mentally etc. It's like apples and oranges.

Most men treat me well, as do must women. Some people are just assholes but gender is irrelevant.

Men & women compliment each other and it's the differences that make it work.

Usually anything Ruth Coppinger supports, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

A load of white, middle class, blue haired college sjw students and eternally " oppressed " women, it sounds like a fun protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Paid equally, no complaints. The only women I know personally who are in favour of gender quotas etc.are the ones who wouldn't advance without them.

Men and women can never be fully equal because guess what, we are different! Physically, mentally etc. It's like apples and oranges.

Most men treat me well, as do must women. Some people are just assholes but gender is irrelevant.

is there an election coming up, Ruth seems desperate to get the feminist/woke/sjw vote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

Absolutely agree a gazillion %.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

After hours is the best advertising for why it's still needed. You will all be on bleating about men's day, nasty feminists and how women have it sooo easy .
    It would give you a pain in your hole.

And you'll be bleating on the in same thread how every day is men's day.

Has any company been named yet, for paying men more than women for doing the exact same work/ hours ??? I wonder how many successful, career women will be attending this march, zero id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

is there an election coming up, Ruth seems desperate to get the feminist/woke/sjw vote

Well stuff like this beats doing actual work to help her constituents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

After hours is the best advertising for why it's still needed. You will all be on bleating about men's day, nasty feminists and how women have it sooo easy .

Not really. That's also a complete cliché.

Not really. That's also a complete cliché.

Has any company been named yet, for paying men more than women for doing the exact same work/ hours ??? I wonder how many successful, career women will be attending this march, zero id say.

Don't know if it's for the same hours and work but Citigroup have been
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-01-16/citigroup-reveals-its-female-employees-earn-29-less-than-men-do

Again I'm not saying that they are paying less for the same hours and work just pointing out where a company has been named and the company has said that there is a gap as per your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A call for mass walkout protest for international women's day, to end:

An end to gender-based violence and harassment;

Closure of the gender pay gap;

An end to precarious conditions in work and housing;

Solidarity with the struggle for abortion rights in the North.

https://www.thejournal.ie/international-womens-day-walkout-4487752-Feb2019/

The last one is probably the only realistic one. Will you be walking out for international women's day?

What do we want?

All of the things!

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Don't know if it's for the same hours and work but Citigroup have been
    https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2019-01-16/citigroup-reveals-its-female-employees-earn-29-less-than-men-do

Again I'm not saying that they are paying less for the same hours and work just pointing out where a company has been named and the company has said that there is a gap as per your post.

Around the same time, and under pressure from Arjuna Capital, Citigroup and several other big U.S. banks reported a different measure for U.S. employees. Instead of comparing the median pay for men and women, the banks “adjusted’’ the pay gap to account for job title, seniority, education and other factors that affect compensation. All the banks, including Citigroup, reported that after adjustments, there was almost no pay gap between men and women.

Now i dont know if thats the bank trying to cover itself , but people can skew the data to get results thats suits them. That happens on both sides of the argument. But with the variables involved regarding hours, time spent with the company, production etc it'd be very easy to get the answers you want.

i'll give you an example. I worked in retail a few years ago , i got around 9 euro an hour starting off. A women i worked with got about 13 euro an hour because she'd been with the company for 10 years. We did the same work but cos she was there longer she got an extra 4 euro an hour. So theres your gender pay gap in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

When I read the thread title, I thought it was something about protesting at mass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

A call for mass walkout protest for international women's day, to end:

An end to gender-based violence and harassment;

Closure of the gender pay gap;

An end to precarious conditions in work and housing;

Solidarity with the struggle for abortion rights in the North.

https://www.thejournal.ie/international-womens-day-walkout-4487752-Feb2019/

The last one is probably the only realistic one. Will you be walking out for international women's day?
    What pay gap? The wamyn are going to protest against a myth. And if this protest is going to be anything like the US Womens March, they're going to need a ragbag of sadistic murders and anti-Semites to serve as leaders (and make it authentic).

they should go protest the countries where women can't have a mass protest
    This is approximately equivalent to asking why Fathers' rights protesters aren't instead campaigning for fathers' rights under the religious laws of Iran.

It's such a self-evidently stupid argument, I doubt it needs elaboration.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Jesus, you really have drank the cool aid...do you really believe that men are not physically, emotionally abused in large numbers, men are by some distance least likely to report abuse, (approx 5% of abused men will report abuse it is believed)for obvious reasons.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mens-domestic-abuse-ireland-3734811-Dec2017/

Hold on a second. We were discussing the need for domestic violence shelters for men. That has nothing to do with whether or not I believe that men are physically and emotionally abused in large numbers. It has to do with whether or not there is a demand for domestic violence shelters for men. I’ve already stated that I don’t believe domestic violence shelters are ideal places for women and children, so without drinking any koolaid, why would I ever want to advocate that funding should go towards providing inadequate and inappropriate services for men? That wouldn’t make any bloody sense.

Access to third level education is gained through our points system, girls have been outperforming boys for decades allowing them greater options when it comes to education, except in STEM of course which is now subject to all kinds of equality programs....imagine if it was the other way round!

Girls have not been outperforming boys for decades, and access to third level education is not solely governed by the points system either. There are numerous avenues into third level education now that weren’t there for previous generations whose families simply could not afford a third level education for their children. STEM isn’t some great be all and end all of education, and the numbers of women enrolling in STEM courses still doesn’t come close to even threatening the numbers of male applicants applying for STEM courses. According to CSO figures from 2016, teaching was by far and away the most popular choice for students entering third level education. The teaching profession has been screaming out for more men to enter the profession since the early 2000’s. They won’t. Why? It has very little to do with being accused of any untoward behaviour around children, and a lot more to do with the fact that employment opportunities and conditions are just grim. I don’t have to imagine if it was the other way round. Even when it is the other way round - men simply don’t want to enter female dominated professions. They aren’t prevented from entering female dominated professions, but men simply don’t want to work under those conditions. I can’t say I blame them. I wouldn’t either.

The state offers women healthcare that is not extended to men, certain cancer treatments for example, men die younger.

That simply comes down to cost effectiveness. There wouldn’t be much of a point in offering women treatment for prostate cancer, would there? In the same way, there isn’t much point in offering boys the HPV vaccine, a point made by Dr. Diane Solomon, head of the National Cancer Institute in the US, who so astutely observes -

Men don’t have a cervix

Yet in this country the same Minister Harris whom you criticised earlier announced last August -

Boys to get HPV vaccine in 2019

A woman in this country will receive a lower sentence than a man for a comparable crime (I am aware that men commit much more crimes), if a woman murders her husband she will not receive the same sentence as a man who murders his wife, she is more likely to avoid a conviction by some distance either, the same applies for all types of crimes that people commit.

Again, sentencing is not based solely upon a person’s sex, but a number of factors which are taken into consideration in each individual case. It doesn’t even come down to whether or not men commit more crimes or the types of crimes committed by either sex.

Every time there’s a thread on here where a man has been convicted of rape or sexual assault, there are a number of men pile in with stories of how they claim to have had experiences which didn’t cause them any upset, so by that same token which is their standards for themselves - a woman shouldn’t be upset if she is sexually assaulted by a man. Those men are just as entitled to make a complaint as women are, but they don’t, and then they complain when women complain as though women shouldn’t complain either?

Why should anyone else live by that standard? You say that men don’t report domestic violence and sexual assault, but women who do report domestic violence and sexual assault are still at fault, somehow? Again, how does that make any sense?

Take a look at the kangaroo courts US Universities that have done huge damage to many young men. https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2015/07/06/campus-rape-lie/[/url]

And you accuse me of drinking the koolaid? A mere handful of cases in US universities where young men’s lives are ruined, is supposed to hold a candle to the number of women whose lives are ruined by sexual assault committed upon them by men in US Universities? They’re a ridiculous concept of course, but if you’re going to complain about them, you have to acknowledge the reason they came into existence in the first place.

Just because women are not succeeding in getting elected in the same numbers as men does not mean there is something inherently wrong with the system or the electorate...it is very very difficult to get elected and it should be....it is not perfect, but reform the entire system as opposed to shoe horning individuals based on a collective identity.

Political Quotas are undemocratic, full stop, we wouldn't tolerate a quota of catholics, or muslims or any other collective, nor should we...the people we elect represent all of us, man or woman...until the lobby groups get their teeth into them that is!

Elections are entirely based upon shoehorning individuals into positions of power based upon a collective identity. We don’t live in a direct democracy, we live in a representative democracy, and that’s why quotas are being introduced. They are the very core principle of a representative democracy - representation! Currently in Irish politics there is inarguably a lack of representation of women, and quotas are a means to redress that imbalance where there are a majority of men who represent both men and women. Of course it’s understandable that you’re unlikely to notice this disparity if you’re a man, but equally understandable is the fact that if you’re a woman, it’s pretty hard to miss :pac:

We need to rid ourselves of our belief that it is only one gender that is problematic, it is doing more harm than good.

But you’re continually perpetuating it by suggesting that women have more influence and power than they deserve? You have yet to quantify just how much power you imagine women do “deserve” given that they make up half the population of this country? If anyone were to say “men have more power and influence than they deserve”, you’d lose your shìt, so why do you think then that it’s ok to say something like that about women, and then say that we need to rid ourselves of the belief that only one gender is problematic? You acknowledge that it does more harm than good, yet your own ideas are no different than the people you’re criticising!

I've posted this before, but still relevant:

Here’s a scenario:
    Imagine a company of 200 people. 50 male scientists and 50 female scientists, each earing €100k. The rest of the staff is made up of ancillary work like cleaners, security guards, receptionists, typists etc. By some quirk, every one of those people is paid exactly the same, say €30k, regardless of job, religion or sex.

This is the very definition of an equal pay workforce. All men and women are paid the same as their colleagues doing the same job, whether they are scientists or cleaners.

If the ancillary staff are made up of 20 men and 80 women though, this skews the reading of the statistics. All of a sudden, the men in that equal pay company earn an average of €80k per year while the women only take home an average that is less than €57k.

40% Paygap, outta nowhere.

The irony is that to correct this imbalance, the correct thing to do would be to fire 30 women and hire the same number of men in their place.

How’s that for equality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

This is approximately equivalent to asking why Fathers' rights protesters aren't instead campaigning for fathers' rights under the religious laws of Iran.

It's such a self-evidently stupid argument, I doubt it needs elaboration.
    What rights are not being met for women here? It disgusts me the way it's pretended we are oppressed here - an absolute insult to the women around the world experiencing unimaginable abuse. As a woman I won the lottery being born in Ireland. Ever hear of menstrual huts?

There are some misogynistic assholes in the West of course (and by god is hardline feminism grist to their mill) but what oppression do we suffer?

What rights are not being met for women here? It disgusts me the way it's pretended we are oppressed here - an absolute insult to the women around the world experiencing unimaginable abuse. As a woman I won the lottery being born in Ireland. Ever hear of menstrual huts?

There are some misogynistic assholes in the West of course (and by god is hardline feminism grist to their mill) but what oppression do we suffer?

Yep, its certainly causing a backlash for people to continue to focus on issues that are questionable like the Gender pay gap considering some of the things that are wrong in the world with the way that women are treated. I think the feminist movement would have a lot less backlash and a lot more respect if they focused less on the issues of middle class white women in the west.

I am not for a second saying that there are not sill issues to be addressed but the focus no longer needs to be on Western society.

What rights are not being met for women here?
    The fact that men and women can't share parental leave, which happens in other European countries. That's a biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭tritium

That simply comes down to cost effectiveness. There wouldn’t be much of a point in offering women treatment for prostate cancer, would there? In the same way, there isn’t much point in offering boys the HPV vaccine, a point made by Dr. Diane Solomon, head of the National Cancer Institute in the US, who so astutely observes -

Men don’t have a cervix

Yet in this country the same Minister Harris whom you criticised earlier announced last August -

Boys to get HPV vaccine in 2019

!

Umm, this one isn’t quite so simple. Initially when I saw your link I thought, Jesus who is Dr Solomon, she’s a bit of an idiot. Actually though when you read the article it’s a bit more nuanced, and very much influenced by considerations inherent to the US - there is actually very good reasons to extend vaccination to boys, and it’s a shame that it wasn’t applied here sooner.

https://www.rcpi.ie/news/releases/extending-hpv-vaccine-to-boys-why-is-it-so-important/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I think they should have been incredibly embarrassed by the home made signs they put on the desk. Could they not figure out a printer and/or printing services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

We should allow women to work longer hours to earn the same as men.
    There, problem solved.

Advertisement