Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International women's day Mass protest

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've posted this before, but still relevant:

Here’s a scenario:
    Imagine a company of 200 people. 50 male scientists and 50 female scientists, each earing €100k. The rest of the staff is made up of ancillary work like cleaners, security guards, receptionists, typists etc. By some quirk, every one of those people is paid exactly the same, say €30k, regardless of job, religion or sex.

This is the very definition of an equal pay workforce. All men and women are paid the same as their colleagues doing the same job, whether they are scientists or cleaners.

If the ancillary staff are made up of 20 men and 80 women though, this skews the reading of the statistics. All of a sudden, the men in that equal pay company earn an average of €80k per year while the women only take home an average that is less than €57k.

40% Paygap, outta nowhere.

The irony is that to correct this imbalance, the correct thing to do would be to fire 30 women and hire the same number of men in their place.

How’s that for equality?

Away out here with your sense and your maths.

Rabble rabble, patriarchy, oppression........money please.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

tritium wrote: »
    Umm, this one isn’t quite so simple. Initially when I saw your link I thought, Jesus who is Dr Solomon, she’s a bit of an idiot. Actually though when you read the article it’s a bit more nuanced, and very much influenced by considerations inherent to the US - there is actually very good reasons to extend vaccination to boys, and it’s a shame that it wasn’t applied here sooner.

https://www.rcpi.ie/news/releases/extending-hpv-vaccine-to-boys-why-is-it-so-important/

No you’re right, to be fair, but the point I was making is that these decisions with regard to treatments offered aren’t based upon sex, but rather they are based upon cost effectiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

No you’re right, to be fair, but the point I was making is that these decisions with regard to treatments offered aren’t based upon sex, but rather they are based upon cost effectiveness.

Ah so it is cheaper to provide women with healthcare, so why bother offering men any...good stuff.

Even if you don't agree with the service, it must be cheaper to provide domestic abuse shelters to women also....men would probably insist on cigars and snooker tables and the likes!!

It must be waaay cheaper to jail men than women!

What rights do you think women aren't getting as a consequence of not electing a lot of women?

Because the only right I have, as a man, that a women doesn't is that I won't get prosecuted for walking around town topless!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ah so it is cheaper to provide women with healthcare, so why bother offering men any...good stuff.

No, that’s nothing like what I said. You mentioned treatments for certain cancers and both prostate and cervical cancer were the first two that came to mind as cancers specifically related to a person’s sex. The point I was making is that these policy decisions aren’t based upon sex, they’re based upon cost effectiveness. The recent debate over the availability and funding of Orkambi is a better example of the influence of cost effectiveness with regard to the availability and funding of treatments -

Huge cost of Orkambi deal will be major challenge for HSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I try to just ignore all the “days” - cancer, women, men, lupus, whatever. I can never work up an interest because I find each respective day just to be a lot of white noise as so much is being said on the topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

So it is being organised by Ruth "My solution to every private company dispute is to nationalise them." Coppinger.

How did she get elected again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So it is being organised by Ruth "My solution to every private company dispute is to nationalise them." Coppinger.

How did she get elected again?

D'people. But still the people are never listed to or have their voices heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A load of white, middle class, blue haired college sjw students and eternally " oppressed " women, it sounds like a fun protest.

No point rocking up in the hope of getting one's hole I'd opine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Sounds like a complete circle jerk for feminazis.

Any person with half a brain won't buy into this BS.

It's a side effect of living in the west (first world), people have it too easy and dream up **** to be offended by. I wish these nuts jobs would actually invest their time into worthy causes.

There will always be sexist people, both men and women.

These feminazis would have you believe that women all over Ireland are being oppressed, that's bs, it's all about personality, there are woman I know that would chew up any man and spit him out. Work or home, there will always be someone with a dominating personality, whether that's man or female.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Coming up to the Repeal referendum (I was a yes voter) there were numerous voices on social media saying Ireland was like Gilead (in The Handmaid's Tale) and actually being serious. :rolleyes:
    The fact that men and women can't share parental leave, which happens in other European countries. That's a biggie.
    That's a people issue, not just a women's one. Working together would help to bridge the gap, but some folk seem intent on widening it.

• Advertisement

I think Ruth got her answer today. 50 protesters partially blocked O’Connell Bridge. Wowsers.

https://www.thejournal.ie/walkout-womens-day-4530990-Mar2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Earth shattering stuff, better luck next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Happy "Shoving it down everyones throats, how great women are and how **** men are" Day everyone.

Advertisement