Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frugality and Irish Society

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

sheesh wrote: »
    I think you are all wrong there are flashy people and frugal people in all the countries mentioned in this thread. Germany creates some of the flashiest cars in the world they didn't pick that up by chance it is because there is a market for those kinds of cars in that country.

Plenty of impressive architecture in those countries too because it impresses, some brits love to make a splash some German Dutch Danish like to put on a show too plenty of irish i know deliberately held off buying a house during the boom because they knew the crash was coming. one guy i know sold his apartment in tallaght at the height of the boom went off working in Australia in telecoms he now has a house in a nice part of cork which he bought when prices were low.

The Italians make the really flash super cars and besides, Germany is the number one exporting nation in the world

sheesh wrote: »
    one guy i know sold his apartment in tallaght at the height of the boom went off working in Australia in telecoms he now has a house in a nice part of cork which he bought when prices were low.
    People love to quote statistical anomalies, but how much of this is down to a sort of cognitive bias?

How many people do you know who went OTT during that period, as compared to your Australian immigrant friend?

Germany has experienced dearly steady economic growth in the past few decades, and yet has managed to strike an impressive balance between wage inflation and living standards.

We struggle with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

A more important question is....has the Irish Times become the national pulpit?

It used to deliver the news in a factual, objective manner...so that we might think through an issue for ourselves.

Now the shrill moral tones from O'Toole, Boyd and Mullally are almost unbearable...its like being back at mass in the 80's, on a cold wet Sunday, with the smell of overcooked cabbage lingering in your nostrils.

Think I'll subscribe to the Telegraph.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

OleRodrigo wrote: »

It used to deliver the news in a factual, objective manner...so that we might think through an issue for ourselves.

Now the shrill moral tones from O'Toole, Boyd and Mullally are almost unbearable...its like being back at mass in the 80's, on a cold wet Sunday, with the smell of overcooked cabbage lingering in your nostrils.

The Irish Times has been anti Irish since it began. https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/how-the-irish-times-reported-the-fenian-rising-150-years-ago-1.2998474

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think Irish people as a group have some kind of need to fill up a pit of despair or emptiness within themselves, be it conscious or unconscious, with all forms of 'enjoyment' eg alcohol, constant shopping. We want, want, want all the time and we keep filling up with temporary thrills. It's because we're very insecure and lacking in self esteem imo. People from other countries I think are able to get joy from simpler living. They manage to feel defined by who they are rather than what they have. Very small example but a French lady I know will invite you to her house for lunch and make a big deal about basically some crusty bread and a glass of wine. She is so relaxed she pulls it off beautifully. In reverse no Irish person would invite a guest for lunch and give them a slice of bread. And then there's the whole Danish hygge where if I understand it properly is all about embracing cosy simple pleasures. It's not enough for us here in Ireland to have enough, we want more all the time. Not everyone obviously but I definitely think success in Ireland is measured very much by how much you own.

As an Irish person who's looked into that I'm pretty sure it's about buying more expensive beer and fancier candles?? :pac:

I'd say a lot of it comes from a historical context of poverty and state/private sector corruption. My dad's from a very working class background, my mother a much more middle class one (in the context of mid-late 20th century Ireland; her father a teacher, her grandfather a gard). The difference in their attitudes to money is very noticeable. My dad is very good at making money and absolutely allergic to it when he then has it, my mother would be much more of a tipping away and saving away person. He'll get some lump sum and almost frantically spend it on whatever he or his family/friends wants at that given moment (e.g fancy dinners, nights out, random antiques for the house), she'll put it either in sensible things like pensions or big one off splurges like holidays.

They balance each other out, she keeps him more sensible, he introduces a bit of "ah fcuk it let's splash out".

I've elements of both in myself, coming from them, and I try to be conscious of both. She comes from a place where you work hard to follow a defined path with clear outcomes and a lot of stability, the bodies of the state will protect you; he comes from a place where there's not as much opportunity or stability, if you have money today that's no guarantee of next week and the bodies of the state (are perceived to) work to take any money you try and build up, and if they don't some other fcuker will. He also grew up in the middle of the Troubles and I'd say that had an influence too, "you can't take it with you" probably lands more with a young person experiencing that, and again, more distrust of establishment narratives.

I'm not saying it's rational but it's a pretty common, and I think understandable, phenomenon for impoverished or working class demographics globally.

On the point of socio-cultural and religious influences yeah I have myself and I see in some of my peers a definite Catholic thing of accumulation of capital being icky, but just splurging that income day to day before it can accumulate being for some reason grand, particularly if you're spending it on or with other people :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Now the shrill moral tones from O'Toole, Boyd and Mullally are almost unbearable...its like being back at mass in the 80's.

I opened the home page of the opinion section on my phone a few months back and the titles of the first five editorials all contained the word "we", as if this comically insular, unrepresentative and (ironically given what they preach) monocultural cabal has both the measure of the national psyche and the correct pathway for us to take for the future.

If The Irish Times believes so much in reform and progress how come they never touch the legal system-one hugely important part of society that 90% of people would agree needs an overhaul? I'll tell you why-it's because they're as thick as fckng thieves.

sabat wrote: »
    I opened the home page of the opinion section on my phone a few months back and the titles of the first five editorials all contained the word "we", as if this comically insular, unrepresentative and (ironically given what they preach) monocultural cabal has both the measure of the national psyche and the correct pathway for us to take for the future.

If The Irish Times believes so much in reform and progress how come they never touch the legal system-one hugely important part of society that 90% of people would agree needs an overhaul? I'll tell you why-it's because they're as thick as fckng thieves.

100%.

And as for the BLT commentators - the good ones packed it in ages ago. Now there's just a cohort of sycophants and nutjobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I don't always agree with Úna Mullaly, but I reckon she got it spot on in today's opinion piece in the Irish Times*, when she discussed Irish people's association with money, and to paraphrase, a tendency among Irish people to act like brash, rich Americans at the first whiff of money, and an apathy towards Governments who behave similarly.

Is this something you agree with? I'm Irish, but for me, waste of money is the most frustrating thing about life in Ireland, bar none. Why are some people so capable of brushing it off? It's as if we've been so long impoverished down the centuries, that money is something we only conceive in the abstract, something beyond our fate.

Do you have this mindset towards money? Do you notice this mindset as an Irish social trait as against the norms you observe in other places?

YES.

Watching personal finance TV shows will confirm that there are loads of people overspending, and getting into debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If you had english people at your wedding you will see what people mean when they say they are tight with money, they give tiny gifts.

Irish friend of mine getting married in Shrewsbury.

8,000 GBP, reception in a castle, incl. photographer and DJ, and accomm.

Typical spend here is 20k euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

People love to quote statistical anomalies, but how much of this is down to a sort of cognitive bias?

How many people do you know who went OTT during that period, as compared to your Australian immigrant friend?

Germany has experienced dearly steady economic growth in the past few decades, and yet has managed to strike an impressive balance between wage inflation and living standards.

We struggle with this.

You know houses reached $1.2M on average in Sydney, falling to $1M now.

Fairly odd comparison. Germany is fairly frugal, to the detriment of Europe in fact.

Edit. But not as frugal as Ireland.

• Advertisement

It’s been a pulpit for a while now. It’s hectoring tones are really class driven, as you said it’s the plain people of Ireland who get it in the neck, not the refined burghers of the leafy burbs.

You see that here in this thread too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Not a fan of Mullally (and particularly the way she wouldn't dream of generalising about other groups) or Irish self flagellation, but I do think there is a truth to this.

As others have said, it seems like it could be a hangover from the days of having very little (which didn't end that long ago). Some of the excessive spending which is a casual part of life, by people who aren't rolling in money, is pretty astounding. Of course it's not just an Irish thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Anyone who condemns frivolous spending would do well to have a think on how their sector of the economy would fare if it stopped. If people only bought small cars, only drove them when necessary, and held on to them for 15 years, that would result in a lot of redundancies in the motor and allied trades. Only replacing clothes when they wear out. Not a good idea for the rag trade.

And a hundred more example which I'm sure people could come up with. If people can afford it (and only if they can afford it) in general it must be good for the economy. Maybe neighbours could share one copy of the IT as a move towards frugality. Una would no doubt approve.

People saving and investing more would benefit my industry. Stop pissing your money away people!
    😉

It’s been a pulpit for a while now. It’s hectoring tones are really class driven, as you said it’s the plain people of Ireland who get it in the neck, not the refined burghers of the leafy burbs.

You see that here in this thread too.

I wouldn't mind but O'Toole is one of the biggest offenders despite his tendency to remind us of his humble roots.

It would be interesting to run a scan on his articles to see how many times words such as ' decency, shame, working class, proud, middle class, moral authority ' are used.

Amounts to little more than Page 3 for navel gazers, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Originally Posted by Mrsmum View Post
    I think Irish people as a group have some kind of need to fill up a pit of despair or emptiness within themselves, be it conscious or unconscious, with all forms of 'enjoyment' eg alcohol, constant shopping. We want, want, want all the time and we keep filling up with temporary thrills. It's because we're very insecure and lacking in self esteem imo. People from other countries I think are able to get joy from simpler living. They manage to feel defined by who they are rather than what they have. Very small example but a French lady I know will invite you to her house for lunch and make a big deal about basically some crusty bread and a glass of wine. She is so relaxed she pulls it off beautifully. In reverse no Irish person would invite a guest for lunch and give them a slice of bread. And then there's the whole Danish hygge where if I understand it properly is all about embracing cosy simple pleasures. It's not enough for us here in Ireland to have enough, we want more all the time. Not everyone obviously but I definitely think success in Ireland is measured very much by how much you own.
    Think you've really hit the nail on the head, great post.

Agree fully. Also many who love frugally have no real choice. You cannot spend what you don;t have...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

There was one day in 2007 I think...at the Galway Races there was over 3,000 helicopter movements...I think it is fair to say we are no good with money.

Actually, I find Irish people are either end of the extremes...either very brash or very unpretentious!

I lived in Clare, overlooking the Burren and Galway Bay at the time.
    There was an endless stream of helicopters going past our house. There would be 2-3 of them in the air at any one time.
    Wasn't this around the time protesters erected a "democracy for sale" sign at the FF tent?

As for Irish people and money, I think the Irish preload their life and Germans do it bit by bit.
    In Ireland a couple would get married and they would have the massive €20k wedding, two weeks Barbados, buy a house, fully furnish it, two cars and then spend the rest of their lives paying off a loan that is equivalent to the GDP of Nicaragua.
    And then hire a helicopter and One Direction for the communions of each of their kids.
    But I think that's also more a Celtic Tiger thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I think we just be living in parallel universes. I find Irish a lot of Irish people are extremely frugal with many things. It's not unusual here to find people freaking out about water heating and penny pinching on very many normal things. I know plenty of households where the heating is rationed, where all the shopping is done in the cheapest places possible and where there are very very few luxuries.

Some people are high spenders, I don't think the majority of people are though. A lot of people also aren't impressed by conspicuous consumption.

For every crazy Celtic Tiger wedding there were plenty of guests tutting at the extravagance.

Most people seem to spend the majority of their time scrimping and saving to cover extortionately expensive property prices to provide pretty simple levels of accomodation, particularly when compared with most households in say most parts of the US.

I know plenty of houses here where furnishing is cheap or sparse too compared to many households I would be very familiar with on continent.

Also costs in Ireland are VERY high for things like groceries and basic items. It's largely down to the fact that we are at the end of a long supply chain and have much less competitive markets for many of those things due to scale. If you compare grocery prices in Germany or even France, Ireland's drastically more expensive and it's down to lack of choices not consumers.

I think the one thing we are good at, and maybe that does come from Catholic confession culture, is guilty articles about how bad we think we are. Self flagellation is definitely a thing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Credit good, cheap credit even better, what can go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Anyone who condemns frivolous spending would do well to have a think on how their sector of the economy would fare if it stopped. If people only bought small cars, only drove them when necessary, and held on to them for 15 years, that would result in a lot of redundancies in the motor and allied trades. Only replacing clothes when they wear out. Not a good idea for the rag trade.

And a hundred more example which I'm sure people could come up with. If people can afford it (and only if they can afford it) in general it must be good for the economy. Maybe neighbours could share one copy of the IT as a move towards frugality. Una would no doubt approve.

Many of the sectors in this country are fake. They don't really do anything

A useless trinket with a circuit board comes in from Shenzhen. The government gets a small cut, the wholesaler gets a cut, reseller makes a few bob on it, if it was bought online the courier will make a few quid, sometimes someone might make a few quid from installing said trinket followed by eventually the rubbish collection company getting the last few quid on it before sending it back to China or some betrodden place in Africa.

Large swaths of the working population in Ireland produce nothing of value

Edit: I forgot to mention the do-nothing repairman who eventually comes out and charges a hefty callout fee to say "ah sorry lad that trinket is fecked buy a new one" and justifies this high callout fee by citing high insurance costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,976 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Works both ways though.

If no-one saved any money either, the economy wouldn't function.

We need savers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone spending €1000 a year buying the Irish Times in print 6 days a week to read this crap sure ain't frugal.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

A useless trinket with a circuit board comes in from Shenzhen. The government gets a small cut, the wholesaler gets a cut, reseller makes a few bob on it, if it was bought online the courier will make a few quid, sometimes someone might make a few quid from installing said trinket followed by eventually the rubbish collection company getting the last few quid on it before sending it back to China or some betrodden place in Africa.

Edit: I forgot to mention the do-nothing repairman who eventually comes out and charges a hefty callout fee to say "ah sorry lad that trinket is fecked buy a new one" and justifies this high callout fee by citing high insurance costs

All along those transactions some value was in fact added or service provided, including the repair. In fact they all literally add a tax on the value added, or service provided.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Works both ways though.

If no-one saved any money either, the economy wouldn't function.

We need savers.

It would actually as savings are not in fact needed for investment despite what is commonly taught. That said a low savings economy has obvious long term individual problems.

You've just described a supply chain and modern capitalism. I don't really see what this has to do with Ireland, what you'd propose to replace it with ? Perhaps build your own circuit board and mine your own minerals, smelt them and so on?

I mean, yes, globally we produce too much e-waste, but other than that, I'm not entirely sure how this is unique to Ireland or what alternative model you'd suggest? North Korean style self sufficiency perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It is a much deeper issue that it appears.

To some, the car with the badge or newly built house or spending lots when socialising etc, is intrinsically associated with who they see themselves as and for example things like staying in a hostel or thrift or a modest lifestyle for them equals meanness.

Anyway, all these things are supposed to be some legacy of the famine it produced a spend it now philosophy because you never know what is around the corner.

Have I gone back in time to 2008?

Again though, I just see people describing consumer societies generally, not Ireland specifically.

I've lived in the US and in comparison Ireland's very laid back, more community oriented and not all that pushed about some of this stuff.
    I remember being asked directly how much I earned and I know people who've asked people out based entirely on how much money they have and were absolutely blatant about it. For a lot of people, life was about how much money you had, how big your house was, how many branded items you had. Whether you were a 'winner' or 'a looser' and that usually meant financially.

I genuinely don't think Ireland's a very money-grabbing society in comparison at all.

Have I gone back in time to 2008?

Well, possibly an imagined version of it where we all do our grocery shopping by flying in our helicopters to Harrods Food Hall, rather than going in a 2008 hatchback to Aldi like the majority of us actually do.

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote: »
    You've just described a supply chain and modern capitalism. I don't really see what this has to do with Ireland, what you'd propose to replace it with ? Perhaps build your own circuit board and mine your own minerals, smelt them and so on?

I mean, yes, globally we produce too much e-waste, but other than that, I'm not entirely sure how this is unique to Ireland or what alternative model you'd suggest? North Korean style self sufficiency perhaps?

Even North Korea has a supply chain. The only way to avoid it is pre modern societies. Even pre agricultural societies.

Advertisement