Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incident at Roscommon hotel (asylum seekers)

• 12-02-2019 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭

Breaking on twitter. Guards have building and surrounding area sealed off as crime scene. Fire brigade there too but no fire. Googled the hotel because its disused, but its home to a load of asylum seekers.

Any news?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/fire-strikes-rooskey-asylum-seeker-hotel-for-second-time-in-a-month-37806931.html

That's a fierce unlucky place by the sound of it. Asylum seekers would be taking their lives into their hands moving in there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The insurance angle might be worth looking at.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

The gallon of petrol was just resting in my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's a shame really.
    It was a lovely hotel.
    The food was good and a beautiful location on the Shannon.

elperello wrote: »
    It's a shame really.
    It was a lovely hotel.
    The food was good and a beautiful location on the Shannon.

Did they do a carvery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

The insurance angle might be worth looking at.

Or maybe locals don't want 80 odd asylum seekers in there village so are trying to burn the hotel Down to stop it?

Did they do a carvery?

Yes, flame grilled a house specialty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The US could drop a few MOABs on Roscommon and it'd be no loss to the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Pretty shítty carry-on from those responsible. Can’t see past the end of their own nose.

I visited Roscommon once

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Or maybe locals don't want 80 odd asylum seekers in there village so are trying to burn the hotel Down to stop it?
    Whatever their views, which they are entitled to, setting fire to a building is utterly scummy. The explanation is not an excuse. The emergency services, which probably have to bring reinforcements on board from a larger town, are tied up by it - hopefully there isn't another such serious incident occurring at the same time. There are residences and businesses nearby, smoke damage, scorched ground, high financial costs. Defending your town by setting fire to a building is a hell of a twisting of logic.

What reason do they have for not wanting asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I visited Roscommon once

Isn't Rooskey in Leitrim.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Isn't Rooskey in Leitrim.

The hotel is in Leitrim but the bigger part of the town/village is in Roscommon.
    The Shannon is the boundary.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Would it not make more sense for asylum seekers to be housed in Dublin or Cork or Galway, where there are more resources, rather than a tiny economic blackspot in the middle of nowhere?

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

Crime. Look at Sweden and Germany. Majority of rapists in Sweden are migrants. That's why no one wants these asylum ***** in their town.

Crime. Look at Sweden and Germany. Majority of rapists in Sweden are migrants. That's why no one wants these asylum ***** in their town.

We can’t be saying that on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Bog standard racism is my guess.

Asylum seekers often aren't the same as migrants though - I don't know that there would be a high level of crime from them but I can certainly understand the concerns over cultural barriers and the lack of facilities, lack of English classes, lack of jobs, and just the fact that these are small communities that are stretched enough as it is.

Berserker wrote: »
    Bog standard racism is my guess.
    More nuanced than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Would it not make more sense for asylum seekers to be housed in Dublin or Cork or Galway, where there are more resources, rather than a tiny economic blackspot in the middle of nowhere?

Indeed, connacht folk hate everyone from as far away as the next parish, never mind Syria

Asylum seekers often aren't the same as migrants though - I don't know that there would be a high level of crime from them but I can certainly understand the concerns over cultural barriers and the lack of facilities, lack of English classes, lack of jobs, and just the fact that these are small communities that are stretched enough as it is.

In Freiburg in Germany a bunch of Syrians gang raped an 18 year old girl outside a nightclub. Dragged her into the bushes and raped her. And then the quisling scumfuk German politicians announce a few days later they still won't deport Syrians, no matter what crimes they commit.

Being an asylum seeker does not automatically make you a good person.

Being an asylum seeker does not automatically make you a good person.
    Indeed not, but some folk with young kids are fleeing genuine horror. Women and children who face the same fate as that poor German girl, and terrorised men too - I would like it if this country could help some of them out. But I am not dismissing your concern either. It's a quandary.

Indeed not, but some folk with young kids are fleeing genuine horror. Women and children who face the same fate as that poor German girl, and terrorised men too - I would like it if this country could help some of them out. But I am not dismissing your concern either. It's a quandary.

I get you but look, RTE news had a piece recently on some camp in Greece. We were told the women in camp dare not use the bathrooms at night, they wear nappies. So there's some serious scum in that camp. How do you keep that out?

It's one thing to welcome in women and children and families, but more likely we're getting young men from God knows where.

I think the elephant in the room we're not supposed to speak about for fear of being labelled racist is that men from those countries where asylum seekers/migrants come from just have very poor attitudes regarding western women. To all women probably but they can dominate their own women, The sight of the freedoms women in this part of the world have, I think, can be an affront to these men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Ahhh the internet; where we dare not speak about migrants but have already convicted "the locals" of arson.

I think the elephant in the room we're not supposed to speak about for fear of being labelled racist is that men from those countries where asylum seekers/migrants come from just have very poor attitudes regarding western women. To all women probably but they can dominate their own women, The sight of the freedoms women in this part of the world have, I think, can be an affront to these men.

If anyone ever calls you a racist for raising that concern, just ask them how many German women were attacked on NYE.

At least 1200 according to the German police.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

If anyone ever calls you a racist for raising that concern, just ask them how many German women were attacked on NYE.

At least 1200 according to the German police.

I also seen they have "safe zones" now at large events in Germany to protect women from sex attacks.

I always remember a documentary I saw about a girl in India who was gang raped and destroyed by about six guys. I think it was quite a big global news story. Anyway the news crew were interviewing the men that did the crime for the programme and their absolute and total attitude to her was that because she was out on her own, she clearly wasn't a good, reputable girl and so why wouldn't they rape her kind of thing. I would fear that attitude would be common among the men getting asylum here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You mean the elephant in the room that people are always talking about here? Or to be more accurate spend most of their time talking about how they can't talk about it here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement