Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Incident at Roscommon hotel (asylum seekers)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I always remember a documentary I saw about a girl in India who was gang raped and destroyed by about six guys. I think it was quite a big global news story. Anyway the news crew were interviewing the men that did the crime for the programme and their absolute and total attitude to her was that because she was out on her own, she clearly wasn't a good, reputable girl and so why wouldn't they rape her kind of thing.
    That case was just... :( :mad:

Not that it didn't deserve every bit of the condemnation it got, but it only made headlines in India and spread elsewhere because she was wealthy. People of lower castes haven't a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Arghus wrote: »
    You mean the elephant in the room that people are always talking about here? Or to be more accurate spend most of their time talking about how they can't talk about it here?
    I think Mrsmum means the traditional media though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

bubblypop wrote: »
    What reason do they have for not wanting asylum seekers?

Many AS in Ireland are bogus.

They are illegal immigrants, many of them are illegal Asian male immigrants.

Look up Operation Vantage.

The IT today reported that at last

"A clampdown on illegal immigration, especially organised scams such as sham marriages, has resulted in a very significant increase in the number of residency permits being refused or revoked.

The number of deportation orders being signed has also increased.

The Department of Justice said an “organised and concerted attempt to abuse the system” had been targeted."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/residency-permit-refusals-rise-after-sham-marriage-clampdown-1.3788972

Hundreds, if not thousands, of illegal immigrants from Asia have entered Ireland.

Nobody wants these criminals in their towns.

bubblypop wrote: »
    What reason do they have for not wanting asylum seekers?

Genuine refugees are welcome.

Note that up to half of AS are fleeing where...............the UK!!!

They are not genuine refugees, they are economic migrants.

They are a drain on our taxes, and are not welcome.

Direct Provision should be ended, and these bogus AS should be deported asap.

Being an asylum seeker does not automatically make you a good person.

As most AS in Ireland are illegal immigrants, they are by definition criminals.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

We need more social housing. Leo needs to wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The asylum process might be a mess but this arson is attempted mass murder. Throw the book at them.

The asylum process might be a mess but this arson is attempted mass murder. Throw the book at them.

Can it be attempted murder, as the building is empty of people?

Arson yes, but attempted murder?

Surely homocide requires the presence of a victim?

Mass murder of concrete blocks and 4x2?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

We need more social housing. Leo needs to wake up.
    Leave off poor old photo shoot Leo. He though he was 40 ....but now has just discovered hes really 53.

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Can it be attempted murder, as the building is empty of people?

Arson yes, but attempted murder?

Surely homocide requires the presence of a victim?

Watching Back to back csi does crazy things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Watching Back to back csi does crazy things.

Nope. The original post says it was home to asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Nope. The original post says it was home to asylum seekers.

It has been earmarked for direct provision but is currently empty.

Arson is disgraceful behaviour. I can however feel the frustration of locals. It's absolute madness to locate something like that in this location. Such a small town. What will these people do in a place like this? It's a disaster waiting to happen. These direct provision centres need to be located in larger population centres to give them a better chance to integrate into the community and better understand our culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Why don't they just ask the people of Roosky if they actually want a Direct Provision centre in their town in a private ballot? Are they afraid that they may not get the answer they want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

IngazZagni wrote: »
    It has been earmarked for direct provision but is currently empty.

Arson is disgraceful behaviour. I can however feel the frustration of locals. It's absolute madness to locate something like that in this location. Such a small town. What will these people do in a place like this? It's a disaster waiting to happen. These direct provision centres need to be located in larger population centres to give them a better chance to integrate into the community and better understand our culture.

But there are already asylum seekers being housed in small towns in Ireland. Has it been a disaster in these places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

But there are already asylum seekers being housed in small towns in Ireland. Has it been a disaster in these places?

Can you share a link or source of which towns with a similar population and how many moved in to the same building?

Can you share a link or source of which towns with a similar population and how many moved in to the same building?

Ah, sure.

Information contained within the articles.

Ballyhaunis (pop. ~2,300) https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/discover/meet-the-most-cosmopolitan-small-town-in-ireland-ballyhaunis-co-mayo-799532.html

Ballaghadereen (pop. ~1,800) - there’s been issues here re: resources. But I’ve no idea if there’s been any increase in crime. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/one-year-on-ballaghaderreen-and-refugees-let-down-by-state-1.3461087%3fmode=amp

I’m just surprised that some people responding to this thread - displaying an interest in the topic - didn’t know that there are already small towns in Ireland housing not insubstantial numbers of asylum-seekers. The news sources are hardly obscure. The two above towns are bigger than Rooskey but are still very small towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Ah, sure.

Information contained within the articles.

Ballyhaunis (pop. ~2,300) https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/discover/meet-the-most-cosmopolitan-small-town-in-ireland-ballyhaunis-co-mayo-799532.html

Ballaghadereen (pop. ~1,800) - there’s been issues here re: resources. But I’ve no idea if there’s been any increase in crime. https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/one-year-on-ballaghaderreen-and-refugees-let-down-by-state-1.3461087%3fmode=amp

I’m just surprised that some people responding to this thread - displaying an interest in the topic - didn’t know that there are already small towns in Ireland housing not insubstantial numbers of asylum-seekers. The news sources are hardly obscure. The two above towns are bigger than Rooskey but are still very small towns.

Both of those towns are quite larger than Roosky and have far more services and facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,953 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sad to see these hotels getting attacked, and I say that as someone who lives within 15min of the one in Donegal.

I watched the final part of the 3 part series on the EU last night, and to see the plight of these asylum seekers is heart breaking. How desperate are these people to walk hundreds of miles, sleep in camps, risk their lives on overcrowded boats just to try to get a better life for them and their families.

Ireland have taken such a small number, it really shouldn't be an issue.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sad to see these hotels getting attacked, and I say that as someone who lives within 15min of the one in Donegal.

I watched the final part of the 3 part series on the EU last night, and to see the plight of these asylum seekers is heart breaking. How desperate are these people to walk hundreds of miles, sleep in camps, risk their lives on overcrowded boats just to try to get a better life for them and their families.

There is a difference between asylum seekers and refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,953 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Majority are refugees who then apply for asylum?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Both of those towns are quite larger than Roosky and have far more services and facilities.

“Quite larger”? C’mon, they are really small towns. None of them are bursting with facilities.

The big fear amongst people here seems to be mostly related to the worry that crime will increase. I think they are close enough in size to Roosky to try and get some idea of whether that will happen. And Ballyhaunis especially would be interesting to consider as the sizeable Muslim population has been there for 40 years or more at this stage. It’s got a large number of asylum-seekers AND a separate significant Muslim community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

It is heart breaking to see these refugees, genuine people fleeing war. And we should have excellent systems in place for offering refuge.

There are problems though.

For example, the word refugee has been abused, if not completely gutted of meaning, by those in political power over the past years in the EU, in essence to achieve movement of large numbers of economic migrants to fill the gaps in their economies due to their own population issues.

Another problem is the undeniable increase in crime, especially sexual violence. Countries like Sweden and Finland for example, where despite all attempts to mask the figures there have been verifiably serious problems.

I know we have our own rapists, but there is a tendency towards gang rape and particular brutality in the stories of migrant rape. It is very very hard as a woman not to burn inside with unreasonable fury reading these stories, and the regular attempts to cover them up. Some of the stories are beyond belief, including rape of small children, rape with broken bottles, gang rapes as I have said.
    This doesn't help one be reasonable when it comes to the subject matter of migrants.

One of the other complicating factors is the theory of multiculturalism that was embraced by cultural relativists, whereby migrating peoples have not been expected to integrate fully into communities and adopt the local cultural ethos.

Pictures or descriptions of whole areas of western cities filled with people dressed as if they are living in a desert place, displaying medieval levels of misogyny - women not allowed in cafés, for example, or children wearing hijab, morality police on the streets, sharia courts in operation on the quiet, religious schools that do not educate children beyond scripture, hate preaching tolerated in mosques - are frankly very unsettling, no matter how reasonable one tries to be.

There are undeniably large problems and people should stop trying to shut down debate about migration.

Being quite familiar with all three towns and from working in Ballaghaderreen and Roosky on an almost daily basis I know for fact that there is vast differences in services.

Example 1 x mini market, 1 x church, 1 x post office, 1 x primary school as opposed to towns with supermarkets, council offices, libraries, secondary schools, health care centres, parks, halal shops, mosques, chemists, full time garda stations, fire stations, barbers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I’m just surprised that some people responding to this thread - displaying an interest in the topic - didn’t know that there are already small towns in Ireland housing not insubstantial numbers of asylum-seekers.
    In After Hours, most people's "interest" in this topic is in taking a dump on asylum seekers and nothing more. Facts mean nothing to these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Majority are refugees who then apply for asylum?

Majority are migrants passing through many safe countries to get to Ireland where we hand out benefits like we are the richest country in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

seamus wrote: »
    In After Hours, most people's "interest" in this topic is in taking a dump on asylum seekers and nothing more. Facts mean nothing to these people.

People have concerns seeing the ghettos of the UK and the state of sweden/germany /france as to whether its appropriate to have masses of other cultures move in.
    Its ignorant in the extreme to sneer at those concerns and to deny there are issues.

Remember you thought monaghan was in northern ireland.....yet you lecture people on facts...ffs.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Being quite familiar with all three towns and from working in Ballaghaderreen and Roosky on an almost daily basis I know for fact that there is vast differences in services.

Example 1 x mini market, 1 x church, 1 x post office, 1 x primary school as opposed to towns with supermarkets, council offices, libraries, secondary schools, health care centres, parks, halal shops, mosques, chemists, full time garda stations, fire stations, barbers etc.

Do you honestly think there is nothing to gleaned from the presence of a large percentage of asylum seekers in these not-much-bigger towns? And, like I said, Ballyhaunis has not only a lot of asylum-seekers, but a separate long-standing Muslim community. The reason Ballyhaunis has a mosque and halal shops is because of the Muslim population that some people so fear.

I’m being quite genuine here when I ask if anyone knows whether crime has increased in towns such as these. Is civil order breakdown much more likely in Roosky because there aren’t council offices or a library or a barbershop in town? I’m being a tad facetious there but seriously, asylum-seekers still represent a large percentage of the population of these towns. If one can only compare using a town of exactly the same amenity-level and population, that’s going to be pretty hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think part of the problem is that they are dumped into small communities without any consultation with the people who actually live there which in turn leads to frustration and anger and causes some people to lash out.

David Stanton even said in an interview that locals have no right to voice concerns and should just accept it.

I doubt there were any asylum seekers housed in his posh neighbourhood though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I think that genuinely people have had enough of migrants or refugees regardless of their situation,
    however unfortunate it might have been.
    These people are being forced into communities with little or no consideration
    for the people already living within those communities.

What is then the overall plan for these people? I can't imagine Rooskey as
    a hub of employment. Where then are these people going to live as I can
    only assume they can't stay indefinitely in what was provided.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement