Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turn down two houses and you're off the list

Comments

Living with parents, seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I would have always classed someone who says they are homeless as a person that sleeps on the streets but that isn’t the case when it comes to stats.

What’s the criteria to be classed as homeless? Either a rough sleeper or in a B&B? Have I missed anything?

The crazy thing is this country is that the priority is for people living in a B&B,Hub or Hotel . We see that as the crisis. Walk the streets of Dublin Cork. People are dying on them. They dont need a 3 bed semi beside their Mother.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I genuinely dont think its possible. I feel like we are wasting our time trying to tackle it. No country can get it under control.

So why not just make sure we have nobody dying on our streets.

I know its a bit extreme

Of course the government can. Multitasking and running multiple projects is easy.
    Getting the people to be able to do it is the challenge from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,466 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The crazy thing is this country is that the priority is for people living in a B&B,Hub or Hotel . We see that as the crisis. Walk the streets of Dublin Cork. People are dying on them. They dont need a 3 bed semi beside their Mother.

How is that crazy?

Children should always be a priority, in any society you look after the weakest first.

As for rough sleepers, it's a far more complex situation then just house them and they'll be grand.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Of course the government can. Multitasking and running multiple projects is easy.
    Getting the people to be able to do it is the challenge from what I can see.

Its a huge struggle to get private houses built. Nevermind social houses. Getting approval for them is near impossible. Getting builders to work for the council the same. The cost involved also makes it impossible other than a few token gesture apartments that are being built.

And if the figures are to be believed there is over 10k on the housing list. Thousands others renting through HAP. Thousands of others privately renting who will not be able to get a deposit to buy there own homes.

The list is growing by hundreds every month . Immigration is high at the moment and under EU pressure these families also have to be a priority to be housed.

Its completely unsustainable

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    How is that crazy?

Children should always be a priority, in any society you look after the weakest first.

As for rough sleepers, it's a far more complex situation then just house them and they'll be grand.

I never said house them . I said stop them dying on the streets. People always ask why people have kids when they cant support them or house them . Its simple. Its their safety net. That cycle needs to be broken somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Why not do both at the same time with some foresight and future planning also?

Both are happening as we speak.

I never said house them .

What did you mean by this so?
    They dont need a 3 bed semi beside their Mother.

Or are you suggesting you treat someone with complex issues, get them stable and then return them to the street. Because that is crazy.
    I said stop them dying on the streets. People always ask why people have kids when they cant support them or house them . Its simple. Its their safety net. That cycle needs to be broken somehow

Yeah, if people just stop abusing substances and having children we'd all be grand.

:rolleyes:

What did you mean by this so?

Or are you suggesting you treat someone with complex issues, get them stable and then return them to the street. Because that is crazy.

Yeah, if people just stop abusing substances and having children we'd all be grand.

:rolleyes:

We have it all wrong. We thought the way to go was education - job -mortgage - house - possibly kids

The easier road is kids - house - possibly a job.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Both are happening as we speak.

I know, it just baffles me that some people think that it has to be one or the other and they have to pick the lesser of 2.
    I just long for the day when people use some critical thought and not absorb and regurgitate headlines they read.

• Advertisement

If only it wasnt so hard to not have children while you dont have a job or house .

So if a family become homeless or unemployed you have to give up the children, Da Fuq? :confused:

So if a family become homeless or unemployed you have to give up the children, Da Fuq? :confused:

Yes because thats what i said :confused:

I know, it just baffles me that some people think that it has to be one or the other and they have to pick the lesser of 2.
    I just long for the day when people use some critical thought and not absorb and regurgitate headlines they read.

Its happening alright . But it will never be enough to have any significant affect on the crisis .

Yes because thats what i said :confused:

That's exactly what you said, before you deleted it.

You do realize for a significant portion of us, we are just one or two unfortunate events from being in absolute dire straights ourselves.

Be careful with the scorn, IMO. You never know what the future could bring.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wonder will Margaret Elizabeth Cash fall foul of this?

That's exactly what you said, before you deleted it.

You do realize for a significant portion of us, we are just one or two unfortunate events from being in absolute dire straights ourselves.

Be careful with the scorn, IMO. You never know what the future could bring.

I said how hard is it to not have children while having no fixed abode or job. I find it one of the most selfish things you can do. Sometimes the truth hurts. However we both know why people proceed to have them

You'll longing for a while, I'd say.
    I wonder will Margaret Elizabeth Cash fall foul of this?

I said how hard is it to not have children while having no fixed abode or job.

You 'meant' you mean, that's different to what you said.

I imagine it's the exact same process, but in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The homeless campaigners are insisting that people refusing more than one house does not happen other than in a handful of cases. If this is the case, why get so upset about it. Bring it in.

mickdw wrote: »
    The homeless campaigners are insisting that people refusing more than one house does not happen other than in a handful of cases. If this is the case, why get so upset about it. Bring it in.

Hilarious isnt it. They also dont want their council house to be in a council estate. Couldnt make this stuff up.

• Advertisement

Latest figures show there is 27,500 on the waiting list for a social house in Dublin. This figure is growing by the day

But we still think housing people is a realistic aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The houses should be put on offer. Willing tenants then 'bid' for the house, highest up the list gets it. This way a house is never refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Scotty # wrote: »
    The houses should be put on offer. Willing tenants then 'bid' for the house, highest up the list gets it. This way a house is never refused.

Not sure.

Would you not just have people "bidding" on the house they want with the trampoline or lack of a sea view and failing and just still waiting as they go up the list. They'd still be a reason to stay on the list. Instead of refusals you'd have failed bids.

If they had a limited number of houses offered to a limited number of people, so 20 houses offered to 20 people and those people just put down their preference. Like inverse of single transferable vote. if multiple people put #1 for a house just randomly select by pps number or something, and if someone puts a house down as #3 but someone else does #2 then the higher preference get's it.

Everyone gets offered a house and refusals could be treated the same with the 2 refusals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Latest figures show there is 27,500 on the waiting list for a social house in Dublin. This figure is growing by the day

But we still think housing people is a realistic aim.

Over 70,000 on the list if you take the whole country into account. That was in December though so may be higher now.

As Phil Collins once said;

"There's too many people
    Making too many problems
    And not much love to go round
    Can't you see, This is a land of confusion."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Its a huge struggle to get private houses built. Nevermind social houses. Getting approval for them is near impossible. Getting builders to work for the council the same. The cost involved also makes it impossible other than a few token gesture apartments that are being built.

And if the figures are to be believed there is over 10k on the housing list. Thousands others renting through HAP. Thousands of others privately renting who will not be able to get a deposit to buy there own homes.

The list is growing by hundreds every month . Immigration is high at the moment and under EU pressure these families also have to be a priority to be housed.

Its completely unsustainable

Housing a family in a hotel could cost 4500 euros a month.

That's 54 k a year - a 200 k house would be paid for in 4 years just by not having to pay 4500 a month to a hotel.

Over 70,000 on the list if you take the whole country into account. That was in December though so may be higher now.

As Phil Collins once said;

"There's too many people
    Making too many problems
    And not much love to go round
    Can't you see, This is a land of confusion."

He was singing about the Cold War not failed housing policy.

He was singing about the Cold War not failed housing policy.

He was indeed. What was your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If I were looking for a house, and on the list, I'd happily accept one

He was indeed. What was your point?

The thread is about housing policy, not the Cold War.

• Advertisement

The thread is about housing policy, not the Cold War.

So we can only quote from songs about housing policy on this thread then? Right so.

Advertisement