Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Turn down two houses and you're off the list

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,509 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

NIMAN wrote: »
    But I'm sure its near impossible to get these tenants to move out.

Even harder if there is no where to move them out to.

Even harder again I imagine if they have been model tenants who have paid their rent on time and established roots in the community.

Also in Cork it may take up to 66 weeks to turn that house around, so move them into a hotel and let the house sit idle for over a year would be mental at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Offer two houses in the middle of nowhere. No public transport. Miles from kids schools and friends and families. List reduced but demand not being met. Another example of government massaging figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Boggles wrote: »
    Even harder if there is no where to move them out to.

Even harder again I imagine if they have been model tenants who have paid their rent on time and established roots in the community.

Also in Cork it may take up to 66 weeks to turn that house around, so move them into a hotel and let the house sit idle for over a year would be mental at every turn.

But it shouldn't be open for them to refuse.

It should be written into the initial contract that once the house is too big for them, they have to leave.

What can be done about community roots? This will happen if someone lives a long time in a certain area. It happens with the old couples now sitting in 5 bed family homes in Dublin too cos their kids left years ago.

Its a difficult debate to have. The difference in the latter case is that they paid for their house and own it. In the former, its the states property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It should be written into the initial contract that once the house is too big for them, they have to leave.

What can be done about community roots? This will happen if someone lives a long time in a certain area. It happens with the old couples now sitting in 5 bed family homes in Dublin too cos their kids left years ago.

Its a difficult debate to have. The difference in the latter case is that they paid for their house and own it. In the former, its the states property.

It's the whole reason councils started to sell houses to tenants. The bit that I don't agree with is that it is sold to the tenant at a big discount.

It isn't AFAIK. Well it isn't now.

It might of been 30 years ago when they signed their "lease". I don't know.

There is absolutely nothing preventing a local authority from not renewing a tenancy after a rolling period.

There is plenty valid reasons why they wouldn't do it though.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    The bit that I don't agree with is that it is sold to the tenant at a big discount.

Why not?

Someone buying a Local Authority house is an absolute fantastic idea, a scheme that should be rolled out and encouraged more.

Why not?

Someone buying a Local Authority house is an absolute fantastic idea, a scheme that should be rolled out and encouraged more.

Why should they get a discount to buy a house? If they like the area and want to own a home they should pay full market price, otherwise keep renting from the council.

Not only does it remove a house from the councils housing stock(which a lot of people have issue with to begin with) but it does do so at a loss to the market value.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Eod100 wrote: »
    Offer two houses in the middle of nowhere. No public transport. Miles from kids schools and friends and families. List reduced but demand not being met. Another example of government massaging figures.

Is their not a grant for a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Extreme examples were people turning down houses because the house they were being offered had a sea view, and this might cause them to be sea sick :) Another one refused a house because the back garden wasn't big enough for a trampolene :) You couldn't make this sh1t up.
    The people who make these kind of ridiculous refusals need to get real & should certainly be kicked down the list.

That was actually a joke that someone made when viewing a house in Cobh (which was actually totally unsuitable for their needs) but somehow ended up on the list of reasons that they turned down that particular house.
    you can't let incredibly rare examples like this dictate policy.

Except they're not incredibly rare examples. One look at some places and no way that you're taking a house there.
    Cina wrote: »
    I think it's quite obvious why I made it, to highlight the shocking situation whereby these people are actually allowed to turn down houses when so many hard working people cannot even buy one of their own.

You do realise that in most cases these are one and the same people ? Not all people looking for Social Housing are scroungers, in fact the vast majority are not and are hard working decent people who just can't afford or get a mortgage for whatever reason.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you were homeless and offered this house, would you take it?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3814776,-6.2938524,3a,75y,261.34h,85.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBJrRMkNryzK4uBCpuQH4Fw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

A few considerations besides the condition of the house.
    1. There was a shooting here recently
    2. Remember the video last year of cars joyriding in an estate and crashing into everything...that was here.
    3. The locals don't accept new people into the neighbourhood and force them out

4. There is open drug dealing on the street
    5. There is open drug use on the street
    6. There are scramblers and quad on the go here night and day
    7. There is a litter problem - that normally comes with rodent problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Why not?

Because now there's nowhere near enough social housing left because they were all sold?

Why should they get a discount to buy a house? If they like the area and want to own a home they should pay full market price, otherwise keep renting from the council.

What if they can't or will never be able to afford a house?

It's successive governments that have fooked the housing market with their constant meddling.

Why should everyone suffer because of political ineptness.
    Not only does it remove a house from the councils housing stock(which a lot of people have issue with to begin with) but it does do so at a loss to the market value.

The value of something is far different from the cost of something.

In the long run the benefits to society are far greater if someone buys their home even discounted.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Because now there's nowhere near enough social housing left because they were all sold?

Well that's not true.

One of the reasons was during the boom all developments had to be either 10 or 20% social housing stock.

This was more or less completely ignored because developers paid a relatively small fine to get around it.

We have always had social housing and we have always had people who availed of buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Boom_Bap wrote: »

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3814776,-6.2938524,3a,75y,261.34h,85.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBJrRMkNryzK4uBCpuQH4Fw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

2. Remember the video last year of cars joyriding in an estate and crashing into everything...that was here.

Ha . So who are these houses left for ? People that are actually working and want to buy their own home. Very fair . Another example of how mad this country is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is their not a grant for a car?

Never heard of one. Is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

It’s about time this was implemented. There are too many people taking advantage of the system.

Just because a house lacks a large garden or isn’t next door to Mammy doesn’t mean it’s not suitable.

The rest of us don’t get that kind of choice so why should these people.

Yes you just dont pay for insurance,tax or a valid nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

I'd have no problem with this as long as the property being turned down is appropriate to the families needs. There should be a clear well thought out criteria published as to what is appropriate and if someone turns down two offers then tough but offering something completely wrong for the needs of a family shouldn't count for anything.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

They have to do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

You do realise that in most cases these are one and the same people ? Not all people looking for Social Housing are scroungers, in fact the vast majority are not and are hard working decent people who just can't afford or get a mortgage for whatever reason.

Disagree strongly

The majority are lazy scroungers. People who work but can’t afford a mortgage are ignored, they have to rent privately and struggle

They are ignored and put to the back of the list as all the lazy parasites who are in hotels are going to get priority

Not forgetting the single mothers with their boyfriend hiding in the cupboard too that has a job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

It’s about time this was implemented. There are too many people taking advantage of the system.

Just because a house lacks a large garden or isn’t next door to Mammy doesn’t mean it’s not suitable.

The rest of us don’t get that kind of choice so why should these people.

The amount of bigotry on here is just incredible. You're not the first people to refer to these people.

If you think that the only reason that people are turning down houses is because they don't have a large garden or are not next door to Mammy then you're either deluded or buying into the spin that authorities have put out. Those reasons might exist but I'd bet that they're in the region of one in a thousand refusals.

The whole thing of 'affordable housing' makes me laugh. Firstly, it was an easy option for Government / Councils to theoretically be seen to do something and secondly housing should be affordable, or pretty close to affordable, for everyone that works for a living. It's not, and that's the problem. This whole homelessness crisis started when councils stopped building their own stocks and more or less left it to private enterprise to dictate housing prices. Those prices are not so far out of reach for some people that they have no choice but to go on a local authority housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The amount of bigotry on here is just incredible. You're not the first people to refer to these people.

If you think that the only reason that people are turning down houses is because they don't have a large garden or are not next door to Mammy then you're either deluded or buying into the spin that authorities have put out. Those reasons might exist but I'd bet that they're in the region of one in a thousand refusals.

The whole thing of 'affordable housing' makes me laugh. Firstly, it was an easy option for Government / Councils to theoretically be seen to do something and secondly housing should be affordable, or pretty close to affordable, for everyone that works for a living. It's not, and that's the problem. This whole homelessness crisis started when councils stopped building their own stocks and more or less left it to private enterprise to dictate housing prices. Those prices are not so far out of reach for some people that they have no choice but to go on a local authority housing list.

I’m not a bigot and I’ll thank you not to refer to me as such.

With all due respect I’m not the deluded one here. The amount of people’s on the housing lists who have refused multiple properties is beyond a joke. The properties can’t all have been that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I’m not a bigot and I’ll thank you not to refer to me as such.

With all due respect I’m not the deluded one here. The amount of people’s on the housing lists who have refused multiple properties is beyond a joke. The properties can’t all have been that bad.

What amount of people? How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Disagree strongly

The majority are lazy scroungers. People who work but can’t afford a mortgage are ignored, they have to rent privately and struggle

They are ignored and put to the back of the list as all the lazy parasites who are in hotels are going to get priority

Not forgetting the single mothers with their boyfriend hiding in the cupboard too that has a job

You do realise that there are loads of people who work who are on the housing list?

Boom_Bap wrote: »

This might be a good place to start. Have places like this knocked and rebuild with 1, 2, 3 & 4 bed units. Relocate the existing tenants far and wide so their anti social behaviour in groups is diminished. Ensure that anti social behaviour is acted upon and said tenants are the ones who end up in the B&Bs. If the council are seen to mean business I would hope a lot of the trouble would ease up.

With regards to only having a social house to sit the size of the tenants - it couldn’t be an instant thing. Use the census and whatever other measures are at the authorities disposal. Work out the demographics and build smaller units to meet that. Keep it within the area too, don’t see why people would have to move location as smaller 1 and 2 beds could be built on top of each other.
    Ensure that all rent is collected via revenue or social welfare if in arrears of more than a month.
    Streamline those unbelievable turnaround times for having a house ready. If a tenant has been in a house 20 years, modernising that house should really only take 3-4 weeks if the plans of action are already in place.

As long as a tenant knows that they are guaranteed a social house once their family size reduces, why would they have a problem?

Social housing is a thing of the past. There is no hope of it improving its just going to get worse and worse . Totally unsustainable and if anyone thinks it will pick up again like the last century there are delusional. Housing/population is a global crisis that cant be fixed.

Emergency accommodation is the best we can ask for going forward.

This might be a good place to start. Have places like this knocked and rebuild with 1, 2, 3 & 4 bed units. Relocate the existing tenants far and wide so their anti social behaviour in groups is diminished. Ensure that anti social behaviour is acted upon and said tenants are the ones who end up in the B&Bs. If the council are seen to mean business I would hope a lot of the trouble would ease up.

With regards to only having a social house to sit the size of the tenants - it couldn’t be an instant thing. Use the census and whatever other measures are at the authorities disposal. Work out the demographics and build smaller units to meet that. Keep it within the area too, don’t see why people would have to move location as smaller 1 and 2 beds could be built on top of each other.
    Ensure that all rent is collected via revenue or social welfare if in arrears of more than a month.
    Streamline those unbelievable turnaround times for having a house ready. If a tenant has been in a house 20 years, modernising that house should really only take 3-4 weeks if the plans of action are already in place.

As long as a tenant knows that they are guaranteed a social house once their family size reduces, why would they have a problem?

Utterly delusional. We will just use monopoly money to do all this. It would bankrupt the country to the point of no return.

So your solution is to fire everyone into emergency accommodation which I believe is 100% paid for by the authorities???

Ensure that rent is collected and they’ll be an ongoing cash flow. I believe there are many 3 beds in circulation already that have only one person in them paying the lowest rate of rent. Having a family unit with an increased rent value puts more in the pot again.

It’s not an overnight solution but it’s better than none.

So your solution is to fire everyone into emergency accommodation which I believe is 100% paid for by the authorities???

Ensure that rent is collected and they’ll be an ongoing cash flow. I believe there are many 3 beds in circulation already that have only one person in them paying the lowest rate of rent. Having a family unit with an increased rent value puts more in the pot again.

It’s not an overnight solution but it’s better than none.

They would have to pay rent . Pay a contribution for electricity etc .

People need to realize this is just the tip of the iceberg. In 5/10 years time it will be so much worse. The entitlement culture of people wanting a house because its their right has to go and will go as its no longer possible

A roof over their head should be the main priority from now on.

This isn't just Ireland. Its a global crisis.

• Advertisement

What if they can't or will never be able to afford a house?

It's successive governments that have fooked the housing market with their constant meddling.

Why should everyone suffer because of political ineptness.

Well if they can't afford the house they need to look elsewhere, like anyone who isn't a council tenant. Subsidising the private purchase of a home is what I would call beyond the "spirit" of social housing.

Not sure what your last paragraphs have to do with anything. People do suffer when this happens. The council then has to buy another property and will outbid people. People who want to buy a home in the same area are shafted because they will have to pay full price simply because they aren't a tenant.
    The value of something is far different from the cost of something.

In the long run the benefits to society are far greater if someone buys their home even discounted.

A rising tide lifts all boats.

:rolleyes:
    Life isn't so simple. Social housing was seen as something to help people out a roof over their head who had no alternatives. If you can afford to purchase a home or your making far more money than any of the rent caps take into account, you're taking advantage of a poor system.

You have enough money to buy a house, pay full price. You make enough money to pay market rent rates, pay full price. Simple.

Advertisement