Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poverty spec?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

swarlb wrote: »
    I love the self depreciating nature of some of these posts, we Irish certainly have a very low opinion of ourselves at times.

the self depreciation is humble-bragging, we all feckin love ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

hi5 wrote: »
    A poverty spec car is the base model of a range that doesn't have any of the option boxes ticked.
    What's provided as standard with the base model can vary from manufacture to manufacture.
    Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Remember back in the day you could have unpainted black bumpers, steel wheels with no hubcaps, unpainted mirrors and door handles etc etc thats poverty spec :D or a Dacia!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Look at the cheapest rental cars. I was surprised to see keep-fit windows in the rear of a '18 Fiesta.

I doubt you could get something without central locking or no passenger side mirror these days.

Base model new Fabia comes with keep fit windows in the front!

MmRhYjg5ZTVhZWYzNWQ1ZTQ4NDFlODdhMWU5MDdiNjEqmgbiviDx56wBYHReose3aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTMyNzU1OTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

M2JjMjNlYzhkYTk4YjZkNDRkNmQ4YjJkNGFhZjgzYTaqoLKdJtJGFOFuiKSZIi7IaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTMyNzU2MTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

I think some of the issue lately too is that manufacturers tend to bundle option packs together.

For example, I just looked at the new E-Class price list. I'm on my phone and can't find a full model configurator, but from the PDF...

In order to get memory seats, you need to spec the full Premium Package for €6,259.

This of course makes full sense from the OEM's point of view, simplifies manufacturing as they'll just put in one of three wiring looms, into the car as opposed to mixing and matching what would end up being millions of combinations.

Just that it then makes it difficult for most to justify 6k for Memory Seats if they don't care about all the additional stuff you get with the Premium Pack (Online connection, Adaptive Lights, 360 camera, etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭elperello

"Poverty spec" as a description is just a nonsense in new cars because anyone buying any model of new car could not be considered poor.

"Paddy spec" this can raise hackles among people who have experienced racism against Irish people abroad. It's OK to be ironic about being called "Paddy" if you have never had your nationality used against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

elperello wrote: »
    "Poverty spec" as a description is just a nonsense in new cars because anyone buying any model of new car could not be considered poor.

"Paddy spec" this can raise hackles among people who have experienced racism against Irish people abroad. It's OK to be ironic about being called "Paddy" if you have never had your nationality used against you.

Finally, the response I was looking for !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think some of the issue lately too is that manufacturers tend to bundle option packs together.

For example, I just looked at the new E-Class price list. I'm on my phone and can't find a full model configurator, but from the PDF...

In order to get memory seats, you need to spec the full Premium Package for €6,259.

This of course makes full sense from the OEM's point of view, simplifies manufacturing as they'll just put in one of three wiring looms, into the car as opposed to mixing and matching what would end up being millions of combinations.

Just that it then makes it difficult for most to justify 6k for Memory Seats if they don't care about all the additional stuff you get with the Premium Pack (Online connection, Adaptive Lights, 360 camera, etc.)

I think they've started doing this in the last year or two especially, to simplify the options list. One of the reasons VAG got themselves in the sh1t over WLTP was the sheer number of options and configurations in their model line up. Every configuration had to be tested/graded.
    So I'd say we'll see even more of this from now on... you want a reversing camera? Well then you have to spec the 2K "tech pack".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Remember a few years ago I was interested in buying a new ford. They had advertised the base model of about 22K. Went into the dealer and the cheapest one they could give me was 26K.

I think with the advent of PCP people have gone for more higher spec cars as the monthly extra amount for an extra is small enough.

We have come on a bit since the 70's and 80's. If you want a poverty spec look at a Austin mini 850 from the 70's, or indeed any british leyland car.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

I always thought that poverty spec was just the base model of any given car (regardless of whether its a BMW or a dacia)

I always thought that "paddy spec"was because compared to the UK the spec of cars here were pretty ****. I'm not sure if that's because bigger competition in the UK lead to car manufacturers giving add ons for free or their standard cars just came with a higher spec.
    or because finance, especially pcp has been there for a while and people specced up for relatively cheap,
    Or if it's because the import duties here make it considerably more expensive to spec up.

"Paddy spec" ternminology isn't very nice imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I think they've started doing this in the last year or two especially, to simplify the options list. One of the reasons VAG got themselves in the sh1t over WLTP was the sheer number of options and configurations in their model line up. Every configuration had to be tested/graded.
    So I'd say we'll see even more of this from now on... you want a reversing camera? Well then you have to spec the 2K "tech pack".

Options will just be limited or bundled

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I couldn't believe my eyes when I was behind a duster with working brake lights and it was a 191 with led 3rd brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

That thing screams rental car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Only time I have heard the term paddy spec used is in relation to Toyota's of 10 years ago when the Irish base spec had hubcaps , no extras whatsoever , whereas the lowest UK base model had alloys as standard and a small few bits of kit .

I thought it became a common term because the Toyota factory at the time would do a batch of cars destined for Ireland with no extras and the workers called them paddy spec as they were sold nowhere else as basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

M2JjMjNlYzhkYTk4YjZkNDRkNmQ4YjJkNGFhZjgzYTaqoLKdJtJGFOFuiKSZIi7IaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTMyNzU2MTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

and a povo spec centre console. I've never seen a new skoda without at least the below spec before!

472908.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Only time I have heard the term paddy spec used is in relation to Toyota's of 10 years ago when the Irish base spec had hubcaps , no extras whatsoever , whereas the lowest UK base model had alloys as standard and a small few bits of kit .

I thought it became a common term because the Toyota factory at the time would do a batch of cars destined for Ireland with no extras and the workers called them paddy spec as they were sold nowhere else as basic.

If you had a 10 year old Yaris with kerbed and peeling alloys you might wish for steel wheels. Stick on a cheap set of wheel covers and bobs your uncle.

As for "keep fit" window winders.When with sinking heart you are on your hands and knees trying to remove a door card you will wish the original buyer hadn't specified electric windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭blackbox

The poverty spec was historically driven by the VRT.

Any option you specified, VRT (I think it was around 30%) was added to the cost; so for example, an extra that cost 1000 in the UK, cost 1300 or more here. If it was something that you could purchase and fit aftermarket you didn't have to pay the VRT.

It made the extras harder to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

And while we're on the subject, it's beyond disgraceful that safety equipment such as camera systems, radar, blindspot assist, HUD, etc, are subject to VAT and VRT.

Pushing it, I'd even go as far to say tyres that score A for wet braking should be VAT exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

No alloys.

Jesus, how can they still sell cars with steel wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

No alloys.

Jesus, how can they still sell cars with steel wheels.

Because people want to buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

A poverty spec car, doesent exist lads, just poverty spec owners. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

1.4 petrol toyota corolla.
    No AC
    No climate control.
    No electric windows.
    Grey interior.
    Steel wheels.
    No extras.

The perfect car for the middle aged Irish motorist who doesn't like driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

No AC
    No climate control.
    No electric windows.
    Grey interior.
    Steel wheels.
    No extras.

In many regards this is the PERFECT car, minimalist and cheap to run.

No AC
    No climate control.
    No electric windows.
    Grey interior.
    Steel wheels.
    No extras.

Surely if you like driving it matters very little whether or not a car has electric windows, a grey interior, steel wheels, or other unspecified extras.

swarlb wrote: »
    In many regards this is the PERFECT car, minimalist and cheap to run.

I like my cars to be a place I want to be.
    I do a lot of driving, and enjoy driving.
    It's usually people who don't like driving who buy paddy spec cars.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Surely if you like driving it matters very little whether or not a car has electric windows, a grey interior, steel wheels, or other unspecified extras.

Of course it does, if you like driving, a bland car is the last place you want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you like driving you wouldn't buy a 1.4 Corolla or any similar car. An MX5 or Caterham etc is OK to be bare bones, the family car isn't.

Of course it does, if you like driving, a bland car is the last place you want to be.

So, if the Corolla you referenced in your earlier post had alloy wheels, electric windows, a less bland interior and loads of unspecified extras, would you want to own/drive one?

So, if the Corolla you referenced in your earlier post had alloy wheels, electric windows, a less bland interior and loads of unspecified extras, would you want to own/drive one?

It would be a nicer place to be, personally I would not want one.
    I just reference I'd the corolla as it is a common model, the same could be said for a megane etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I like driving.

Which is why I'm (still) running a 21 year-old MX5 mk1 as a 2nd car, 18 years after buying it.

By contemporary standards, it is very much poverty spec: electric nothing, drive assist nothing (alright, it does have power steering, and I'm told there's an ECU under the hood), minimalist interior all made of 90s Japanese plastic. It's got carpet, I suppose.

Now you see, when someone says they like driving, I picture they'd be happier driving a Lotus 7 with all the home comforts of a steel bathtub, than a German autobahn cruiser with an interior little removed from a Habitat showroom...and wholly uninterested in any econobox in-between, however well-appointed. I suspect that, for good many of them, lack of equipment is actually a (weight-saving) feature :D

Advertisement