Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Poverty spec?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

swarlb wrote: »
    I love the self depreciating nature of some of these posts, we Irish certainly have a very low opinion of ourselves at times.
    the self depreciation is humble-bragging, we all feckin love ourselves

Relax folks, it was but a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Most of the bleating about poverty spec cars in Ireland comes from people buying second hand, upset that there arent enough high spec models around for them to choose from, and are frustrated by the number of base spec models instead.

However, the irony is lost on them - of course you can buy a highly kitted out car if you want to. Order it and buy one. But they are the ultimate poverty spec merchants, not wanting to buy a new high spec car in the first place. Yet moan about why others havent done so for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

ambro25 wrote: »
    I like driving.

Which is why I'm (still) running a 21 year-old MX5 mk1 as a 2nd car, 18 years after buying it.

By contemporary standards, it is very much poverty spec: electric nothing, drive assist nothing (alright, it does have power steering, and I'm told there's an ECU under the hood), minimalist interior all made of 90s Japanese plastic. It's got carpet, I suppose.

Now you see, when someone says they like driving, I picture they'd be happier driving a Lotus 7 with all the home comforts of a steel bathtub, than a German autobahn cruiser with an interior little removed from a Habitat showroom...and wholly uninterested in any econobox in-between, however well-appointed. I suspect that, for good many of them, lack of equipment is actually a (weight-saving) feature :D
    Cars like your MX-5 in "poverty spec" are actually preferred, and classed differently as it's a sporty ish car.

For cars like that, which you love to fling around a bendy backroad, less is more.

A normal bog standard Micra or the likes, not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Some people put more stock in having a new car than a good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Most of the bleating about poverty spec cars in Ireland comes from people buying second hand, upset that there arent enough high spec models around for them to choose from, and are frustrated by the number of base spec models instead.

However, the irony is lost on them - of course you can buy a highly kitted out car if you want to. Order it and buy one. But they are the ultimate poverty spec merchants, not wanting to buy a new high spec car in the first place. Yet moan about why others havent done so for them.

This in a nutshell. I see it on this forum all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

It's a term I've used on here myself not to cause offence or be derogatory i classed a model with very little as paddy spec compared to uk equivalent but as someone else said we get better spec in some models polos and golfs for example friends have a 12 corolla saloon irish car borrowed it for a few days recently has a strange spec reverse sensors armrest but nothing else really don't even think it had a clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Philb76 wrote: »
    It's a term I've used on here myself not to cause offence or be derogatory i classed a model with very little as paddy spec compared to uk equivalent but as someone else said we get better spec in some models polos and golfs for example friends have a 12 corolla saloon irish car borrowed it for a few days recently has a strange spec reverse sensors armrest but nothing else really don't even think it had a clock

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Soon a manual gearbox will deem it 'paddy spec'. I know someone who got a (lovely) Q5. Lovely colour, lovely grey leather interior, 2.0.

Special order though, took 5 months. Audi were probably shocked that a manual gearbox was ordered. Probably had to design one for it first !!

Pity, as a used car in 5 yrs it'd have been just about perfect, spec-wise.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

I like my cars to be a place I want to be.
    I do a lot of driving, and enjoy driving.
    It's usually people who don't like driving who buy paddy spec cars.

Quite the opposite in some instances. Ferrari at one stage had complaints from customers that their cars were becoming too plush and comfortable. The F40 had virtually nothing, no radio, no carpets, no door cards...no door HANDLES, no window regulators (although they did fit windy up ones on later cars), not even inertia seat belts or leather seats !! The 'most expensive poverty spec' car on the market, makes a top of the range Dacia positively glamorous.The McLaren F1 didn't even have ABS or a servo, never mind a turbo, although they did fit a radio and air con...
    Let's say for argument sake that a company in the UK orders 100 basic model cars. Then after 2 years they are sold on. Some of them make their way over here... hardly 'Paddy Spec' if the original supplier and market was in the UK... Maybe 'John Bull' spec.
    Don't lump 'people who like driving' into the same category.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,159 ✭✭✭✭elperello

"Nice place to be"
    That Jeremy Clarkson has a lot to answer for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Dartz

Any car can be Poverty-spec. A poverty-spec car ise car you forever sit in and feel that slight dissapointment that you didn't find the extra hundred quid. It's the car that seems to go out of its way to point out that you could've easily spent more on it, but couldn't.... like the blank switches, spare wiring for features not fitted, the empty space under the bonnet, or the complete lack of delta-v when the foot goes down.

A poverty-spec car is not a car with no extras, it's a car that seems to exist solely to remind you that it could've had those extras, if you paid the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I can't imagine a modern C class appearing with the same spec as my one!

Your C class will be infinately more reliable and maintainable, and in years to come more desirable too

Advertisement