Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would anyone here actually like to see a speed camera anywhere?

• 14-02-2019 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

What can be done about our chronic speed culture?

I would like to see a few on the R132 (the old road from Swords to Balbriggan) which goes past Blake's Cross. The speed limit is 60 km/h on that section of the road and it is often treacherous for cycling on.

I would like to see the 50 km/h speed limit enforced on the junction between the M1 southbound and the M50 southbound.

The 80 km/h limit going southbound on the M1 (after the airport slip road).
    This makes it treacherous for people who keep left (as you should do) and move over to take the Malahide and City Centre slip roads when the signs and road markings say to. People often hog the middle lane at a dangerously high speed (120 km/h in the 80 km/h zone) and bully people who legally try to move over. More often that not, those people who were hogging the middle lane at speed often suddenly swerve left to take the M50 exit anyway.

The northbound (before the airport slip road) is 80 km/h. People often dangerously exceed that speed limit.

If you HAD to chose ONE, which one would you pick? 10 votes

Stop sign / red light cameras
    0% 0 votes
    Speed / average speed cameras
    70% 7 votes
    Lane discipline cameras
    30% 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

These cameras does not work, people speeding anyway. I do not speed but worst thing are endless road bumps. Some are so dangerous and damage the normal cars on normal speed. They should remove all these bumps but increase any speeding fine. The total cost for damaged suspension parts + lost fuel + pollution are insane. By good car they can speeding even between 2 road bumps by 120kmh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

I agree that speed bumps defy logic. They are a menace for paramedics, firefighters and Gardaí in pursuit. Scangers will just wreck the cars over them and won't give a shit.

Average speed cameras on the aforementioned section is the only way the message will sink in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

yes,
    shoved up Shane Rosses hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Average ones. Everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

DaDumTish wrote: »
    yes,
    shoved up Shane Rosses hole

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭blackbox

In a skip

• Registered Users Posts: 18,853 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

In housing estates, outside schools and down boreens with grass in the middle . But there should be a your speed sign directly in front of it. So if you are going to fast you get a warning and a fine if you ignore the warnings.

A speed camera in a dangerous location which doesn't catch a single speeder is more effective for safety than a letter in the post after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

At the entrance to and exit from every village.

Too many fckin scumbags spending thru villages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

I'd like to see average speed cameras along the Newport Road, and Pontoon Road in Castlebar once saw a car going so fast the back of it was moving side to side which is probably not a good sign.

I know the link is to the Daily Mail but could we also get these cameras that can help spot people using their phone while driving.

https://bit.ly/2DIAU2D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

yes I would love to see one on my road but unlikely as there hasnt been any accidents on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Yes I’d love a speed camera on my gable wall, I’d even pay the electricity bill to run it. Live at the bottom of a hill in a village and I’d say the average speed is easily 50mph scandalous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

Perched outside every garda station car park.

Mc Love wrote: »
    yes I would love to see one on my road but unlikely as there hasnt been any accidents on it

Just ask the Council to re-pave the road to a really high standard and light it up with new street lights. Once it's well paved, illuminated, with good visibility and its comfortable/safe to drive on at a higher speed than the one marked, a speed van will start appearing there.

It doesn't have a whole lot to do with preventing accidents, based on where I tend to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Take the speed cameras from non accident black spots, then replace with red light cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Do we actually have a "chronic speed culture"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Every half mile in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

There needs to be traffic enforcement cameras of various types all over the place.

Speed: both average and instant, fixed and roaming. Not vans that people see from a mile off and slow down for.
    Red Light
    Illegal turns
    Illegal parking
    Driving in virtual islands
    etc.

Garda can't be everywhere and when they are seem little interested in enforcing driving rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Crock Rock wrote: »
    I agree that speed bumps defy logic. They are a menace for paramedics, firefighters and Gardaí in pursuit. Scangers will just wreck the cars over them and won't give a shit.

Average speed cameras on the aforementioned section is the only way the message will sink in.

Skangers will speed anywhere and everywhere

But speedbumps slow the vast vast majority of road users down.

So no they don't defy logic.

Most modern cars will exceed speed limits without much effort whatever. So bumps have value in keeping drivers aware.

Or do you think the only offenders are skangers?

For the record I'd have speed cameras and speed bumps and whatever else on our road. A regular drag strip. And not for skangers. More the Range Rover, Audi A6 variety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Everywhere ideally, but they do seem like such ancient technology. What we need is GPS systems linked to a system that automatically collects the fines and adds the point for anyone exceeding the limit. Driving licence linked to credit cards or bank account, and the Revenue able to deduct it at source for anyone whose normal payment path doesnt have the cash or credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Everywhere ideally, but they do seem like such ancient technology. What we need is GPS systems linked to a system that automatically collects the fines and adds the point for anyone exceeding the limit. Driving licence linked to credit cards or bank account, and the Revenue able to deduct it at source for anyone whose normal payment path doesnt have the cash or credit.

I think that would be a bit too "big brother" for everyone. Driving can be a pleasure. A system like this would take all the joy out of it.

Everybody speeds, but speeding excessively, in the wrong areas, and taking stupid risks are what cause accidents. Not travelling 10 km/h over the limit on a motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

NO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Crock Rock wrote: »

I would like to see a few on the R132 (the old road from Swords to Balbriggan) which goes past Blake's Cross. The speed limit is 60 km/h on that section of the road and it is often treacherous for cycling on.

What are you doing cycling on that stretch of road you nutter? If anything the limit should be increased there.

Get off the damn road. You're a hindrance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Flyingsnowball

On the corner outside my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Just an FYI, of the speed limit is 60,80,100 whatever, you are legally allowed to do that speed. So if you see a speed camera in a 60 zone please don't suddenly got the brakes and proceed for the next mile at 35.... 59 is perfectly acceptable. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The question is, is that by catching people speeding does it prevent accidents?
    The N4 Eastbound had a gatso parked on it every morning, never any speeding accidents. Now there is no gatso parked at all, and guess what, no accidents.

If anything, people stuck in bumper to bumper traffic causes accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kaahooters

"Originally Posted by Crock Rock View Post

I would like to see a few on the R132 (the old road from Swords to Balbriggan) which goes past Blake's Cross. The speed limit is 60 km/h on that section of the road and it is often treacherous for cycling on."

its 60 from batterhall / turvey to north side of corduff, form there to balrothery its 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

You should move to China; I think you'd like their surveillance methods!
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/02/china-surveillance/552203/

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

I'd like to see them at the entrance to all towns and villages. That will teach the idiot in front of me doing 70kph in a 100kph zone, who then continues in a 50kph zone doing 70kph...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Average speed camera on the M50 would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Personally, I'd be of the opinion the cameras shouldn't be visible.
    Lord Nikon wrote: »
    The question is, is that by catching people speeding does it prevent accidents?
    The N4 Eastbound had a gatso parked on it every morning, never any speeding accidents. Now there is no gatso parked at all, and guess what, no accidents.

If anything, people stuck in bumper to bumper traffic causes accident.

Theres always accidents on various stretches of that road. There was one just before m4 degrades to n4 this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement