Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would anyone here actually like to see a speed camera anywhere?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Another idea that should happen in my opinion is to encourage more people to have dash cams and helmet cams and set up a website where people could upload footage of law-breaking or reckless behaviour on the road and then have that footage reviewed by the Garda.

I think the above would require a change in the law so make footage from dash and helmet cams legally admissible in court or to issue a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Personally, I'd be of the opinion the cameras shouldn't be visible.

Theres always accidents on various stretches of that road. There was one just before m4 degrades to n4 this morning.

Would a camera have prevented the accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

RHJ wrote: »
    Another idea that should happen in my opinion is to encourage more people to have dash cams and helmet cams and set up a website where people could upload footage of law-breaking or reckless behaviour on the road and then have that footage reviewed by the Garda.

I think the above would require a change in the law so make footage from dash and helmet cams legally admissible in court or to issue a fine.

Can't do that, would be easy to delete the prior minutes to change how the situation looks.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Lol I am hoping you are trolling as most of the times the average speed on the M50 is around walking speed :pac:

Not in the slightest, the jams are caused by people speeding, good few places in Holland I can think of where an Average speed camera drastically improved the flow of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

redcup342 wrote: »
    Can't do that, would be easy to delete the prior minutes to change how the situation looks.

You could always require that videos are of a certain length, for example, require people to show the previous 5 minutes and 5 minutes after the reported incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

speed cameras are old tech... and dont work

need GPS speed limiters fitted to cars.. that will sort it out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Would a camera have prevented the accident?

I don't know why it happened. I just know someone hit something hard enough to flatten the engine bay on their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

border counties, everywhere, literally hundreds in cavan, monaghan and donegal. Would save some lives by either forcing a massive culture change into slowing down or banning those determined to live up to the rallying image.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I'd like to see them at the entrance to all towns and villages. That will teach the idiot in front of me doing 70kph in a 100kph zone, who then continues in a 50kph zone doing 70kph...

Yeah, and instead of taking a picture of the car, it should launch a missile at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

redcup342 wrote: »
    Not in the slightest, the jams are caused by people speeding, good few places in Holland I can think of where an Average speed camera drastically improved the flow of traffic.

I think it's more the imbeciles that can't merge/poor lane discipline/swerve across 3 lanes to get to their exit/aggressively bull into lanes/general selfish gobsh*tes stuck on their phones oblivious to their surroundings that cause a lot of the daily accordion traffic fun on the M50

The main instance I really see inappropriate speed involved is where drivers shoot up the aux lanes to cut out onto the motorway at the very last second

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The main instance I really see inappropriate speed involved is where drivers shoot up the aux lanes to cut out onto the motorway at the very last second

That's the proper way to use merging lanes. If everyone did that, things would flow better.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »
    That's the proper way to use merging lanes. If everyone did that, things would flow better.

Whoops, I should have been clearer. I guess what I said would fall into the category of imbeciles not merging correctly where they need to speed up which isn't strictly what I'm referring to here

Here's an example I see regularly:

We start at the Ballymun exit, going south. Usually plenty of chances to merge safely but no: they need to gain the extra few car lengths and seconds. We then get to here (google maps on the other side of the motorway :o), where most people would cut out; usually causing the car already in the lane to jam on (shoulds, woulds and coulds generally do not apply as it regularly happens)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

Junction 9 m50 north and south bound is the worst for this crap. Should implement bollards for the last 300m or so as there is plenty of notice to get into the correct lane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

McGaggs wrote: »

No it isn't.

If you are over taking on the left, you are going faster than the traffic, you are "attempting" to merge into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

No it isn't.

If you are over taking on the left, you are going faster than the traffic, you are "attempting" to merge into.

Eh nah man, that's how you use a merging lane, if you are merging at the beginning of the lane you are wasting all the road ahead of you.

You are supposed to go all the way to the end and merge one for one (like a zipper)

:pac:

1456146_080316-wtvd-zipper-merge-graphic-img.jpg?w=1280&r=16:9

Junction 9 m50 north and south bound is the worst for this crap. Should implement bollards for the last 300m or so as there is plenty of notice to get into the correct lane.

Say like here?

Imagine the fun there would be if these weren't here! :eek::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Cyclepath wrote: »
    You should move to China; I think you'd like their surveillance methods!
    https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/02/china-surveillance/552203/

If you're not doing anything wrong then it's irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

If you're not doing anything wrong then it's irrelevant.

That old chestnut. Should we put a camera in everyone's house just in case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

What are you doing cycling on that stretch of road you nutter? If anything the limit should be increased there.

Get off the damn road. You're a hindrance!

How am I a nutter? It's a R-Road.

Can you not overtake me when it's safe and legal to do so?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Crock Rock wrote: »
    How am I a nutter? It's a R-Road. Can you not overtake me when it's safe and legal to do so?

I can and I do but there are certain roads bicycles shouldn't be on, at least not in rush hour(s). You can cause half mile tailbacks because of your insistence on cladding up in lycra because its your "right" to do so. Get the fukking Bus, drive or get a lift and stop being so selfish. You can act the eejit at the weekends on quieter roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

I can and I do but there are certain roads bicycles shouldn't be on, at least not in rush hour(s). You can cause half mile tailbacks because of your insistence on cladding up in lycra because its your "right" to do so. Get the fukking Bus, drive or get a lift and stop being so selfish. You can act the eejit at the weekends on quieter roads.

You do realise that some of us work on weekends?
    Also, there'd be much less traffic at rush hour if more of us "lycra cladders" took to the road at rush hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,669 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

None of the above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement