Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

L drivers, cars taken

• 16-02-2019 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Heard in rte news yesterday that nearly 400 l drivers have had their cars seized for driving on their own?
    Can any one verify that or is it just hype?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

400 is a tiny number in comparison.

The only guess I can arrive at is that there are approx 50,000 people learning to drive each year on Irish roads, given that 50,000 people sit the leaving cert each year.

At a 50% failure rate you could guess that 100,000 tests are carried out each year. So that 400 apprehensions for lone driving without a full licence is 1/2 of 1 per cent of the total number of drivers learning on our roads.

When a car is seized it does not necessarily mean it is totally lost. A fine and recovery fee may restore the car to its owner. If the owner does not have a driver to accompany him this could be a problem but a recover truck could take the car to the owners house until he gets a driver.

The real problem starts with people having no private yard or driveway to keep a car on when it is not in use.

It seems that in the future, people with no access to a fully qualified driver or access to parking will have to hire cars and drivers from a school of motoring for all their learning activities including gaining experience and practice.

The country will have to look into how other countries manage to finance driver education and training in order to overcome the difficulty of young people being able to conform legally and practically to the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This tweet puts the number at 337

Don't be next OP

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1096488445059518465

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

Nice to see them going after the hardcore criminals here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Anthonylfc wrote: »

I like to see them going after everyone. Get them off the roads.

I like to see them going after everyone. Get them off the roads.

Wouldnt see them do this to travellers or known drug dealers

Just new drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Wouldnt see them do this to travellers or known drug dealers

Just new drivers

While driving unaccompanied may be deemed low in terms of level of criminality, the potential outcome of such an action would be deemed of high risk as an accident owing to lack of experience could lead to multiple fatalities.

New drivers / learners should not be driving unaccompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Anthonylfc wrote:

So just the laws you agree with should be enforced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Usually hardcore criminals drive without tax,insurance,nct,licence etc, so it is relevant.

Hence the term 'drive by shooting'

So just the laws you agree with should be enforced?

In cases like that people want their cake and to also eat it.

If it's an illegal act enforce the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Drug dealing and running is being carried out by kids of 8 years of age.

Drug dealers in cars usually use rentals or have cars that have everything legal and constantly changing their vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

In cases like that people want their cake and to also eat it.

Or until it effects them.

biko wrote: »
    This tweet puts the number at 337

Don't be next OP

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1096488445059518465

That's only what they have caught, imagine those who have successfully evaded checkpoints by seeing them or even tip offs via social media.

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

Or until it effects them.

Aye

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

No tax or no insurance or unaccompanied L driving is a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

doolox wrote: »
    400 is a tiny number in comparison.

The only guess I can arrive at is that there are approx 50,000 people learning to drive each year on Irish roads, given that 50,000 people sit the leaving cert each year.

At a 50% failure rate you could guess that 100,000 tests are carried out each year. So that 400 apprehensions for lone driving without a full licence is 1/2 of 1 per cent of the total number of drivers learning on our roads.

When a car is seized it does not necessarily mean it is totally lost. A fine and recovery fee may restore the car to its owner. If the owner does not have a driver to accompany him this could be a problem but a recover truck could take the car to the owners house until he gets a driver.

The real problem starts with people having no private yard or driveway to keep a car on when it is not in use.

It seems that in the future, people with no access to a fully qualified driver or access to parking will have to hire cars and drivers from a school of motoring for all their learning activities including gaining experience and practice.

The country will have to look into how other countries manage to finance driver education and training in order to overcome the difficulty of young people being able to conform legally and practically to the new rules.

Leaving the car parked in the road isn't a problem if you haven't passed the test,and it's taxed/insured and NCTd, it's driving unaccompanied is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

What’s a Garda to do if an unaccompanied learner pulls up to a checkpoint?

Let them off because there are worse criminals currently free, that’s fairly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i think the long wait times for test and retest need to be looked at, a lot of drivers are just to impatience to wait, still surprised at the response of Garda to this new law and the rate of prosecution, but i suppose because with L plates on the car, big red flag. (not advising to take off L plates before going out unaccompanied).but at the end of of the day its a piece of paper and one tester saying your ok to drive, the day before you were not,you were just a Criminal breaking the law.
    but it must be keeping the Guards busy.

amcalester wrote: »
    What’s a Garda to do if an unaccompanied learner pulls up to a checkpoint?

Let them off because there are worse criminals currently free, that’s fairly stupid.

Yes

At the moment they take the car till a fully insured driver comes to collect the car and unaccompanied driver gets a slap on wrist or few points

More paperwork for gards

Far far worse going on in the streets than this but they do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

I know those kid's think they can drive without a proper license.
    Feckers are a law onto themselves, a danger to other drivers.

Sitting in a mechanical propelled vehicle liable to kill someone else and themselves.

The amount who use the wrong lane in a roundabout is frightening, overtake in the slow lane with N plates too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Yes

At the moment they take the car till a fully insured driver comes to collect the car and unaccompanied driver gets a slap on wrist or few points

More paperwork for gards

So a Garda assigned to a checkpoint should ignore the very thing he has been told to check because it’s not serious enough.

What’s the hierarchy of offenses, in your opinion, that should be prosecuted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is causing a knock on problem. L drivers aren't putting on their plates.
    It's a horrendous law on anyone not served by regular public transport, basically anyone outside a city.

Yes

More paperwork for gards

Try saying that to someone who ended up in a wheelchair due to an inexperienced driver.

A kick to the spine could cause the same outcome as a collision with stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    I know those kid's think they can drive without a proper license.
    Feckers are a law onto themselves, a danger to other drivers.

Sitting in a mechanical propelled vehicle liable to kill someone else and themselves.

The amount who use the wrong lane in a roundabout is frightening, overtake in the slow lane with N plates too...

Plenty of full license drivers doing this i say more then learner drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I read in the Irish Times (IIRC) that they’re seized an average of 8 cars per day. That’s actually fairly high, but it’s about time that the law was enforced.

I have a certain level of sympathy, but there is a clear breaking of the law happening and it needs to be fixed.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Plenty of full license drivers doing this i say more then learner drivers.

I know but the full license driver's are properly insured, there lies the problem.

A number of things need to be done in this country but alas they won't

No issuing of a 3rd or subsequent learner permit without evidence of having sat a driving test.

Test those who were issued with licences in the amnesty.

Bring in Applus or SGS testers to get the backlog down, i did my own test in a car with SGS at a Dublin NCT centre.

It will probably become necessary to check every driver's licence/permit at checkpoints, the technology is now there to check if a driver has a full driving licence/learner permit/disqualified via the hand held devices linked to the RSA's database.

What does one do with this guy and those similar? failed the test on 17 occasions.

Only credit he can get is he is trying unlike the 2000 people on 10 or more learner permits, i read that online recently.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/radio-station-stupid-to-fuel-driver-ire-461326.html

If what he says about driving in the UK on the then provisional licence i will eat my hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Of course one of the first posts is "why aren't they getting real criminals"

How dare the Road Policing Unit do traffic duties. Should be out catching murderers and rapists. It's a disgrace, Joe!

Just because someone isn't a drug lord doesn't mean they aren't breaking the law and shouldn't be taken off the road.

• Advertisement

A few articles relevant to the topic

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/opinion-why-is-the-irish-driving-test-so-hard-and-so-expensive-3756202-Dec2017/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/garda-who-never-sat-a-driving-test-loses-appeal-against-conviction-for-using-fake-license-829610.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/some-65-000-irish-drivers-on-their-third-or-higher-learners-permits-1.3471340
    Attendance is also, according to the RSA, a serious part of the problem. “Almost 19,000 candidates did not show up for their driving test in 2017, equating to 15 per cent of driving tests and six weeks of lost productivity,” said the spokesperson. “Many of these candidates failed to turn up because they are simply booking a driving test in order to apply for the renewal of their learner permit.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/rsa-planning-crackdown-as-thousands-use-loophole-to-avoid-full-driving-test-863115.html

Advertisement