Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

L drivers, cars taken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Of course one of the first posts is "why aren't they getting real criminals"

How dare the Road Policing Unit do traffic duties. Should be out catching murderers and rapists. It's a disgrace, Joe!

Just because someone isn't a drug lord doesn't mean they aren't breaking the law and shouldn't be taken off the road.

When ever I read people moaning about the guard's should be doing this that or the other, the first thing that comes to mind is "petty criminals" or middle classes with spoiled kid's who should be allowed to break the law, well because they're my kid's.
    And I'm important.
    My brother's a gawrd you know....
    Thant kind of mindset..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Naos wrote: »
    While driving unaccompanied may be deemed low in terms of level of criminality, the potential outcome of such an action would be deemed of high risk as an accident owing to lack of experience could lead to multiple fatalities.

New drivers / learners should not be driving unaccompanied.

I hate this argument purely for the fact we all did just what you're saying new drivers shouldn't. I'd rather the time and effort was put into catching drivers on their phones they should seize cars from them and the message wont be long hitting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

Test those who were issued with licences in the amnesty.

Sure why do something sensible when the powers that be can just blame all the problems on the roads on young people.

No issue really with the law being enforced and I'm no expert driver. I can only comment on what i see myself on the roads. And 9 times out of 10 when i see someone doing something really stupid or dangerous it's someone that looks like they've been driving 20 or 30 years and not a learner driver.

It's long over due that the RSA produce an ad featuring someone behind the wheel that looks over 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Acosta wrote: »
    Sure why do something sensible when the powers that be can just blame all the problems on the roads on young people.

No issue really with the law being enforced and I'm no expert driver. I can only comment on what i see myself on the roads. And 9 times out of 10 when i see someone doing something really stupid or dangerous it's someone that looks like they've been driving 20 or 30 years and not a learner driver.

It's long over due that the RSA produce an ad featuring someone behind the wheel that looks over 40.
    It’ll have to come down to the over 40’s featuring.

The whole ‘he drives she dies’ ad blew up in their faces with women at the wheel and people or males dying.

Blaming the government is the easy way out, surprised that the EU never brought in a directive to cover learner drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I hate this argument purely for the fact we all did just what you're saying new drivers shouldn't. I'd rather the time and effort was put into catching drivers on their phones they should seize cars from them and the message wont be long hitting home.

I would say both. The lower-level road traffic laws in this country are just not enforced and it is human nature to break rules that are inconvenient if they know they get away with it. It seems the only offence on Irish roads is speeding.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Anthonylfc

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    I know those kid's think they can drive without a proper license.
    Feckers are a law onto themselves, a danger to other drivers.

Sitting in a mechanical propelled vehicle liable to kill someone else and themselves.

The amount who use the wrong lane in a roundabout is frightening, overtake in the slow lane with N plates too...

Same can be said about old age peoples vision and reaction times etc

Or women plastering make up on while driving and on phones too

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    Same can be said about old age peoples vision and reaction times etc

Or women plastering make up on while driving and on phones too

Doctors must sign off on the over 70's for a driving licence/learner permit, i would presume (or at least hope) they do check their eye sight.

When i renewed my own licence recently i had to get an eye test done by an official optician before the GP would sign off on my medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Id say in fairness that there's very few on here who haven't done it.

Real issue is the total failure of the testing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Acosta wrote: »
    ... And 9 times out of 10 when i see someone doing something really stupid or dangerous it's someone that looks like they've been driving 20 or 30 years and not a learner driver.

While that type of comment is trotted out here regularly, statistically young drivers are a much greater risk on our roads and that is reflected in their insurance costs and payouts.

They are probably even more of a risk than insurance statistics present as most older drivers think nothing of making a claim for something fairly routine while many younger drivers will avoid going through their insurance if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

How is a young lad or lass in rural Ireland supposed to get to and from work ? There is no public transport system,no taxi service most of the time, and no one available to accompany them . But hey ho shane ross thinks he's doing the country a great service, Wait until the c##ts come canvassing again. Between this and the drink driving zero tolerance rural Ireland is on lockdown. An old man who leaves close to me whom I often call to for a chat told me with a tear in his and I quote " I am not a criminal yet do you see those 4 walls? (in his living room) I am a prisoner here . He used to go in to town for his dinner and have a pint of stout and a chat with a few friends before it. If Ross wants these laws then he needs a revamp of public transport or better still reopen the railway lines that were scandalously confined to history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

UrbanFret wrote: »
    How is a young lad or lass in rural Ireland supposed to get to and from work ? There is no public transport system,no taxi service most of the time, and no one available to accompany them . But hey ho shane ross thinks he's doing the country a great service, Wait until the c##ts come canvassing again. Between this and the drink driving zero tolerance rural Ireland is on lockdown. An old man who leaves close to me whom I often call to for a chat told me with a tear in his and I quote " I am not a criminal yet do you see those 4 walls? (in his living room) I am a prisoner here . He used to go in to town for his dinner and have a pint of stout and a chat with a few friends before it. If Ross wants these laws then he needs a revamp of public transport or better still reopen the railway lines that were scandalously confined to history.

Does he know he can still drive after a big feed?

It’s not illegal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Having inconvenience getting to work is no excuse for any novice driver putting my life in jeopardy by being on the same road as me in illegal circumstances

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Having inconvenience getting to work is no excuse for any novice driver putting my life in jeopardy by being on the same road as me in illegal circumstances

Easy now. Novice means passing the test within the last 2 years.

As mentioned, novice is someone with a full licence under 2 years that displays N plates, you mean a learner drivers (who is supposed to display L plates)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

How about the young lad or lasses do lessons, do their test and get a licence . The rest of Europe manage like that its not rocket science
    And why on earth can the old man not still go for dinner and chat without the pint ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

doolox wrote: »
    It seems that in the future, people with no access to a fully qualified driver or access to parking will have to hire cars and drivers from a school of motoring for all their learning activities including gaining experience and practice.

The country will have to look into how other countries manage to finance driver education and training in order to overcome the difficulty of young people being able to conform legally and practically to the new rules.

It's very simple. In other countries you enroll in a school of motoring, take theory and driving lessons, take a theory and driving test and once you pass that, you can drive. As for finance, well, you want it, you pay for it.
    Works for hundreds of millions of people all over Europe.
    The idea is, either you have a license and you can drive, or you don't and you can't.
    Absolutely nothing difficult about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

It's the law now and people need to just get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 84,910 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think seizing the car is a tad too much

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    How about the young lad or lasses do lessons, do their test and get a licence . The rest of Europe manage like that its not rocket science
    And why on earth can the old man not still go for dinner and chat without the pint ?

Don't think you realise what rural Ireland is all about. The process you describe above will take at least 6 months ,what are the supposed to do in the meantime. The driving test is a ****ing joke. Tells you nothing about how capable or not the driver is. You just drive for 40 minutes in a manner you will never practice again in your lifetime. As for my elderly friend he looked forward to that pint every day. I'll mention your pearls of wisdom to him, who would have though you could have your dinner without an aperitif.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Don't think you realise what rural Ireland is all about. The process you describe above will take at least 6 months ,what are the supposed to do in the meantime. The driving test is a ****ing joke. Tells you nothing about how capable or not the driver is. You just drive for 40 minutes in a manner you will never practice again in your lifetime. As for my elderly friend he looked forward to that pint every day. I'll mention your pearls of wisdom to him, who would have though you could have your dinner without an aperitif.:rolleyes:

I am from rural Ireland, from the deepest boondocks in fact. And these heart-pulling stories don’t work on me. You don’t get to drive unaccompanied, unqualified because you have a sob story. There are millions of young people living in rural areas all across Europe and they manage it. We’re not that special.

• Advertisement

I am sure he did but it certainly doesn't mean he can't go without . He is making his own prison for himself if he can't do enjoy a chat and dinner simply because he can't have a pint

What are they supposed to do ? Well for a start learn to drive and do their test ?
    Every other country in Europe teach drivers in driving schools with qualified teachers and not just any auld eejit with a licence . Its a very simple proceedure

dudara wrote: »
    I am from rural Ireland, from the deepest boondocks in fact. And these heart-pulling stories don’t work on me. You don’t get to drive unaccompanied, unqualified because you have a sob story. There are millions of young people living in rural areas all across Europe and they manage it. We’re not that special.

Finally a person from the sticks saying it like it is. Sick of the sob stories now.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am sure he did but it certainly doesn't mean he can't go without . He is making his own prison for himself if he can't do enjoy a chat and dinner simply because he can't have a pint

What are they supposed to do ? Well for a start learn to drive and do their test ?
    Every other country in Europe teach drivers in driving schools with qualified teachers and not just any auld eejit with a licence . Its a very simple proceedure

And for the 6 months it takes to complete this process? How are they supposed to get to their work?

And for the 6 months it takes to complete this process? How are they supposed to get to their work?

Figure it out like the rest of Europe do .For example in Germany many teens have " Licence " accounts . They save into it or birthday money etc
    Soon as the reach the age they register with a school of motoring and make sure they get enough lessons and apply for the test in a short space of time . Only then can they rely on a car to get them to work so if they want to work before they pass the test they figure transport out

The day one gets the permit apply for the test, once the 12th lesson is logged a date is issued. I don’t get people who wait until after the 6 months to apply.

Do you think that we Irish are so special the roads should be a free for all? dudara nailed it on the head with her comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

yeah, why is this country so behind ,we should do what ever Europe do the moment they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How do you think the rest of us managed? We moved out from under our parents roof and shared a rooms with others and we walked and cycled to work. Later we passed a driving test and then got a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    yeah, why is this country so behind ,we should do what ever Europe do the moment they do it.

Europe is doing this for donkeys and its not about doing what Europe does if thats what irks you, its about demonstrating that its not that difficult when millions of others clearly manage.

The L driver system here is a leniency compared to most other countries - not just European countries - and its being abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Europe is doing this for donkeys and its not about doing what Europe does if thats what irks you, its about demonstrating that its not that difficult when millions of others clearly manage.

The L driver system here is a leniency compared to most other countries - not just European countries - and its being abused.

Why mention Europe then, I understand why L drivers shouldn't drive unaccompanied, my sons learning to drive, no way would i let him nor does he want to, but the reaction seems to have happen over night,guards seem to coming down hard at the early stage of the new law enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

They should have thought about that when they were 18, my son's doing driving lessons and he's doing it the right way.
    He's going to pass his test hopefully soon enough.
    I know plenty of parents who's kids have full licences at 19....

Advertisement