Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pop/film stars who don't make it in the looks department

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

All this talk of Saoirse Ronan, I had to check out an interview on YouTube....she has a completely normal accent for an Irish person. What is the issue with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Ed Sheeran.

Didn't make it in the song writing deptartment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Lionel Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Kathy Bates.

But who cares, I could watch her forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Saoirse has this oddly flat, expressionless face. Very difficult to warm to her.

She's also extremely false. She stands out as false in the movie business which says something

• Advertisement

Hedgelayer wrote: »
    He's quite an interesting looking fellow, he reminds me of a haunted picture or something.

He has some head on him.

I never understand the way Saoirse Ronan gets criticised for her accent (so ****ing what if it sounds more Dublin than where she is from) and not being stunning looking. Besides her acting talent, she's no different to thousands of young women, and seems perfectly normal and down to earth. She doesn't get herself in the "gossip" pages constantly for having her arse out or all the fellas she's shagged. She seems to just do her acting thing, appear on talk shows and come across perfectly pleasant, and otherwise live her life privately.

What's the resentment for? It seems like desperation to find fault. As with numerous other Irish women here.

I especially don’t understand the people who say “She’s actually American, so she’s definitely hamming up that Irish accent!”. Please, she spent only about the first six months of her life there and most of that time would have been spent with her Irish parents. And her accent doesn’t sound hammy to me at all.

I think some people dislike her because of her liberal politics. Another thing I don’t get. I could not care less what the politics of any given talented actor is. I’m never going to know these people in real life so if they continue to put in good acting performances, that’s all I care about.

And finally I think some people think she goes on about how to pronounce her name a bit too much. There’s a small bit of truth in this but I’ve seen a few interviews with her where it didn’t come up at all.

Overall, I agree with you that there seems to be a small group of people who seem a bit too eager to tear her down.

Frances McDormand

I especially don’t understand the people who say “She’s actually American, so she’s definitely hamming up that Irish accent!”. Please, she spent only about the first six months of her life there and most of that time would have been spent with her Irish parents. And her accent doesn’t sound hammy to me at all.

I think some people dislike her because of her liberal politics. Another thing I don’t get. I could not care less what the politics of any given talented actor is. I’m never going to know these people in real life so if they continue to put in good acting performances, that’s all I care about.

And finally I think some people think she goes on about how to pronounce her name a bit too much. There’s a small bit of truth in this but I’ve seen a few interviews with her where it didn’t come up at all.

Overall, I agree with you that there seems to be a small group of people who seem a bit too eager to tear her down.

There are also people out there that don't like her. And despite your lack of approval for this opinion will continue to express this dislike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

It's Culture Cringe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

What's the resentment for? It seems like desperation to find fault. As with numerous other Irish women here.

I've noticed, on here at least, that her biggest detractors are usually curmudgeonly right-wing men. Which is odd because, while she's expressed the occasional 'liberal' view, she's not exactly... I don't know... Louise O'Neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

She's also extremely false. She stands out as false in the movie business which says something
    She does? How?
    There are also people out there that don't like her. And despite your lack of approval for this opinion will continue to express this dislike.
    But why don't they like her? There's nothing concrete to dislike about her. Outside of her acting, there's absolutely nothing remarkable about her. People should think for themselves instead of jumping on a bandwagon.

I didn't even know she expressed political views.

Her name probably comes up a lot because of interviewers going on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've noticed, on here at least, that her biggest detractors are usually curmudgeonly right-wing men./quote]

Well in fairness those same people you are speaking about dislike any woman, especially independent ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

anewme wrote: »
    those same people you are speaking about dislike any woman, especially independent ones.
    But they'll be quick to throw out the "gold digger" cat call too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

image1165723x.jpg

Vincent Schiavelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Ah here! Now granted she’s no California beach babe but she’s hardly lacking in the looks department. Very striking looking girl with stunning eyes

Really? I think shes extremely plain looking

Nothing wrong with that though most people are just normal/plain looking too. And I think shes quite a talented actress.

Obviously there are going to be people who just don’t like her. I’m just commenting that some of the criticism directed at her is utterly asinine.

And, yup, people who don’t like her can knock themselves out. They can have their opinion, people can have an opinion on those opinions, people can have an opinion on people having an opinion on their opinion. And so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

All this talk of Saoirse Ronan, I had to check out an interview on YouTube....she has a completely normal accent for an Irish person. What is the issue with it?

About as genuine as Andrea Corr's accent in The Commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭blackcard

Marty Feldman
    Marty Whelan, Marty Morrissey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Shane McGowan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Sia
    Adele

I've noticed, on here at least, that her biggest detractors are usually curmudgeonly right-wing men. Which is odd because, while she's expressed the occasional 'liberal' view, she's not exactly... I don't know... Louise O'Neill.

I have noted that too. She’s been political at times - appearing in a promotional video supporting the repeal of the eighth amendment, supporting the Me Too movement. For some, that would be enough to put them off. Their loss, I suppose. I find the idea of liking or disliking actors based on their politics totally exhausting. Unless they are politically completely hateful and politically completely hateful people are pretty rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think Saoirse Ronan is very talented and seems sound enough, so good luck to her with success.

But that accent is about 20-30% too much in the "arah, shur the salt of de earth" department.

Arghus wrote: »
    I think Saoirse Ronan is very talented and seems sound enough, so good luck to her with success.

But that accent is about 20-30% too much in the "arah, shur the salt of de earth" department.

Ireland has great variation in accents. I’ve known lots of people who sound just like her.

Chris O’Dowd is the Irish celeb that I think hams up his accent the most. It sounds totally put on to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I find the idea of liking or disliking actors based on their politics totally exhausting. Unless they are politically completely hateful and politically completely hateful people are pretty rare.

Outside of After Hours, it's rare enough that you'll encounter a completely hateful right-winger. I'm hardly going to stop enjoying the work of Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kelsey Grammer, etc, just because they've expressed some views that I disagree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

Lorelli! wrote: »

She has quite a range, she can channel a Vanessa Redgrave/Catherine Deneuve look one minute and then goggle around like an Annunaki hybrid in "We Need To Talk About Kevin".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ireland has great variation in accents. I’ve known lots of people who sound just like her.

Chris O’Dowd is the Irish celeb that I think hams up his accent the most. It sounds totally put on to me.

Ah yeah, there's totally people that sound just like her but most of them haven't spent the last ten years or so between LA, New York and London. She'd have lost some of it along the way. She hams it up.

Outside of After Hours, it's rare enough that you'll encounter a completely hateful right-winger. I'm hardly going to stop enjoying the work of Clint Eastwood, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Kelsey Grammer, etc, just because they've expressed some views that I disagree with.

Well, exactly. I’m never going to meet these people so as long as they can keep entertaining me, well, that’s all I’m looking for from these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

wakka12 wrote: »
    Sia
    Adele

635832922522740034-XXX-Exclusive-Adele-PR-03-RGB.jpg?width=534&height=712&fit=crop

I have to disagree in regards to Adele. When she's overweight she's carrying a little too much than her frame can carry but at her slimmer weights you can see she's quite a pretty lady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Shane McGowen, Susan Boyle, Sia come to mind.

And Saoirse Ronan is hot as ****, some of her styles make her look less attractive.

Just because ed and her were mentioned

Advertisement