Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pop/film stars who don't make it in the looks department

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Arghus wrote: »
    Ah yeah, there's totally people that sound just like her but most of them haven't spent the last ten years or so between LA, New York and London. She'd have lost some of it along the way. She hams it up.

Not everyone loses their accent when they move countries. It’s something that has always interested me. Some lose their accent quickly, others sound like they’ve never left their village. Seeing as she has an Irish accent that many people have, I don’t know how you can tell that she hams it up or has just never lost the accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not everyone loses their accent when they move countries. It’s something that has always interested me. Some lose their accent quickly, others sound like they’ve never left their village. Seeing as she has an Irish accent that many people have, I don’t know how you can tell that she hams it up or has just never lost the accent.

Yep. I've lived away from ireland for most of the past 10 years and haven't lost my accent at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I can't stand contrived accents but Saoirse Ronan sounds totally fine to me. It's not even that inner city Dub. Why would she lose her accent because of spending a lot of time abroad? If that happened she'd also be criticised! A person's accent is surely gonna be the one they've had most of their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The very same dull men who inexplicably lose their shit when they hear her Dublin accent would no doubt be equally infuriated if she developed a mid-Atlantic accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Al Pachino, in Scent of a Woman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The likes of Charlotte Crosby that completely butcher themselves with plastic surgery. I find her hilarious though.

Willem Dafoe creeps me the f out but he's a brilliant actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

That monstrosity (Davidson) - the rather very nice Kate Beckinsdale lady was dating,
    what was she thinking, must be a mid-life crisis she's undergoing.

3WxQIxd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The thread title is pop and film stars who don’t make it in the looks department, and most of the thread has been taken up so far with discussing Saoirse Ronan? Me thinks some posters are definitely missing the point of the thread :pac:

Can’t fathom how Jack Nicholson and Mick Jagger haven’t warranted a mention, they come to mind a lot quicker than Saoirse bloody Ronan for being successful in spite of lacking in the looks department! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Can’t fathom how Jack Nicholson and Mick Jagger haven’t warranted a mention, they come to mind a lot quicker than Saoirse bloody Ronan for being successful in spite of lacking in the looks department! :confused:
    Mick Jagger was mentioned in the third post.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Yep. I've lived away from ireland for most of the past 10 years and haven't lost my accent at all.

Sign your not fickle and have a strong sense of self

• Advertisement

I can't stand contrived accents but Saoirse Ronan sounds totally fine to me. It's not even that inner city Dub. Why would she lose her accent because of spending a lot of time abroad? If that happened she'd also be criticised! A person's accent is surely gonna be the one they've had most of their lives.

I used to find it slightly odd but then read up on how she lived in severa places from birth and how at least one of her parents is from Dublin, it makes sense now

The thread title is pop and film stars who don’t make it in the looks department, and most of the thread has been taken up so far with discussing Saoirse Ronan? Me thinks some posters are definitely missing the point of the thread :pac:

Plenty of rock stars down the years were ugly as fcuk, didn't stop them getting any amount of tail, hell ozzy Osborne even made sure to marry someone as ugly as him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The very same dull men who inexplicably lose their shit when they hear her Dublin accent would no doubt be equally infuriated if she developed a mid-Atlantic accent.

You seem a bit worked up over the whole thing yourself, maybe have a cup of tea and a biscuit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

upinsmoke wrote: »
    Shane McGowen, Susan Boyle, Sia come to mind.

And Saoirse Ronan is hot as ****, some of her styles make her look less attractive.

She's not ugly, but she's far from hot. She has that sort of plain Jane look. You could walk round any shopping centre and see dozens of girls that look nicer.

Tommy Lee and Kid Rock look like they fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

How they both got Pam Anderson to lick their lolly is a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Tommy Lee and Kid Rock look like they fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

How they both got Pam Anderson to lick their lolly is a mystery.

It’s a bit like the time Debbie McGee was asked what first attracted her to millionaire Paul Daniels :pac:

Never thought Pamela was that attractive now myself tbh, far more attractive when she didn’t look like a Barbie doll, but that was exactly the reason for her success - precisely because she looked like a Barbie doll that’d suck a golf ball through a hose pipe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I still don't get why he took that cameo in Fight Club!!

That was more than a cameo. He was also pretty good in Ghost Wars (Netflix).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

She was cute when young. People age.

My assessment goes back several years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Angelina Jolie. I mean, what the hell was that all about. It was like some misprint that she was beautiful was made, escalated out of control, and suddenly everyone thought everyone else thought she was, and didnt want to stick out by stating, well, that she was just a little odd looking.

On Saoirse (thats Saoirse as in 'Shore-sha', 'Sheer-sha', and 'Sore-sheh'), she is a plain child. But its what helps her be a fine actress (can I use that term, or it too sexist ?) - her face is a sort of blank canvas that she manipulates very well to play her roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Ron Perlman.

• Advertisement

It’s a bit like the time Debbie McGee was asked what first attracted her to millionaire Paul Daniels :pac:

Never thought Pamela was that attractive now myself tbh, far more attractive when she didn’t look like a Barbie doll, but that was exactly the reason for her success - precisely because she looked like a Barbie doll that’d suck a golf ball through a hose pipe :D

I think she looks better now than she did 20 years ago, nicer boobs as well compared to those basketballs she had in years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

I think she looks better now than she did 20 years ago, nicer boobs as well compared to those basketballs she had in years ago.

When she started off in Home Improvement with Tim Allen she was proper gorgeous, only lasted a season or 2 before she went to Baywatch...and then her career..and boobs took off.

She's not ugly, but she's far from hot. She has that sort of plain Jane look. You could walk round any shopping centre and see dozens of girls that look nicer.
    Agreed but she's hardly an example of someone who made it in popular entertainment despite their looks. Had a Google of her there - she has very delicate features and cheekbones, I'd say she will look quite beautiful in a few years. Already she's growing from an unremarkable looking girl to a beauty.

A number of others mentioned here aren't such examples either. E.g. Tommy Lee was actually a good looking man, he just over did the scruffiness and seediness. Ozzy Osbourne isn't ugly either, neither is his wife. Not classically beautiful doesn't mean ugly. Ugly means ugly, and very few people are ugly.

Looks don't matter in certain genres anyway - e.g. rock and metal. And film will always need a few odd looking folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

.Not classically beautiful doesn't mean ugly. Ugly means ugly, and very few people are ugly.

Best post of the thread. Absolute fact.

Al Pachino, in Scent of a Woman
    ?!
    You seem a bit worked up over the whole thing yourself, maybe have a cup of tea and a biscuit.
    They're not wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Tommy Lee Jones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

It's a bit more interesting to me when they are a bit quirky looking. They're not models afterall. Although some models do go into acting to prolong their careers. I think the music industry is known for having the least attractive people of all the celebrity categories (besides sports stars but that's not related to this thread)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

She does? How?

But why don't they like her? There's nothing concrete to dislike about her. Outside of her acting, there's absolutely nothing remarkable about her. People should think for themselves instead of jumping on a bandwagon.

I didn't even know she expressed political views.

Her name probably comes up a lot because of interviewers going on about it.

I don't care about her accent. I never mentioned her accent. I believe her to be a false person. As far as I can see, she hasn't a sincere bone in her body.

I also have zero interest in her political opinions. I've only seen several of her interviews and she appear to me to be a really shallow and false person.

Why expressing a differing opinion to yours on Saoirse Ronan is "jumping a bandwagon" I'm not sure

Usually when people have a view, there's a reason for it though.

What's insincere about her? She doesn't seem any more or less sincere than any actor.

"Not a sincere bone in her body"? Jaysus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It would probably be harder to name good looking ones that are decent as musicians.

Advertisement