Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pop/film stars who don't make it in the looks department

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

lililanny wrote: »
    It's a bit more interesting to me when they are a bit quirky looking.

Tara Fitzgerald and Zoe Kazan spring to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Usually when people have a view, there's a reason for it though.

What's insincere about her? She doesn't seem any more or less sincere than any actor.

He’s made that point before but can never explain what’s insincere about saoirse. I think the dislike of Saoirse the Irish tall poppy syndrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don't care about her accent. I never mentioned her accent. I believe her to be a false person. As far as I can see, she hasn't a sincere bone in her body.

I also have zero interest in her political opinions. I've only seen several of her interviews and she appear to me to be a really shallow and false person.

Why expressing a differing opinion to yours on Saoirse Ronan is "jumping a bandwagon" I'm not sure

Why would that matter though? Are you ever going to cross paths with her? I just don’t really think about the real life personalities of the people I enjoy on-screen. I’m never going to meet them. Same with showrunners. From many reports I hear that David Chase and Alan Ball are pretentious, difficult gobshïtes. I don’t care. The Sopranos and Six Feet Under remain amongst my favourite shows. I never have to deal with these people in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

She's also extremely false. She stands out as false in the movie business which says something

I think she comes across as very down to earth which is refreshing for a Hollywood actor. I think she's a great ambassador for Ireland, she's an exciting young talent and seems genuinely lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Marilyn Manson. He's better with the makeup on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

?.. La Roux basis her whole career on how much like Annie Lennox she can copy.

Interesting fact: La Roux's ma is June Ackland from The Bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

jiltloop wrote: »
    I think she comes across as very down to earth which is refreshing for a Hollywood actor. I think she's a great ambassador for Ireland, she's an exciting young talent and seems genuinely lovely.

I beg to differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Some very talented people in this thread.

Now, I'm shooting myself in the foot here, but all the same - to hell with looks.

Van Morrison. Once described in a magazine as a "Fat balding middle aged belfast plumber" if I recall the quote correctly.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was never hired for his looks either I suspect. Loved his acting though. He played that slimy reporter character well in films like Red Dragon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

jiltloop wrote: »
    Same here. Of course I can only go by what seems the case but "Not a sincere bone in her body"? There is utterly zero evidence to support that nonsense assertion.

Also something a bit "off" about middle-aged people to be having a go at someone much younger unless they have an actual concrete reason to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've seen Saoirse Ronan mentioned a few times.

OK by Hollywood standards she's very ordinary looking but that can be a blessing for an actress. She'll have a very lengthy career as a character actress, the phone isn't going to just stop ringing when she turns 40.

I've seen Saoirse Ronan mentioned a few times.

OK by Hollywood standards she's very ordinary looking but that can be a blessing for an actress. She'll have a very lengthy career as a character actress, the phone isn't going to just stop ringing when she turns 40.
    Yeah cuz it really just stopped ringing when eye candy types like Michelle Pfeiffer, Charlize Theron and Halle Berry turned 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I think Shelley Duvall didn't come up yet, she never was a stunner to begin with, but oh gosh, I wish I'm not gonna age like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Drew Barrymore

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Yeah cuz it really just stopped ringing when eye candy types like Michelle Pfeiffer, Charlize Theron and Halle Berry turned 40.

To be fair they aren't nearly as popular now as when they were when they younger. Chalize Theron has probably stayed on the best but she is a much much stronger actress. I don't fully buy into it as talent plays a huge part but I think older good looking men certainly have more roles available than older good looking women.

Anyway, I find the lead in Grey's Anatomy average looking at best for a character who seems to have male models drooling over her in the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Stone Gossard

bobbyss wrote: »
    Drew Barrymore

Yeah..what a letdown she was

Yeah..what a letdown she was
    Yeah some people seem to be saying "I don't fancy them, therefore they got a bad deal in the looks department."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Read as far as the post where some flute added Julia Roberts. Why do people make potentially interesting threads ridiculous

Advertisement