Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I'm depressed, recommend a film to cheer me up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Watched Bad Santa 2 the other day, if it's your type of comedy then it will give you a few laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

carry on up the kyhber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

And another for the nostalgia factor, The Blues Brothers...had it on a loop on VHS, the tunes, the car.

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
    Barmaid: Oh, we got both kinds. We got Country AND Western!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Me, myself and Irene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

If you liked the actor Ricardo Darin in that you should check out The Secret in their Eyes, absolutely amazing film. I watched another film with him I'll try and think of the name..

Edit: Nueve Reinas or Nine Queens, really good film as well if you can find a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Sorry to hear about your bother Prof. Hope things aren't too bad.

But, I reckon that most of the films that will be recommended, you'll already have seen. ;)

But anyway...

Sideways
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    Ghost World
    The Straight Story
    24 Eyes
    Coraline
    The Breakfast Club

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Dear hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,957 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Only one needs mentioned.....the Big Lebowski.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Tony EH wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your bother Prof. Hope things aren't too bad.

But, I reckon that most of the films that will be recommended, you'll already have seen. ;)

But anyway...

Sideways
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    Ghost World
    The Straight Story
    24 Eyes
    Coraline
    The Breakfast Club

I re-watched Sideways a few days ago actually. Such a great film. Giamatti's character is such a trainwreck it's hard to watch him in places. Crime he was never nominated for it. I love the scene of him laughing after Thomas Haden Church arrives at the motel naked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, it's one of those pictures I end up gravitating back to. THC is such a monumental arsehole in it. A middle aged clown who still thinks he's in his 20's and his actions have no consequences.

Things end up looking ok for Giamatti's character at the end of the film though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels would be my pick that hasn't been mentioned yet. A fun classic with great performances from Steve Martin and Michael Caine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

I re-watched Sideways a few days ago actually. Such a great film. Giamatti's character is such a trainwreck it's hard to watch him in places. Crime he was never nominated for it. I love the scene of him laughing after Thomas Haden Church arrives at the motel naked.

"If anyone orders Merlot I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any F@CKING MERLOT".

Another feel good Giamatti film is "Win Win".

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

zapitastas wrote: »
    Shaoh ... puts life's day to day troubles into perspective

A nine hour documentary about the Holocaust. Are you having a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Wolf of Wall Street!! Loved it

Though ‘about time’ with domhnal gleeson is more what you’re after

Burn After Reading is another Coen brothers gem that I think is very under rated. A brilliant cast - John Malcovich, Frances McDormand, George Clooney and Brad Pitt. One of those screwball farce films that the Coens do so well.

Actually I've just remembered Oh Brother Where Are Thou. Hilarious script AND a fantastic soundtrack too. You can't go wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The correct answer to this thread is Paddington 2.

It is all that is good in this world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Dades wrote: »
    The correct answer to this thread is Paddington 2.

It is all that is good in this world.

Do I need to watch the first one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Do I need to watch the first one?

Not really no. It's one of those rare films where the sequel is better than the original.

Just a very friendly bear lives with an eccentric London family. All round great film. Not to mention that Brendan Gleeson and Hugh Grant are absolutely brilliant.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sleeper, a Woody Allen comedy

• Advertisement

The Quiet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 32,957 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels would be my pick that hasn't been mentioned yet. A fun classic with great performances from Steve Martin and Michael Caine.

A classic movie, that they are going to remake and ruin.

NIMAN wrote: »
    A classic movie, that they are going to remake and ruin.

A female version at that

Another great Steve Martin film is The Jerk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

BIG. Ultimate in feel goods.

Recently watched 'The Goonies' and it really holds up!

Also Cinema Paradiso.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cute movie. A young Cusack, Tim Robbins makes an appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Prospector1989

Cool Runnings

Planes, Trains and Automobiles (already mentioned I'm sure).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Clerks 2 never fails to make me laugh. Dogma aswell is another gem.

If you haven't seen it, the most recent National Lampoons vacation movie caught be completely by surprise and gave me genuine belly laughs.

For some thing darker, Rambo 4. Seeing multiple bastards getting shredded by heavy artillery is always good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Dave147 wrote: »
    If you liked the actor Ricardo Darin in that you should check out The Secret in their Eyes, absolutely amazing film. I watched another film with him I'll try and think of the name..

Edit: Nueve Reinas or Nine Queens, really good film as well if you can find a copy.

^^^
    +1 million, The Secret in Their Eyes (and not its crappy remake) is exceptional.

The Color Purple is a great film, too - it's very sad for most of it, but when the positives start they don't stop.

If you don't mind subtitled film, I'd recommend:

(Also, +1 million as it's been mentioned before) Amelie, I must've watched it more than 20 times, now.

Goodbye Lenin

and (in light of the recent passing of Bruno Ganz), the little gem that is Bread and Tulips (Pane e Tulipani).

Then:

Up
    The secret life of pets
    and
    anything Wallace and Gromit
    oh! and Creature Comforts, also by Aardman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭eldest200

Hunt for the Wilderpeople + The Way, Way Back is a really great feel food film with Steve Carell and Sam Rockwell, Dodgeball

Advertisement