Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weak core

• 17-02-2019 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

What exercises would he recommend for a weak core. I suppose easier exercises to start off with and build on that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Leg Raises, dead bugs, planks and all the variations, hollow holds, ab rollouts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

How would you know if you had a weak core, or that it was a limiting factor? I do a reasonable mix of the main compound exercises so hoping the core is coming along for the ride.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I do a reasonable mix of the main compound exercises so hoping the core is coming along for the ride.

It is and it isn't. Posterior muscles of your trunk will be worked on the likes of squats and deadlifts but there is a lot less activation of the front/anterior core muscles than people seem to think. So strengthening the front of your core will help you create more stability when bracing for compounds.

ETA: pallof press and Russian Twists also.

It is and it isn't. Posterior muscles of your trunk will be worked on the likes of squats and deadlifts but there is a lot less activation of the front/anterior core muscles than people seem to think. So strengthening the front of your core will help you create more stability when bracing for compounds.

There is one machine I started using, don’t know what its called but you lie face down in an incline and has handles resembling bike handles, you add plates to this part, it seems to have a decent core element to it in order to keep straight?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

There is one machine I started using, don’t know what its called but you lie face down in an incline and has handles resembling bike handles, you add plates to this part, it seems to have a decent core element to it in order to keep straight?

For doing rows?

Wouldn't have thought it would be particularly effective even if you can feel it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

mengele wrote: »
    What exercises would he recommend for a weak core. I suppose easier exercises to start off with and build on that.
    here you go and i explain the whats and whys - https://youtu.be/2Fr8TWtrnLI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

do Pilates

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How would you know if you had a weak core, or that it was a limiting factor? I do a reasonable mix of the main compound exercises so hoping the core is coming along for the ride.

There are some fairly simple tests you can do yourself. How long can you hold a plank? Can you do do plank variations for time?

A simple beginners guideline would be a minute for plank. But have someone check the form, making sure it's an actual plank and not an arse in the air plank.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

For doing rows?

Wouldn't have thought it would be particularly effective even if you can feel it.

whats the machine called? I assume its meant to be mainly a shoulder workout but it only has a "bicycle seat" type pad to lean against So I feel like I have to engage the core to keep balanced.
    There are some fairly simple tests you can do yourself. How long can you hold a plank? Can you do do plank variations for time?

A simple beginners guideline would be a minute for plank. But have someone check the form, making sure it's an actual plank and not an arse in the air plank.

cheers will do !

whats the machine called? I assume its meant to be mainly a shoulder workout but it only has a "bicycle seat" type pad to lean against So I feel like I have to engage the core to keep balanced.

Feeling it in your core is different to it being effective for your core.

But I'm not really sure what the machine is. Do you have a seat under you and one that your chest is against? Do you have footrests with a handle that's connected to a cable?

• Advertisement

Feeling it in your core is different to it being effective for your core.

But I'm not really sure what the machine is. Do you have a seat under you and one that your chest is against? Do you have footrests with a handle that's connected to a cable?

foot rests on the floor, chest leans on pad flat, weight added to the base of the "handle bars" that you pull up. kind of a bent over row I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I don't think I've seen that before, but it basically sounds like a machine for an incline row.

foot rests on the floor, chest leans on pad flat, weight added to the base of the "handle bars" that you pull up. kind of a bent over row I guess

Think this is what you're talking about:

V9D9O.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's called a Spider row I believe.
    Works your upper back, very little core I'd imagine if the trunk is supported.
    People might "feel" it the lower back, probably as likely to be from overextending their spine

Think this is what you're talking about:

V9D9O.jpg

that's the boyo

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

mengele wrote: »

Core is one of those catch all terms, it means everything to everyone therefor on it's own is absolutely meaningless.

When you say weak core what are the specific actions you are limited by? is it trunk/pelvic stabilization, rotation, anti rotation.

Advertisement