Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car remapped

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Turbohymac wrote: »
    ...Your main problem op is that you have a very heavy body being powered by a 100 odd bhp engine...

Those newish Passats aren't much heavier than my 1.6 TDCi 110 Focus, and that yoke is nippy enough and runs on farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

My old 2011 Skoda Superb has the 1.6tdi engine,. While it wouldn't full the skin of a rice pudding, I was getting mid 50s MPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Remapping is a waste of good money and simply causes more issues than worth
    Your main problem op is that you have a very heavy body being powered by a 100 odd bhp engine..lots of those sized cars should have had the 2litre engine as standard.. it won't ever be a sports car but once it's well serviced and driven normally it should hit mid 40s mpg. At work we had a 1.6tdi estate 2011 it was quite good overall.. put your money into a good service and diagnostic check to ensure there isn't any faults..and forget chipping.
    As for actual mpg of any car..forget the onboard computer. Simply fill it Absolutely to the max with diesel till you visually see it at top of filler cap then reset your tripmeter.. drive as you normally do till you're under a quarter of a tank..then refill to max again and see what's on the tripmeter. Definitely most accurate way..

In my own experience in the last 16 years i disagree remapping a waste of money. I do agree about the 1.6 being too small for the Passat. Vw now only sell the Passat with the 2L 150bhp engine in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The 1.6tdi will remap to circa 150bhp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You must have had a crap engine to begin with. I tuned a car from it’s standard 130bhp up to 220bhp from new. The engine was still perfect after 300k miles.

That's a serious increase. Can I ask what motor it was?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

9935452 wrote: »
    Think about emissions. To reduce NOX , the car is set up to burn more diesel to reduce emissions. Reverse this and you get more economy.

Could your remap get flagged at the NCT due to high emissions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

No, they don't currently use any obd tools in vehicle testing in Ireland.

And given that were speaking about turbo diesels, in the vehicle test, it's a smoke opacity test, not an emissions test, so they don't measure NOX etc, they should really, given the recent VW mess.

Not possible - there is no CO2 testing done in Ireland on petrols or diesels, and no gas analysis at all done on diesels, beyond a smoke opacity test.

No, they don't currently use any obd tools in vehicle testing in Ireland.

And given that were speaking about turbo diesels, in the vehicle test, it's a smoke opacity test, not an emissions test, so they don't measure NOX etc, they should really, given the recent VW mess.

I was told recently that the reason gas analysis isn't done on diesels is that it isn't economically viable - the nature of diesel exhaust means it's too hard on test equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

I had a 2008 Audi A6 2.0 TDI Auto, and got it remapped best thing ever! The Auto box before you could hear/feel each gear change. After the Remap the gear change was so smooth you could not hear or feel it. Because of the more power it made for a fun Drive the MPG dropped by about 10mpg. Yes it got worse but then my right foot got heavier.

I would re-map but not for the fuel economy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's a serious increase. Can I ask what motor it was?

I've read of Saab 93's with the 1.8t petrol engine getting similar returns, with the potential to go higher with additional modifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Micky 32 wrote: »
    In my own experience in the last 16 years i disagree remapping a waste of money. I do agree about the 1.6 being too small for the Passat. Vw now only sell the Passat with the 2L 150bhp engine in this country.

The 1.6Tdi Passat is now available to order again, but currently only with the DSG box. Manual can't currently pass the WLTP emissions tests and that's why it was pulled to begin with. Probably be back for sale later in the year.

I've a lot of experience with the 1.6Tdi in the Passat, and while it isn't quick, the later 6 speed models are a lot better than the earlier 5 speed models, and the one thing it definitely isn't is hard on fuel.

I regularly got them down to 3.9L/100km (72mpg) - that's various different cars with different mileage on them (from a few thousand to just over 200k), on my old commute of around 80% motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

w211 wrote: »
    To extend the d.i.*.k.

Still a crap diesel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Remapping is a waste of good money and simply causes more issues than worth

What issues does it cause ?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Everyone entitled to their opinions..I'm a mechanic and I'm well familiar with l vw engines..I wouldn't ever re map.. as per the earlier post get the real mpg of the car first.. and if it ain't close to 50mpg..it either needs repairs/good service or your driving is fairly extreme..and any vehicle can get thirsty if driven very hard..also lots of short journeys on cold engine wouldn't help.. let us know mpg op

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

If getting car remapped make sure you get it done by someone who knows what they are at .
    Got a car remapped , it drove brilliantly for about 2 weeks .
    Than disaster , it wouldn't start .
    Turns out it was remapped incorrectly .
    All the wiring loom was fried .
    Couldn't get it restarted . Car was sold to be broken up .
    AGAIN ..... Only give your car to be remapped by someone who has a good reputation for doing the job !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

As it goes for remapping, I have car remapped from 150hp to 192hp and its been great, I do around about an extra 30 miles per tank of fuel, it drives much better and hasn't affected reliability at all so far, and the car is on 160000 miles and is 15 years old. However this is a 2 litre turbo engine. I wouldn't do the same on a 1.6, not sure I'd trust putting extra stress on a modern smaller engine.

In regards to the MPG issues you have, I'd ask yourself where you're driving do you expect the economy? motorway yes, city no. If it is motorway driving then I'd investigate if the MPG was below low 40's personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    My old 2011 Skoda Superb has the 1.6tdi engine,. While it wouldn't full the skin of a rice pudding, I was getting mid 50s MPG.

I've the same mark 2 superb for two and a half years, great MPG out of the 1.6. However, as you say, the car is very under powered at 105bhp. I looked at changing it a few weeks ago, but I've decided to keep it for another 12-18 months. I'm considering getting it remapped, as the lack of power in 5th gear on the motorway is annoying, but I probably will lose some fuel economy as a result.
    Sure, because I bought the cars what is for my needs. Buy the right car and you do not need the d.i.*.k extension.
    To extend the d.i.*.k.

The scene in Borat where he asks for the dealer to fit a p*ssy magnet to the car comes to mind!

I'm sure over the last week, in any Opel garage, two brand new Insignias left the forecourt, with the same 1.6L engine, however one car was 110bhp, and the other was 136bhp. The only difference in the two cars is the engine map. I don't think anyone that opts for the 136bhp model is looking for a d.i.*.k extension!

If you for some reason need extra horse power, but can't afford to buy a new car, a remap may be a good option.
    Get her remapoed lad.
    While your at it get her decat and straight piped.
    She'll get more BOOO like that lad.

Savage lad.

No Shmoke, No Poke!
    Then again, some people do just want the d.i.*.k extension!
    magentis wrote: »
    Wouldn't your insurance company need to be informed too?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

How do Insurance companies generally react to remaps?

Do they increase the premium significantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

The insurance company does not need to know anything because they does not ask the car real power. They ask only the engine size. Yes they ask about modifications but that is that area where you can say what ever you want, except the maping

They do. Using a 191 Insignia as an example again, as the same displacement engines have different BHP, you select the one that matches your car.
    this is from 123.ie
    jfim5Uq.png
    This is something what are very hard to trace, if you are not the first car owner.
    True, if you are not the cars original owner.
    If the cars ECU is in tact, then they can check it.
    If the payout is large, like six figures, the insurance companies will look for any reason to reduce their payout. I was a witness in a case brought to the high court a few years ago where two insurance companies were fighting over liability (massive medical bills resulting from a crash). If for example, in that case, they could prove that the driver at fault had an undeclared engine modification on their car, that voids their insurance, and they don't pay out saving them hundreds of thousands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

You totally understand me wrong. I did not suggest the crime!!!
    The problem is the Irish car registration certificates does not have a engine power, at least not old car certificates (newer seen the new car ones).
    Almost all other EU countries have the car power on the certificates, even on 100 years old cars. They calculate the insurance by the car power, not by engine size like here. If you do not change the engine size, basically you do not lie to the insurance company. Yes they ask about the car modifications, what I do not comment. So this is politically correct story, no offense, terrorism or fraud.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The problem is the Irish car registration certificates does not have a engine power, at least not old car certificates (newer seen the new car ones).
    Almost all other EU countries have the car power on the certificates, even on 100 years old cars. They calculate the insurance by the car power, not by engine size like here. If you do not change the engine size, basically you do not lie to the insurance company. Yes they ask about the car modifications, what I do not comment. So this is politically correct story, no offense, terrorism or fraud.

"No comment" isn't good enough for insurance purposes. There's a duty of disclosure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It's P.2 on the certificate, and definitely is a factor when getting an insurance quote.

There was a time when insurance companies in Ireland didn't know the difference between a turbocharger and a hot-bulb out of a 1927 Lanz Bulldog, but that hasn't been the case for quite some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

jimgoose wrote: »
    There was a time when insurance companies in Ireland didn't know the difference between a turbocharger and a hot-bulb out of a 1927 Lanz Bulldog, but that hasn't been the case for quite some time.

You are correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Everyone entitled to their opinions..I'm a mechanic and I'm well familiar with l vw engines..I wouldn't ever re map..

That's rubbish, if the car is in good mechanical order to begin with a remap won't do any harm.
    Every VW based car I've owned has been remapped and I never had a problem.

As for the other poster who said the remap caused the wiring loom to melt, come on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Neilw.... I was giving my experience of getting car remapped .
    The car was only performing at 80% . Got advise to get it remapped .
    For 2 weeks it drove brilliantly . One morning it wouldn't start .
    Mechanic called and had to disconnect battery as it was in danger of going on fire.
    Towed it to his garage . Wiring loom all burnt .
    2 other mechanics tried to get it restarted and failed .
    The remapping was done incorrectly .
    Car was sold for breaking . That's my experience of remapping !!!
    Beleive me it cost me a fortune as I used car for work !!!
    Anyone getting remapping done need to know WHAT MAY HAPPEN !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

9935452 wrote: »
    What issues does it cause ?

In my 9-3 it caused a more even throttle response, and a slight increase in fuel efficiency around town. Went from 175 bhp to somewhere around 220. A much safer car to overtake in. Massive pull in 3rd and 4th gears. A much smoother drive all round.

I, of course, deeply regret the remap. Because of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I wouldn’t get a map for economy , don’t think it works anyway. More power doesn’t come free.
    I presume the reason they say you might get better economy is because you mightent have to rev as much but anyway.
    I had my A6 2.0tdi remapped to 200bhp for 4 years and it didn’t miss a beat.
    So much of a better drive.

Also have my current car saab 9-3 aero remapped to 250bhp with no issues and will be getting it remapped further to 280bhp soon.

I might be wary of remapping a 1.6 diesel as I presume they are being worked hard anyway especially in a car the size of the Passat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Neilw.... I was giving my experience of getting car remapped .
    The car was only performing at 80% . Got advise to get it remapped .
    For 2 weeks it drove brilliantly . One morning it wouldn't start .
    Mechanic called and had to disconnect battery as it was in danger of going on fire.
    Towed it to his garage . Wiring loom all burnt .
    2 other mechanics tried to get it restarted and failed .
    The remapping was done incorrectly .
    Car was sold for breaking . That's my experience of remapping !!!
    Beleive me it cost me a fortune as I used car for work !!!
    Anyone getting remapping done need to know WHAT MAY HAPPEN !!!

So there was an underlying problem to begin with.
    You were wrongly advised to get it remapped, the fault causing the car to only perform to 80% should have been fixed.

Even if the map that was put on the car was perfect it won't make up for an underlying problem.

You can't blame remapping on your experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement