Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car remapped

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

w211 wrote: »
    You totally understand me wrong. I did not suggest the crime!!!
    The problem is the Irish car registration certificates does not have a engine power, at least not old car certificates (newer seen the new car ones).

I have seen one or two for 06 cars (in 2019 that is old in my book). Position P.2 says: Engine Max Net Power. If only they had spelling of the unit names in order, it would be great... ;) (not kw, not KW. It is kW!!!!!)
    They calculate the insurance by the car power, not by engine size like here. If you do not change the engine size, basically you do not lie to the insurance company. Yes they ask about the car modifications, what I do not comment. So this is politically correct story, no offense, terrorism or fraud.

How do you know what they calculate it based on? In my experience the available power (or power to value ratio) is a vital component in the quote calculation - exp. going from Mini One to Mini Cooper S (both with 1.6 engine) - changes the quote dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

If remapping was so bad for cars, a lot of people would be out of business.
    There's usually tolerance on the standard map as it'll be done for emissions etc.
    A remap, 99% of the time won't get you better MPG, if power increases equaled better MPG we'd all have remapped cars.

And obviously, bring it to a reputable company, not Bob in his back garden with his 15 year old laptop and some random map he bought off someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

They do. Using a 191 Insignia as an example again, as the same displacement engines have different BHP, you select the one that matches your car.
    this is from 123.ie
    jfim5Uq.png

True, if you are not the cars original owner.
    If the cars ECU is in tact, then they can check it.
    If the payout is large, like six figures, the insurance companies will look for any reason to reduce their payout. I was a witness in a case brought to the high court a few years ago where two insurance companies were fighting over liability (massive medical bills resulting from a crash). If for example, in that case, they could prove that the driver at fault had an undeclared engine modification on their car, that voids their insurance, and they don't pay out saving them hundreds of thousands.

Really how would they prove that when a case takes 2 - 3 years to complete, are you suggesting that they dig out the ecu from the scrap yard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I've read of Saab 93's with the 1.8t petrol engine getting similar returns, with the potential to go higher with additional modifications.

That 9-3 1.8t was a case in point. It was a 2l car, same as the 2.0t (as apposed to the 2.0T), but was mapped to lower bhp. :rolleyes:

Remaps usually perform better on turbo Diesels though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That 9-3 1.8t was a case in point. It was a 2l car, same as the 2.0t (as apposed to the 2.0T), but was mapped to lower bhp. :rolleyes:

Remaps usually perform better on turbo Diesels though.

I thought it was a matter of naturally aspirated got limited increases? Regardless of petrol or diesel, an engine with a turbo, gets more from a remap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

I thought it was a matter of naturally aspirated got limited increases? Regardless of petrol or diesel, an engine with a turbo, gets more from a remap?
    The turbo engine life are short even without mapping and you like make it shorter? why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The turbo engine life are short even without mapping and you like make it shorter? why?

There was a d4d avensis for auction a week ago near Dublin with over 850,000 km on the clock.

Turbocharged engines can have very long lives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm just discussing what I understood and asked about it is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

There was a d4d avensis for auction a week ago near Dublin with over 850,000 km on the clock.

Turbocharged engines can have very long lives.
    If it was the fleet car, they driven that type of mileage within short time and it is not a big stress for the engine. This is why are possible to see such a high mileage cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The 9-3 1.8t was a turbo petrol and because it was already downgraded from normal was a no brainer to get remapped.

Yes, normally aspirated are hardly worth the expense. Turbo Diesel are excellent options, and petrol turbo can achieve good results.

• Advertisement

If it was the fleet car, they driven that type of mileage within short time and it is not a big stress for the engine. This is why are possible to see such a high mileage cars.

No it was a 12 or 13 year old ex taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

No it was a 12 or 13 year old ex taxi.

I know of one ex taxi Carina E with over a million on the clock. Still not a bother on it either bar the usual wear and tear stuff.

If they're looked after, turbo diesels are generally bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newmember2

Tazzimus wrote: »
    ...If they're looked after, some turbo diesels are generally bullet proof.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Saab offered remaps by hirsch at their dealers when they were in business.
    That were approved by them and didn’t void the warranty.

Also I think ford do it as well for their turbo charged cars.
    Monotune I think it is.

Not sure of any other manufacturers that offer or offered this.

Volvo used to as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭hooch-85

XsApollo wrote: »
    Saab offered remaps by hirsch at their dealers when they were in business.
    That were approved by them and didn’t void the warranty.

Also I think ford do it as well for their turbo charged cars.
    Monotune I think it is.

Not sure of any other manufacturers that offer or offered this.

Mountune is the Ford tuner. A lot of the time the only difference between different models of the same car is the map. Many new commercial vehicles like Caddy's come as a 80 bhp or up to 150 bhp, the only difference is the software. If a remap is carried out correctly by a reputable tuner, preferably on a dyno then most cars are well within their limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Mountune is the Ford tuner. A lot of the time the only difference between different models of the same car is the map. Many new commercial vehicles like Caddy's come as a 80 bhp or up to 150 bhp, the only difference is the software. If a remap is carried out correctly by a reputable tuner, preferably on a dyno then most cars are well within their limits.

Yea I agree, but a lot of vag one would have a different rated clutch or different injectors for the higher powered version of the same engine.
    But yea they are all pretty mappable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

XsApollo wrote: »
    Yea I agree, but a lot of vag one would have a different rated clutch or different injectors for the higher powered version of the same engine.
    But yea they are all pretty mappable

I know on the Focus that the two diesel engine outputs aren't just tuning. They have different turbos and injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Neilw wrote: »
    That's rubbish, if the car is in good mechanical order to begin with a remap won't do any harm.
    Every VW based car I've owned has been remapped and I never had a problem.

As for the other poster who said the remap caused the wiring loom to melt, come on :rolleyes:

Exactly, no way would a remapp melt a loom. It's all software based changes. Same as Neill i have remapped all my VW's since 2003 and put huge mileage on them and never any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

That's a serious increase. Can I ask what motor it was?

It was a 2003 Golf van PD130. I stuck on a hybrid turbo/remap and an uprated Sachs clutch and it made 220bhp. It was a little road rocket. The engine was still perfect at 300k miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Any of you lads who regularly get remaps ever bothered about the insurance implications? Do you ever tell the insurer? Any of you been in an accident where it mattered?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

ConcernedUnhappyKagu-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It will remain a mystery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement