Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What acronyms get on your wig?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Some of those are initialisms tho

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

UKIP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

DH, DD or DS - as in darling husband, daughter or son

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

When people post the word LUAS in capitals, thinking it is an acronym. It's not, it's just a regular Irish word - Luas.

Conversely, when mainstream news outlets (which should know better) refer to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration as "Nasa" and not "NASA". NASA refers to itself as NASA.

Edit: I've just checked the Guardian's style guide :(

"Use all capitals if an abbreviation is pronounced as the individual letters (an initialism): BBC, CEO, US, VAT, etc; if it is an acronym (pronounced as a word) spell out with initial capital, eg Nasa, Nato, Unicef, unless it can be considered to have entered the language as an everyday word, such as awol, laser and, more recently, asbo, pin number and sim card."

@Streetlight: your "Luas" assertion still stands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Well to be fair, D.U.P is understandable since they are a complete shower of cnuts.

Its spelled C U N T S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

LOL - does my ****ing head in

or worse again"looooooooooool."

I also detest YOLO. Carpe diem for idiots...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The standard naming convention for institutes of technology in Ireland is [Town] Institute of Technology. But that would have left the Tralee Institute of Technology going by the acronym TIT, so it's called the Institute of Technology Tralee instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The standard naming convention for institutes of technology in Ireland is [Town] Institute of Technology. But that would have left the Tralee Institute of Technology going by the acronym TIT, so it's called the Institute of Technology Tralee instead. :)

Same for Tallaght! Waterford did well though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Backronyms piss me off even more - they're invariably dumb and I struggle to understand how people fall for them. Things like fúck actually being an acronym for "fornication under consent of the King" or Adidas being an acronym for "all day I dream about sports".
    Even worse they're often reported and promulgated by "Interesting" "Facts" pages.

Just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Acronym: "an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCII, NASA).Compare with initialism."

Initialism: "an abbreviation consisting of initial letters pronounced separately (e.g. BBC).Compare with acronym."

• Advertisement
Advertisement