Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damages awarded

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Effects wrote: »

I never knew that was a thing. Shall we just stop breeding so?
    We could all join the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement: http://www.vhemt.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

McCrack wrote: »
    Oh stop being so bitter

Not bitter..

Just have a pain in me hoop seeing judges award large sums of money to greedy people with imaginary injuries.

They'd be welcome to the money if the rest of us weren't paying for it.

But we are.

Over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Rennaws wrote: »
    Not bitter..

Just have a pain in me hoop seeing judges award large sums of money to greedy people with imaginary injuries.

They'd be welcome to the money if the rest of us weren't paying for it.

But we are.

Over and over again.

Not awarded by the Judge as this was a settlement.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not commenting on the merits of the case, but this line struck me:

Am I picking it up wrong, or is he basically saying that "there's no good evidence of injury here, but we make orders to pay out for no evidence all the time and why should this be different?"

No he's saying that 'nervous shock' does not have to rise to the level of PTSD before an award can be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Maybe this is just me but the grandfather has an extremely punchable looking head on him.

• Advertisement

Maybe this is just me but the grandfather has an extremely punchable looking head on him.

That'd be at least €100K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

That'd be at least €100K

And the kid is 5 now. He'd be paid at least 50 large

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Not awarded by the Judge as this was a settlement.

Yes I know that's why I said "facilitated" in the original post.

It doesn't matter either way though.

The judges are awarding and approving these large sums for insignificant and non existent injuries and in some cases sending them away to get more as with the child with the fully healed broken leg last year.

https://www.injury-compensation.ie/news/claim-for-a-broken-leg-at-play-school/

Rennaws wrote: »
    Yes I know that's why I said "facilitated" in the original post.

It doesn't matter either way though.

The judges are awarding and approving these large sums for insignificant and non existent injuries and in some cases sending them away to get more as with the child with the fully healed broken leg last year.

https://www.injury-compensation.ie/news/claim-for-a-broken-leg-at-play-school/

Simply going off the Book of Quantum on that one.

It's up to these places to have a proper risk assessment in place and offer a proper defence. There's something that's not adding up in this one and it's alluded to in the article.

As for awards generally, we've no general data just 'news worthy' reports. Of those reports I will say I think there is a trend of awards which are too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

So everyone else that was there on the day she walked into the glass door and was all blood, are they entitled to sue also for their trauma ?

• Advertisement

Mrsmum wrote: »
    So everyone else that was there on the day she walked into the glass door and was all blood, are they entitled to sue also for their trauma ?

They could give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

They could give it a go.

I think we will reach a point where everyone entering a premises will have to sign a waiver if they want admittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RHJ wrote: »
    If it's true, the kid has to wait 13 years to access the money then if it makes you feel any better inflation is currently running at around 2% so by the time he gets the money it will be worth approximately 26% less than today.

you forgot to compound it

closer to 30%

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think we will reach a point where everyone entering a premises will have to sign a waiver if they want admittance.

There is also the issue that premises need to protect themselves by having a proper risk assessment etc. putting themselves in a proper position to fight claims. There's something not quite right in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭TheDavester

2nd time in recent times a Rice has screwed the Irish People

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is also the issue that premises need to protect themselves by having a proper risk assessment etc. putting themselves in a proper position to fight claims. There's something not quite right in this case.

Glass doors, marked or unmarked, do leave people open to claims every time. The woman seemed to have a case, the child really is a huge stretch but negative PR around it for an entity would have cost way more than they settled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is there no end to this madness?

Child catches finger in classroom door, a door probably similar to any door in a home.

€55.000.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/55-000-for-girl-unable-to-grow-long-nails-after-accident-1.3801672?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always think of all the little bumps and scraps and things I've seen over the years. If I wanted I could be in the money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dav010 wrote: »
    Is there no end to this madness?

Child catches finger in classroom door, a door probably similar to any door in a home.

€55.000.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/55-000-for-girl-unable-to-grow-long-nails-after-accident-1.3801672?mode=amp

Come on now, her handwriting is affected...

Advertisement