Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regency Hotel shooting trial collapses following Detective Superintendent's suicide

• 20-02-2019 4:36pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1 fonesmasher1

How could this happen? DSi Colm Fox was the lead investigator when he shot himself in Ballymun station. Surely his successor could try and pick up the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Investigators made a cockup of the identification process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Allinall

I would have more faith in the DPP and their Counsel to make an informed decision to withdraw from the case, over some ransomer with their first post on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Welcome to Boards.ie fonesmasher1, great first post.

I don't know why this happened.
    All I do know is, that there is an increasing number of Garda committing suicide.

I'd speculate that the Garda are undermanned and that there wasn't anyone available, with the experience and knowledge that this person had, to pick up where he left off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Allinall wrote: »
    I would have more faith in the DPP and their Counsel to make an informed decision to withdraw from the case, over some ransomer with their first post on Boards.ie.

This is a monumental cock up. Have faith all you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If the guard committed suicide that’s a terrible tragedy.

I would however ask how bad are the systems that the next appointment can’t pick up the case, perhaps ask for a delay and still follow a conviction.

My fear here is some mistakes were made along the way and evidence gathered is useless.

It’s very hard to have faith in anjistice system that can’t bring high profile cases to conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They made a basic error in the ID process.

They can't use the two witnesses who were willing to ID Hutch as they showed them the video footage at the same time in the same room.

It's highly embarrassing for all involved.

They can't use the two witnesses who were willing to ID Hutch as they showed them the video footage at the same time in the same room.

That seems an awful error, and we’re to beleive this was unintentional?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

How could this happen? DSi Colm Fox was the lead investigator when he shot himself in Ballymun station. Surely his successor could try and pick up the case?

Nobody finds it suspicious that the lead investigator suicides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Criminal informer

Two detectives not witnesses! Even the reporters are saying there's a lot more to come out, to say he got aquitted just because of ID is naive. The longer gardai stay quite the more rumours will follow as to why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Allinall wrote: »

This is a discussion forum so what was the point in the post?

• Advertisement

Does this stop the DPP getting their house in order and bringing another case ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

You would imagine this was an open goal. High profile assassination and people filmed entering and leaving the scene and the whole incident witnessed by a substantial amount of people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Gardai, Army, Housing, Health, Justice System, Politics are all a joke in this country.

My mam has pestered me for 8 months now that my own son is born, to get out of here quick. I fear she may be right more and more every day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Where did you get this from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Does this mean flat cap could also have walked if he was still alive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Emotional call for Justice. not a hint of irony

https://twitter.com/mickthehack/status/1098174778693832704

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gardai, Army, Housing, Health, Justice System, Politics are all a joke in this country.

My mam has pestered me for 8 months now that my own son is born, to get out of here quick. I fear she may be right more and more every day

Sure head to the UK. They seem to know what they're at over there..........

Sure head to the UK. They seem to know what they're at over there..........

That's the choice we should all have.
    Accept the cosy corruption of the establishment or if you don't want to then fcuk off out of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ Sydney Tinkling Joker

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Nobody finds it suspicious that the lead investigator suicides?

Shot himself twice in the head

That's the choice we should all have.
    Accept the cosy corruption of the establishment or if you don't want to then fcuk off out of the country.

It would be foolish to beleive Ireland is the only country with corruption problems. I think it’s a bit written into Irish DNA to emigrate

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    It would be foolish to beleive Ireland is the only country with corruption problems.

Stunning insight. You're not foolish anyway.

_Brian wrote: »
    It would be foolish to beleive Ireland is the only country with corruption problems. I think it’s a bit written into Irish DNA to emigrate

We are ranked 18th on the world corruption index, we have very low levels.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm going to put on my tinfoil hat, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Emotional call for Justice. not a hint of irony

https://twitter.com/mickthehack/status/1098174778693832704

That wan shouting out all over the place about the Garda as if his family won’t see it, classy woman

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Faraway hills are green.

You're right, this country is a right hell hole. Afghanistan looks good right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Alright. We’re better than Afghanistan but what happened here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We are ranked 18th on the world corruption index, we have very low levels.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

Or we are very good at it and nobody suspects how corrupt we are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Why are gsoc involved in a suicide? I'm assuming because a gun involved, but something smells off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The grass is not greener. Ireland is one of the safest and best countties in the world to live.

Don't believe me? Fine, go away and find out for yourself.

As a matter of interest, where else in the world has your mother lived?

• Advertisement

The grass is not greener. Ireland is one of the safest and best countties in the world to live.

Don't believe me? Fine, go away and find out for yourself.

As a matter of interest, where else in the world has your mother lived?

Yep we have a great society here, every opportunity available to you and a good social net

Advertisement