Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Regency Hotel shooting trial collapses following Detective Superintendent's suicide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Relevant newspaper article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/almost-500-garda%C3%AD-did-not-recognise-patrick-hutch-in-photo-trial-hears-1.3360170
    The court has previously heard that two detectives, Fergal O’Flaherty and Jonathan Brady, went to Ballymun garda station two days after the shooting, looked at the photo, and “immediately recognised” the man dressed as a woman as Patrick Hutch.
    The detectives have told the court that they made their identifications separately.

And
    Under cross-examination, Constable Caroline Hill told Mr O’Higgins that she is an identification officer and she described how members of the PSNI conduct identification of suspects from photos and video.
    She said that photos are shown to individuals and that no group showings should be made “so that nobody will influence anyone else”.
    She said that a viewer must not speak with anyone during the process so that it is an independent viewing.

Given that electronic devices were examined as part of this, my suspicion is that Fox or another member of the force may have texted, emailed or otherwise contacted the two Gardaí who did identify Hutch in the photo, and say "you're coming in to look at this photo today, we know it's this guy Hutch but we can't prove it, could ye just say you recognise him so we can get our warrants? Cheers"

That would tie in with all the various goings on and the timeline of the case. The photo was deemed admissible in court some time ago, but this was before suicide of, and the subsequent GSOC investigation into the death of, Supt. Fox. The photo was deemed admissible, and his death occurred exactly one week later. That to me points to someone overcome with guilt, perhaps in the knowledge that the photo was going to be used in a prosecution and that it absolutely shouldn't have been given the circumstances in which it was deemed to be a photograph of Hutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Relevant newspaper article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/almost-500-garda%C3%AD-did-not-recognise-patrick-hutch-in-photo-trial-hears-1.3360170

And

Given that electronic devices were examined as part of this, my suspicion is that Fox or another member of the force may have texted, emailed or otherwise contacted the two Gardaí who did identify Hutch in the photo, and say "you're coming in to look at this photo today, we know it's this guy Hutch but we can't prove it, could ye just say you recognise him so we can get our warrants? Cheers"

That would tie in with all the various goings on and the timeline of the case. The photo was deemed admissible in court some time ago, but this was before suicide of, and the subsequent GSOC investigation into the death of, Supt. Fox. The photo was deemed admissible, and his death occurred exactly one week later. That to me points to someone overcome with guilt, perhaps in the knowledge that the photo was going to be used in a prosecution and that it absolutely shouldn't have been given the circumstances in which it was deemed to be a photograph of Hutch.

You are running away with yourself on pure speculation here. Its not even certain that a warrant was just given on these photos, and nor is it certain that two cops can't legally recognise somebody from a photo -- its not a lineup. Nor is it certain that the judges would have thrown this out; in fact they didn't, the state said they couldn't continue without the head cop which is totally suspicious.

Probably theres a lot more to it, and in fact someone mentioned a more plausible story earlier on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

You are running away with yourself on pure speculation here. Its not even certain that a warrant was just given on these photos, and nor is it certain that two cops can't legally recognise somebody from a photo -- its not a lineup. Nor is it certain that the judges would have thrown this out; in fact they didn't, the state said they couldn't continue without the head cop which is totally suspicious.

Probably theres a lot more to it, and in fact someone mentioned a more plausible story earlier on.

You're right that this is just one theory. And there is the other one that you allude to.
    But in this one if it is true it is probably not about the lineup stuff you mention. It is probably more that garda statements would not be consistent with information in emails/laptops/phones. One contradiction or falsehood would fatally taint that credibility or admissibility. The inconsistency would more likely be tidying up than a fabrication or stitch up. Tidying up for the purposes of legal niceties. Not be the first cops/witnesses/solicitors to do this. In the modern age electronic devices if involved will catch this out.

You're right that this is just one theory. And there is the other one that you allude to.
    But in this one if it is true it is probably not about the lineup stuff you mention. It is probably more that garda statements would not be consistent with information in emails/laptops/phones. One contradiction or falsehood would fatally taint that credibility or admissibility. The inconsistency would more likely be tidying up than a fabrication or stitch up. Tidying up for the purposes of legal niceties. Not be the first cops/witnesses/solicitors to do this. In the modern age electronic devices if involved will catch this out.

We are not even clear whether this recognition was the only reason a warrant was issued.

We are not even clear whether this recognition was the only reason a warrant was issued.

If it wasn't, then why would the defence hone in on it and mount such a massive case against it in court? The entire validity of the prosecution seemed to hinge upon that photo in all the media reporting before Colm Fox's death.

• Advertisement

What warrant?

What warrant?

The search warrant you and harrickpatrick keep claiming is invalid.

A search warrant is only an example - anything which was granted on the basis of that photo identification would be invalid if it was later found that there was collusion among the Gardaí to falsify that evidence.

Search warrants, arrest warrants, permission for surveillance, permission to hold him longer than usually allowed so they could continue questioning him - anything at all gained specifically from "two different people are sure it's him in the photo" would become invalid if that statement turned out to be untrue.

I don't know anything about a search warrant. If you look back at my post I was talking about the power of arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Alright. We’re better than Afghanistan but what happened here?

Garda were under pressure to get those responsible. Knew who it was took shortcuts that made the case collapse

• Advertisement

Garda were under pressure to get those responsible. Knew who it was took shortcuts that made the case collapse

That's my thinking - in Ireland, with our 1.5 degrees of separation, how often do you hear people saying something like "he was never caught, but everyone around here just knows it was him"? I suspect it was a case like that. They "knew" it was him and decided to build a case on compromised or illegally obtained evidence in the assumption that the defence wouldn't figure out what happened.

They nearly got away with it in fairness - the defence had lost its argument over the photographs literally days before Supt. Fox shot himself. That's why I reckon his suicide was a guilt thing - he realised that a potentially innocent man was going to go to jail because of this dodgy evidence and couldn't live with his involvement in fabricating it.

Of course it's speculation, but based on everything that's in the public domain is there any theory which fits all of the jigsaw pieces better? We're missing a lot of the picture, but what we do have seems, at least to me, to inevitably point in this general direction.

All pure speculation. The power of arrest? Surely given the known feud between these two groups warrants, if any, the right to arrest needs would be granted fairly quickly. The idea that the entire case falls down on that is nonsense, and isn't in fact proven at all. We have literally no proof that there was any problem with the warrants, or the arrest or anything else.
    They nearly got away with it in fairness - the defence had lost its argument over the photographs literally days before Supt. Fox shot himself. That's why I reckon his suicide was a guilt thing - he realised that a potentially innocent man was going to go to jail because of this dodgy evidence and couldn't live with his involvement in fabricating it.

Of course it's speculation, but based on everything that's in the public domain is there any theory which fits all of the jigsaw pieces better? We're missing a lot of the picture, but what we do have seems, at least to me, to inevitably point in this general direction.

If it wasn't for those pesky kids.

Look a suicide is probably not going to happen just because some minor evidence gathering snafus (which nobody has yet proven is in fact), or guilt about the Hutches.

The emails were probably a lot more incriminating.

All pure speculation. The power of arrest? Surely given the known feud between these two groups warrants, if any, the right to arrest needs would be granted fairly quickly. The idea that the entire case falls down on that is nonsense, and isn't in fact proven at all. We have literally no proof that there was any problem with the warrants, or the arrest or anything else.

If it wasn't for those pesky kids.

Look a suicide is probably not going to happen just because some minor evidence gathering snafus (which nobody has yet proven is in fact), or guilt about the Hutches.

The emails were probably a lot more incriminating.

Of course, you could be right. My theory is solely based on piecing together the timeline of the objections raised by the defence in court, the outcome of those objections, and the fact that Mr. Fox shot himself, leaving prosecution-damaging notes, literally one week after that part of the trial. It could be unrelated, but Occam's Razor would suggest a link between the three occurrences - the defense objecting unsuccessfully to the photo ID process, Fox's suicide, and his suicide notes putting the trial on indefinite hold. All occurring within a few short weeks of eachother.

As I say, they may be unrelated or they may not. We have no way of knowing. I'm simply invoking Occam's Razor, in other words, the most obvious explanation is the one most likely to be correct. In my mind, it's more far fetched to suggest that Fox's suicide and notes thereof were unrelated to the wrangling over the photos in court, than to suggest that they were directly linked to one another, given the timeframe and subsequent events.

EDIT: One man's "minor evidence gathering snafu" could have been another man's "intentional conspiracy to break the law in relation to an investigation". We have no idea whether it was accidental, intentional, or whether there was any problem with it at all. Again, all we can do is guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

In fairness, can you think of a case in which a breaking of rules like this occurred and the case was allowed to use tainted evidence anyway?

Always thought it was strange that a 10 day warrant was granted, and they did not acquire evidence in that timeframe .... The initial investigative work was external, and handed to Gardai to finish the case

All pure speculation. The power of arrest? Surely given the known feud between these two groups warrants, if any, the right to arrest needs would be granted fairly quickly.

The not knowing the first thing about the law doesn't partner well with your dismissive know it all attitude.

Although technically you can get a warrant to arrest a person this is rarely how people are arrested. Indeed if you were arrested under warrant then you could not be detained for interrogation under the provisions of Section 50, Criminal Justice Act, 2007, as P Hutch was after his arrest.

People are arrested by virtue of powers conferred by individual statutes.
    Criminal Law Act, 1997. Section 4(3) Where a member of the Garda Síochána, with reasonable cause, suspects that an arrestable offence has been committed, he or she may arrest without warrant anyone whom the member, with reasonable cause, suspects to be guilty of the offence.

You talk about arresting somebody because of "known feud" and it would be easy. It would be illegal. The person would be freed after a Habeas Corpus application to the High Court and would proceed to take a damages action against the state for upwards of a quarter of a million euro. Reasonable Cause to Suspect is required - and the front page of a red top with Feud headlines doesn't count

https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/187941/moment-armed-gardai-rammed-regency-hotel-shooting-suspects-car-and-arrest-two-men-linked-to-gerry-hutch-gang/

The not knowing the first thing about the law doesn't partner well with your dismissive know it all attitude.

Lol. There are two know it all posters on this thread and neither are me.
    Although technically you can get a warrant to arrest a person this is rarely how people are arrested. Indeed if you were arrested under warrant then you could not be detained for interrogation under the provisions of Section 50, Criminal Justice Act, 2007, as P Hutch was after his arrest.

People are arrested by virtue of powers conferred by individual statutes.

Which is why I said “if any”

You talk about arresting somebody because of "known feud" and it would be easy. It would be illegal. The person would be freed after a Habeas Corpus application to the High Court and would proceed to take a damages action against the state for upwards of a quarter of a million euro. Reasonable Cause to Suspect is required - and the front page of a red top with Feud headlines doesn't count

https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/187941/moment-armed-gardai-rammed-regency-hotel-shooting-suspects-car-and-arrest-two-men-linked-to-gerry-hutch-gang/

I’m not in the law. Although I have been arrested because of a mistaken identity - should perhaps have sued. But neither I suspect are you. And it was you who claimed the arrest was suspect.

Ok too many nerd speculators on this thread with their own pet theories based on very little evidence. Seems fairly pointless to continue.

Lol. There are two know it all posters on this thread and neither are me.

No Franz you, and you alone, were posting in your usual abrasive, arrogant style.
    I set out legal facts. You have found yourself unable to debate them. And so want to exit now[/QUOTE]

I’m not in the law. But neither I suspect are you.

What i'm in is none of your business. I have quoted law. Sourced and referenced.
    nerd speculators [
    ad hominem, spoiling for a fight as usual.
    very little evidence. Seems fairly pointless to continue.

You enter and take part in a discussion that is intrinsically speculative and then complain about speculation? Were you under the impression that somebody here had the court documents sitting beside their laptop? Do you want a live stream from Pattsy's motorbike going over the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

So will this all just go away I wonder? Outcomes like this are a good barometer for how healthy and honest journalism is in Ireland, will any journalist put their head above the parapet and ask the hard questions here, will they put presure on Drew Harris for answers?

I was dissapointed to read the papers today to find an awful lot of the focus was on either The Byrnes or How Hutch left the courts, the cctv footage etc they are easy topics, but nobody was really daring to question the Guards/The State on what happened here in the background to bring the trial to collapse.

It’s a difficult dilemna for the journalists particularly the ones that cover gangland as a lot of their info is fed to them by the police so what do they do when it’s the guards themselves that are under the microscope, it would take an incredibly brave one to step up as they are burning their relationships but at the end of the day didn’t they go to journalist school to get to the truth no matter the barriers, I’m doubtful though, I think a lot of the journos are too close to the police for the truth to come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Faraway hills are green.

You're right, this country is a right hell hole. Afghanistan looks good right now.

Hitting the high teens in Damascus later this week. Worth a punt for that reason alone.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    I find this baffling.

Law leaves me wondering at times. A man has his photo taken running from a hotel where a man was shot dead. And he's holding a gun.

But sure, away you go, you're grand.

Doesn't mean he was the man who shot him. Not going to get a murder conviction on that basis.
    Calltocall wrote: »
    It’s a difficult dilemna for the journalists particularly the ones that cover gangland as a lot of their info is fed to them by the police.

Is it? Was told it comes from people who have connections in the underworld but are not in too deep.

Berserker wrote: »
    Doesn't mean he was the man who shot him. Not going to get a murder conviction on that basis.

That side of it wouldn't have saved him. All involved are treated as Principals.
    It's like a gettaway driver sitting in a car outside a bank would be charged with armed robbery if he was caught.
    Criminal Law Act, 1997.
    7.—(1) Any person who aids, abets, counsels or procures the commission of an indictable offence shall be liable to be indicted, tried and punished as a principal offender.

• Advertisement

Berserker wrote: »
    Hitting the high teens in Damascus later this week. Worth a punt for that reason alone.

Is it? Was told it comes from people who have connections in the underworld but are not in too deep.

They would definitely have their sources, I remember a few years back I was in the city at lunchtime in a bar close to courts, there was Mr Williams eating lunch with a large number of uniformed guards,doesn’t take a genius to know that they would be very familiar with each other. You can also see that in the narrative of their articles. Look at The book The Cartel, an awful lot of that info would have come from the authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭MrFresh

Even if all the issues with evidence are true and their was a fatal mistake in the investigation, why do people think this would push a person with his experience and rank to suicide? So he wouldn't have to answer questions? It wouldn't be the first case, murder case even, to collapse because of a technicality and it certainly won't be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

The law is an ass full of holes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

It's going to be discussed on primetime tonight. Rte1. Programme is on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

They cut it short at the end. What was that about ?

Watched it, I refer back to my last post,the journos are very close to the guards, barry cummins knew the lead detective so you could see he was reluctant to push what went on behind the scenes and kind of glossed over it,it’s hard to see the truth coming out on this.

Calltocall wrote: »
    So will this all just go away I wonder? Outcomes like this are a good barometer for how healthy and honest journalism is in Ireland, will any journalist put their head above the parapet and ask the hard questions here, will they put presure on Drew Harris for answers?

I was dissapointed to read the papers today to find an awful lot of the focus was on either The Byrnes or How Hutch left the courts, the cctv footage etc they are easy topics, but nobody was really daring to question the Guards/The State on what happened here in the background to bring the trial to collapse.

It’s a difficult dilemna for the journalists particularly the ones that cover gangland as a lot of their info is fed to them by the police so what do they do when it’s the guards themselves that are under the microscope, it would take an incredibly brave one to step up as they are burning their relationships but at the end of the day didn’t they go to journalist school to get to the truth no matter the barriers, I’m doubtful though, I think a lot of the journos are too close to the police for the truth to come out.

GSOC have launched an investigation. It seems to have been the outcome of their previous investigation into Fox's death and examination of his electronics which ultimately led to the collapse of the case, so one would assume they'll at least come close to unravelling what went on even if the Gardaí stonewall them as usual.

The real question is, with GSOC doing one independent investigation and Flanagan asking Drew Harris to do an internal one (a sure sign in my view that there's a lot more to this story), will the reports be made public, or will they be handed over privately to the Oireachtas / the minister. In previous high profile cases such as the Kieran Boylan case and the Ian Bailey case, the Ombudsman has generally supplied the minister and the Oireachtas with a copy of the report several days prior to publishing it for the general public and the media - so one would expect the same to happen in this case. If it doesn't, that'll raise massive questions about what it is that's being held back from the public.

I could potentially see the government demanding the report be suppressed on the grounds of not upsetting Supt Fox's grieving family, but in my view that in itself would be evidence of a cover up, as they've never made such demands with previous GSOC investigations involving deceased individuals.

Seeing as this was all investigated last year, I'm assuming this investigation won't take very long as it's essentially re-opening a case which has already been thoroughly investigated to the satisfaction of the court and the lawyers for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,881 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MrFresh wrote: »
    Even if all the issues with evidence are true and their was a fatal mistake in the investigation, why do people think this would push a person with his experience and rank to suicide? So he wouldn't have to answer questions? It wouldn't be the first case, murder case even, to collapse because of a technicality and it certainly won't be the last.

Plus, what could be so compromising in the notes and USB stick.
    If there was a deliberate attempt to frame a suspect you would hardly put it down in your notes in an incriminating manner and leave a trail of evidence to it.
    If the notes incriminated him but he only realised it after the fact it would be a huge mistake but as you say, not the first and note the last.

There's no suggestion the Ak47 was planted on Hutch, so, maybe I've seen too much TV, but would a cop be too bothered about a gang member's innocence on exact charges with stone wall evidence of serious criminality like that?

He would have to have really taken it to heart re: that mistake causing the collapse of one of the biggest trials in the history of the state.

Unless there's something much murkier going on...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

odyssey06 wrote: »
    MrFresh wrote: »

Plus, what could be so compromising in the notes and USB stick.
    If there was a deliberate attempt to frame a suspect you would hardly put it down in your notes in an incriminating manner and leave a trail of evidence to it.
    If the notes incriminated him but he only realised it after the fact it would be a huge mistake but as you say, not the first and note the last.

I got the impression that the notes were effectively suicide notes, found when he killed himself, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,881 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I got the impression that the notes were effectively suicide notes, found when he killed himself, no?

Ah ok, I thought it was notes from the investigation that possibly had incriminating evidence.

So in theory there wasn't anything directly incriminating until he possibly incriminated himself with the notes - even less reason to "fall on one's sword" so to speak.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement