Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommee Tippee perfect prep machine woes

• 20-02-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone had issues with theirs. I've just changed the filter and put it through the appropriate cleaning process.
    After resetting filter, pressed on button to do the two 4oz amounts that you discard.
    When I turned it on to do this, I could hear the machine trying to dispense water, but no water came out.
    Machine won't come on now. It looks goosed. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭OctoberMammy

Just wondering if anyone had issues with theirs. I've just changed the filter and put it through the appropriate cleaning process.
    After resetting filter, pressed on button to do the two 4oz amounts that you discard.
    When I turned it on to do this, I could hear the machine trying to dispense water, but no water came out.
    Machine won't come on now. It looks goosed. Thanks

Don't think it's the same issue you're talking about, but I have trouble with mine the odd time when you press the button and it beeps but nothing comes out? What usually works is unplugging, completely emptying the well and refilling it. It's a pain to wait for it to fill up again but usually does the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

They're unsafe, get rid. Awful yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

lazygal wrote: »

Is that true if they are properly cleaned ?

Yes. They're not recommended by the food safety authority because they can't guarantee to have the water at the right temperature to kill bacteria in formula. You should only make up formula as stated on the tin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

[mod]

Hi Lazygal,

The basis of this forum is to share experience. If you've anything to add such as this, please advise why you feel that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Formula isn’t sterile, and is supposed to be made with an ounce of freshly cooled, boiled water for every ounce of formula, to kill bacteria in the powder. The perfect prep uses a smaller amount of boiling water to make the formula, and tops it up with cold water, therefore not making the milk according to the directions on the pack, and not guaranteeing that any bacteria in the powder is killed.
    This is what I have read, but have no personal experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

jlm29 wrote: »
    Formula isn’t sterile, and is supposed to be made with an ounce of freshly cooled, boiled water for every ounce of formula, to kill bacteria in the powder. The perfect prep uses a smaller amount of boiling water to make the formula, and tops it up with cold water, therefore not making the milk according to the directions on the pack, and not guaranteeing that any bacteria in the powder is killed.
    This is what I have read, but have no personal experience!

How does cool water (previously boiled) kill bacteria in the powder?
    I always thought the bacteria is not a problem for the first hour, that's when you feed it to the baby.
    We've been using the perfect prep for 3 months now and our baby has had no gastro issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ah, they're really handy though. There's plenty of people out there doing all sorts that are not according to instructions, and s far as I know there's been no real impact reported. Safety instructions by their nature are going to err massively on the side of caution.
    My wife worked with a guy who just made bottles cold from the start so baby would never expect anything else, for then it just saved a lot of hassle.
    Not sure I'd do that, but I'll definitely accept using the perfect prep. If entirely unsafe I'm sure it would have been taken off the market by now.

I have also read on here somewhere that if you call the above line on side of formula they give much more common sense advice regarding the requirements. Boiled and Cole waste is to remove stuff from the water, as long s your water source is decent I wouldn't worry too much about that either too be honest.

Anyway, on topic.
    Take apart and turn off and on as suggested.
    Also Google for hard resett instructions, pretty sure I needed to resort to this at some point.
    I have had an issue on the past similar where I was forced to do a clean and to reset the filter again (buttons on side of machine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Tbh the current guidelines are totally impractical. Make up each bottle as you go. Boil kettle. Let it cool slightly for 30 mins. Then let the bottle cool. When baby is on 8-9 bottles a day that’s totally insane.

We’ve used perfect on both with no issues. Now on nutramigen with this lad which funnily enough has to be made with room temp water despite the bacteria worry-go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Tbh the current guidelines are totally impractical. Make up each bottle as you go. Boil kettle. Let it cool slightly for 30 mins. Then let the bottle cool. When baby is on 8-9 bottles a day that’s totally insane.

Did they not change the guidelines? I remember when my sister had her first in 2009, they were advised by the hospital to make each bottle as needed as you've outlined above.

When we had our first in 2014, we were told to boil the water, cool for 30 mins and then make up the bottles for the whole day & once they were cooled immediately & stored in the back of the fridge, they were good for 24 hours.

• Advertisement

How does cool water (previously boiled) kill bacteria in the powder?
    I always thought the bacteria is not a problem for the first hour, that's when you feed it to the baby.
    We've been using the perfect prep for 3 months now and our baby has had no gastro issues.

It’s supposed to be used to make up the bottles 30min after the kettle boils, so it’s still at a certain temp. Obviously if you leave it cool completely it’s of no benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Did they not change the guidelines? I remember when my sister had her first in 2009, they were advised by the hospital to make each bottle as needed as you've outlined above.

When we had our first in 2014, we were told to boil the water, cool for 30 mins and then make up the bottles for the whole day & once they were cooled immediately & stored in the back of the fridge, they were good for 24 hours.

Still says it’s better not to make them in advance as per the HSE guidelines and my PHN too

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publications/children/how-to-prepare-your-baby's-bottle-feed.pdf

And you know there are probably overtired first time mums in particular trying to do the best they can. You’d be hours a day doing newborns bottles up each time with a kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Still says it’s better not to make them in advance as per the HSE guidelines and my PHN too

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publications/children/how-to-prepare-your-baby's-bottle-feed.pdf

And you know there are probably overtired first time mums in particular trying to do the best they can. You’d be hours a day doing newborns bottles up each time with a kettle

You are right - everyone is doing their best. And imo, no one has time for waiting for a kettle to cool for 30 minutes when it's 3am in the morning & baby is screaming the house down looking for a feed!

[mod]

Hi Lazygal,

The basis of this forum is to share experience. If you've anything to add such as this, please advise why you feel that way.

It is not a feeling, its a fact. People should not be using them.
    https://www.fsai.ie/faq/bottle_feeding_safely.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

[mod]

I'm not arguing that.

You just provided a throw away comment without adding any form of insight to it. If you've something to add, you need to offer some information on it. That's the main purpose for the entire Parenting forum/sub forums. For us to share experiences and informed opinions. The post I highlighted did neither and it's purpose was solely to discard the topic, without any indication as to why you felt that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

jlm29 wrote: »
    It’s supposed to be used to make up the bottles 30min after the kettle boils, so it’s still at a certain temp. Obviously if you leave it cool completely it’s of no benefit

No, that just ensures the water is clean of bacteria. Nothing to do with the "bad" bacteria that's in the powder than someone here claimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

No, that just ensures the water is clean of bacteria. Nothing to do with the "bad" bacteria that's in the powder than someone here claimed.

Formula is not sterile. Leaving the water cool for 30 mins means the water is hot enough to kill any bacteria that may be in the formula. https://www.hct.nhs.uk/media/1902/make-up-infant-bottle-formula-feeds.pdf

But then what kills the bacteria in the formula?

Incorrect. Powered infant formula is not sterile. Clean water isn't an issue in Ireland generally, but all infant formula can contain bacteria. The guidelines aren't there for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

What's the obsession with having 'sterile' formula for babies? Boiling the water will kill any bacteria in it and baby formula generally does t contain bacteria harmful to babies? Why the hysteria
    Those prep machines are perfectly safe if used correctly.

• Advertisement

Babies need sterile food. It's hardly that difficult to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Well I've been using mine for nearly 6 months now with no issue and a friend of mine is on his 4th child using the machine and all his kids are alive and healthy. It's a great thing, especially if a bottle is needed in a rush.

Know better do better. Alive is pretty minimal as far as standards go!

What's the obsession with having 'sterile' formula for babies? Boiling the water will kill any bacteria in it and baby formula generally does t contain bacteria harmful to babies? Why the hysteria
    Those prep machines are perfectly safe if used correctly.

There’s no hysteria.
    Those prep machines are perfectly safe... in your opinion.
    And most babies will be fine and experience no ill effects from them. But some won’t. Some babies are particularly at risk from bacteria.

My kids would probably be fine if I chose to drive to the shop with them unsecured in the back seat, as was the case when we were children. But I personally wouldn’t take the chance.

People generally do the best they can for their kids. At the end of the day, I don’t think anyone really cares what anyone else feeds their child. Put Fanta in their bottles, juice, milk straight from the carton- it makes no odds to any one else. But I suppose information sharing is what a forum like this is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It's not a 'fact'.
    The FSAI does not recommend the use of automatic machines to prepare bottles of powdered infant formula because there is insufficient data available to verify the safety and efficacy of these machines.

It simply says that they don't have enough information to confirm they are safe, so they don't recommend them. I don't recommend FIATs but that doesn't mean they aren't safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

All the talk of sterile this and sterile that....utter tripe..
    Yes in my opinion they are safe to use and people suggesting that by using them you are taking some.sort of unnecessary risk is ridiculous..'they are unsafe - get rid of it '!!? And I really don't care how people feed their children either....but scaremongering is just wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭duffman13

Know better do better. Alive is pretty minimal as far as standards go!

Used the machine for 4 months no issues. Tbh looking at the hysteria when packaging changes on some baby products about adverse effects etc, I'd pretty sure there would be a big clamour from pediatricians and the like saying these things aren't suitable never mind parents if kids were getting sick.

From reading forums on Facebook groups etc, I just find it bizarre the amount of people who

a) don't know how to use the machine
    b) Dont know how to make a bottle if they do it the recommended way (without the machine)
    c) Make up their own ways of making bottles and keeping them for days in the fridge.

Alive and healthy is a fairly good indicator in babies of how well you are doing as a parent relatively speaking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

Quick update. Unit is being replaced without quibble by Tommee Tippee. Thanks to all who replied with helpful replies. Mods can thread be locked, as I feel thread was hijacked by a certain poster. Her link never proved that these units were unsafe. Thanks again

[Mod]

Closing out as requested.

Shadow Dancer,
    In future can you please report your post, asking for the thread to be closed. And refrain from commenting on how you perceived others may be involved in the discussion. Any concerns with the level of input from other posters should be reported and handed by the moderation team.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement