Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If nurofen plus (codeine) can be sold otc, why not other drugs?

• 21-02-2019 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Just curious. codeine is a opiate, though very weak one. Despite the concerns about addiction that forced pharmacists to move it out of site but still remain non-prescription i.e. over the counter, no one has lost their home over it to move onto a cardboard box. I don't here people stealing for money.

Since codeine is in the opiate family (hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, diamorphine) and hasn't done much devestation, would you be in favor of making morphine otc?

If you're not then why? don't they all get converted into morphine in the liver? I suppose society is worried about theft but in all fairness, drug prices are caused by them being illegal and the bad dealers controlling the prices forcing desperate people to buy them. Nothing will stop people using drugs. If they were legalized and regulated and sold otc (oramorph for example), why would anyone steal to buy it? It would become just like nurofen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Exactly how many of those Nerofen plus tables have you taken this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

AllForIt wrote: »
    Exactly how many of those Nerofen plus tables have you taken this evening?

None....I'm broke af

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm buying shares in sennakot and Lactulose if OPs dream comes true.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats kinda like saying your child had ate a chocolate liqueur and were fine so might as well let them try Absinthe.
    Smurfing
    Buying up the maximum allowed quantities of pseudoephedrine-based medicines at one location after another for use in the production of crystal meth.

OTC supply of anything with a significant amount of active ingredient that substance abusers might want is a bad idea. Look at what krokodil users will use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Just curious. codeine is a opiate, though very weak one. Despite the concerns about addiction that forced pharmacists to move it out of site but still remain non-prescription i.e. over the counter, no one has lost their home over it to move onto a cardboard box. I don't here people stealing for money.

Since codeine is in the opiate family (hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, diamorphine) and hasn't done much devestation, would you be in favor of making morphine otc?

If you're not then why? don't they all get converted into morphine in the liver? I suppose society is worried about theft but in all fairness, drug prices are caused by them being illegal and the bad dealers controlling the prices forcing desperate people to buy them. Nothing will stop people using drugs. If they were legalized and regulated and sold otc (oramorph for example), why would anyone steal to buy it? It would become just like nurofen.

Nurofen plus addiction seems to be a bit of a problem in Australia, think they've made them prescription only now. I had to get a packet last weekend for a toothache and was asked a few questions in the pharmacy, I'm not a big fan of that codeine feeling, you kinda get sick of it like you would coffee or tea if you drank 3 cups in a row, but I can see how some people would develop a problem with it. Making morphine/oxycodone otc? No way I've seen the problems in Toronto with oxycodone, I'd only really want that if I was on my death bed with a terminal illness so I wouldn't be walking away an addict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In the 2004-2010 period, these drugs were killing 47-69 people per year in Ireland, when Heroin and Methadone were killing a combined 69-184 people per year in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Neurofen+ has plenty of abusers,make no mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,876 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

ED E wrote: »
    Thats kinda like saying your child had ate a chocolate liqueur and were fine so might as well let them try Absinthe.

OTC supply of anything with a significant amount of active ingredient that substance abusers might want is a bad idea. Look at what krokodil users will use.

Sorry to bring up the old chestnut, but: alcohol.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Because making drugs freely available means they end up causing endless deaths and misery.
    Just like alcohol and cigerrettes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

If codeine is not enough for your pain, then you should really get an appointment with a GP. No need for stronger painkillers to be otc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    If codeine is not enough for your pain, then you should really get an appointment with a GP. No need for stronger painkillers to be otc.

I don’t think the OP is actually in pain, but they seem under the impression that neurofen is harmless.
    They are misinformed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

My student days were spent working in a pharmacy. I recall all the fuss when the guidelines regarding codeine came in and we had to implement them we took absolute dogs abuse. This wasn't your average junkie screaming abuse but ask yourself if a person dressed in a business suit is willing to threaten staff with assault unless they are given it or if an otherwise normal middle class person is willing to scream abuse at a pharmacist on the street because of it they don't have a problem. These weren't isolated incidents either.

A man asked me could he give in some medicines for the DUMP scheme one day. He handed me several supermarket bags of codeine products. His wife had them all over the house. He didn't realize the issue with codeine until he read it in the media. His wife obviously had a serious addiction to them.

Crazy times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'd like to see weed legalised on a trial basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

No.

I take codeine for chronic nerve pain. I get Solpadol caps with pure codeine tabs added as it’s the paracetamol and ibuprofen contained in solpadol and neurofen that causes most physical harm to people.

Ive also been on OxyCodone for short periods when the pain gets really bad and I wouldn’t want to be on it for long. There’s no comparison other then that they’re both from the opiate family. Oxy will knock you on your ass. Nurofen Plus are like sweets in comparison.
    Your Face wrote: »
    I'd like to see weed legalised on a trial basis.

So would I. It’s incredibly effective for nerve pain, probably as effective for me as codeine with way fewer side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭corminators

Let's legalise carfentanil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So you have to go to your GP and pay the guts of €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Codeine is known as the housewives heroin.”might aswell get the 24 while I’m here”.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

I take codeine regularly (not now though cause don't have money). Perform a cold-water extract to remove the ibuprofen from nurofen plus as it causes gastrointestinal problems. It's a nice high though definitely not as strong as Vidocin or OxyContin (oxycodone)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I take codeine regularly (not now though cause don't have money). Perform a cold-water extract to remove the ibuprofen from nurofen plus as it causes gastrointestinal problems. It's a nice high though definitely not as strong as Vidocin or OxyContin (oxycodone)

Should you not be taking them for pain relief ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

How is this possible?
    Carfentanil is a synthetic opioid that is 10,000 times more potent than morphine and 100 times more potent than fentanyl, which itself is 50 times more potent than heroin
    Let's legalise carfentanil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I think you have just answered the question as to why you can't just pick them off the shelf anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Anytime I wanted Nurofen plus codeine, the pharmacist would always ask me a lot of questions before selling it to me. Even when it was really obvious that I was doubled over with back pain.

So, it’s OTC but not that easy to procure in my experience.

Now I have cancer and people throw heavy drugs at me like fish to a seal. It’s the only silver lining. Love you, oxycodone. Love you, Xanax! xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Codeine is known as the housewives heroin.”might aswell get the 24 while I’m here”.

I might use neurofen now and than for intense pain and find it help alleviate.
    But it has never occurred to me that people take it for no other reason than just take it,
    supposed to be a pain killer
    I cannot understand why people would put their organs under stress by taking these pain killers when they don't have pain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

SeaFields wrote: »
    My student days were spent working in a pharmacy. I recall all the fuss when the guidelines regarding codeine came in and we had to implement them we took absolute dogs abuse. This wasn't your average junkie screaming abuse but ask yourself if a person dressed in a business suit is willing to threaten staff with assault unless they are given it or if an otherwise normal middle class person is willing to scream abuse at a pharmacist on the street because of it they don't have a problem. These weren't isolated incidents either.

A man asked me could he give in some medicines for the DUMP scheme one day. He handed me several supermarket bags of codeine products. His wife had them all over the house. He didn't realize the issue with codeine until he read it in the media. His wife obviously had a serious addiction to them.

Crazy times...

I take N+ for migraine. I'd very rarely take more than one dose in 24 hrs (if one dose doesn't ease it a second one 6 hours later won't make a difference ) never more than 3 or 4 doses in a month. I certainly don't abuse it. I have had words with a pharmacist though. I have no problem with them going through the mandated guidelines but I do take issue with someone trying to flog me an overpriced paracetamol product instead of what I've asked even when I told him paracetamol doesn't work. When I'm in excruciating pain and I'm dizzy and can't see properly I tend to be a bit short fused when someone is implying I'm a drug abuser.

I take paracetomal (1g) and ibruprofen (400mg) (non-plus) together at the same time when I get a migraine (unilateral throbbing).

they have different actions and both seem to help in their own way.

perfectly safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I take N+ for migraine. I'd very rarely take more than one dose in 24 hrs (if one dose doesn't ease it a second one 6 hours later won't make a difference ) never more than 3 or 4 doses in a month. I certainly don't abuse it. I have had words with a pharmacist though. I have no problem with them going through the mandated guidelines but I do take issue with someone trying to flog me an overpriced paracetamol product instead of what I've asked even when I told him paracetamol doesn't work. When I'm in excruciating pain and I'm dizzy and can't see properly I tend to be a bit short fused when someone is implying I'm a drug abuser.

I also rarely take them for migraine and when I have a particularly bad period. Now my period aren't a bit of a sore but I had to be hospitalised before on numerous occasions for them.
    It's a lifesaver getting them after a few questions, I'd be long bankrupt if I'd have to get a prescription every time for it.

That said, I know a few people that abuse Codeine. It's not accessible over the counter in Germany anymore where said people live but people used to order them from France because some cough syrup with codeine could be ordered by the half dozen. I was even asked numerous times if I could just order them and send them on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyone else amused by the new Nurofen ads?

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR1Jw3i6YNL-At6uKeo236pevTsGErbjYSYB-OYvps-jqAIPGtk

I'd say the marketing guys were having a laugh and couldn't believe it got signed off!

Unleash the speed of liquid eh?

TOgkx1N.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I've seen lads doing that in Canada with Tylenol 3s to separate the paracetamol, it's not full proof and you'll still fcuk yourself up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

glasso wrote: »
    I take paracetomal (1g) and ibruprofen (400mg) (non-plus) together at the same time when I get a migraine (unilateral throbbing).

perfectly safe to do so.
    glasso wrote: »

perfectly safe to do so.
    I've tried that too. Sometimes works, sometimes not. The reason I choose to use n+ is basically because no matter what I take it can't be guaranteed pain relief. If the Ibuprofen doesn't work then the codeine takes the edge off . I can get cluster headache and on day 3 when I've reached the point of wanting to gouge my eye out with a spoon the codeine enables me to zone out for a bit and maybe snooze if possible (often the best cure for migraine, I've found )

For severe non migraine pain I'll do the paracetomal/Ibuprofen combo. It's great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

You can't cold water extract ibuprofen from codeine. Ibuprofen is insoluble in water.

Advertisement