Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If nurofen plus (codeine) can be sold otc, why not other drugs?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Since codeine is in the opiate family (hydrocodone, oxycodone, morphine, diamorphine) and hasn't done much devestation, would you be in favor of making morphine otc?

If it's your a buzz yer after codeine is bollix, it's combined with a huge amount of paracetamol to prevent abuse) This of course can be sorted with a cold water extraction to remove the paracetamol(codeine is water soluble, paracetamol isn't) even then, it's still crap. If you're really looking for an opiate buzz get some Palexia pills, pretty easily obtained from an Irish Gp. They are extended release so you'll have to bash them into powder to get the desired effect. That said, if you're willing to do a cwe or use palexia then you may as well score a bag of gear, which is a really fkn stoopid road to go down. There are much more enjoyable drugs than opiates man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Vela wrote: »
    I hear you. If you're not happy with your dr, I'd suggest going to a different one and getting a second opinion. You're right about having to drive the bus, and you'll always have to do that because no-one will care about your pain more than you. But that also means it's up to you to keep pushing and be proactive until you get the help you need.

The first thing that happens if you request that a new GP sees you is " why don't you stay with your current GP"

Solicitors, mechanics, hairdressers, all love winning new business, not doctors, unwritten contract that they won't steal each others patients

Yahoo On a separate note, is arcoxia classed as strong and if not, can someone name a strong anti inflammatory to help with stressed - sore joints?

Prone to stomach ulcers but you can take meds to soothe while on hard painkillers

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Am just wondering if you have a sensitivity to codeine that makes you nauseous/vomit ?
    I can't take anything with codeine in it for the same reason , I get dizzy and vomit if I do .

You can take promethazine(Phenegran). It's the perfect complimentary antihistamine with codeine. It potentiates it's euphoric effects, prevents excessive histamine release (no itching), as well as having anti-emetic properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The first thing that happens if you request that a new GP sees you is " why don't you stay with your current GP"

Solicitors, mechanics, hairdressers, all love winning new business, not doctors, unwritten contract that they won't steal each others patients

I did this a good few years ago and this wasn't the case. I've also done it with a consultant in recent years. Are you a medical card holder? Maybe that makes them more likely to question why you're moving? Regardless, you just explain that you weren't happy with the treatment you were receiving and wanted a second opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I did this a good few years ago and this wasn't the case. I've also done it with a consultant in recent years. Are you a medical card holder? Maybe that makes them more likely to question why you're moving? Regardless, you just explain that you weren't happy with the treatment you were receiving and wanted a second opinion.

I also moved GP’s when I wasn’t getting the help I needed.

You’re the customer and you’re paying for a service.

You’re entitled to shop around till you find what you need.

Not a medical card holder but not in an urban area

You can take promethazine(Phenegran). It's the perfect complimentary antihistamine with codeine. It potentiates it's euphoric effects, prevents excessive histamine release (no itching), as well as having anti-emetic properties.

Purple drank! Spite or 7-up, codeine based cough bottle and some promethazine(any antihistamine will do), and a jolly rancher sweet thrown in to counteract the bitterness. The yanks love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

I'm not sure I understand are you saying that you can take phenergan with codiene. What does the phenergan do?

jopax wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand are you saying that you can take phenergan with codiene. What does the phenergan do?

Stop you from vomiting and itching all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Stop you from vomiting and itching all over.

Thanks, that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Victor wrote: »
    In the 2004-2010 period, these drugs were killing 47-69 people per year in Ireland, when Heroin and Methadone were killing a combined 69-184 people per year in Ireland.

Is there any truth to that?

Anyone familiar with Dihydrocideine?

Advertisement