Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai seized car this morning for out of date NCT.

• 21-02-2019 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can I drive it out of the garage they brought it to? I know not legally but will the garage owner let me take it, will he ring the cops on me or what's the story? The garage they took it to is about 30 miles from my house. It would cost a bomb to get it dropped over. anyone got any advice? I don't know anyone with a trailer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Why did they take your car to a garage? All seizures go to an impound :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Why did they take your car to a garage? All seizures go to an impound :confused:

PSV'd...?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Book an nct beefore picking it up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i imagine the garage are the ones who towed it on behalf of the Gards and they will want towing and storage fees. You'll have to produce documents to show it's legal or arrange a recovery truck

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Geimhreadh

How out of date does you nct need to be for the guards to take the car off of you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

PSV'd...?

They'd surely only PSV it if it's a taxi or they suspected something really wrong with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

They'd surely only PSV it if it's a taxi or they suspected something really wrong with it

It's the only thing I can think of to why it would be brought to a garage, they always go to a recovery yard otherwise

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe in more rural areas where they don't have a specific local impound yard like in the urban areas?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Wibbs wrote: »
    Maybe in more rural areas where they don't have a specific local impound yard like in the urban areas?

Yep. It's rural. The garage doubles as an impound yard I presume. So I won't be able to drive it out? What if I roll it out the gates and park it on the side of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

They won't let you drive it out if it's not road legal. You have to pay the fine in Garda station with a postal order. You could get it towed out of the garage/impound and chance driving it the rest of way!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How long was your NCT out by BB?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Geimhreadh wrote: »
    How out of date does you nct need to be for the guards to take the car off of you?

Out of date is out of date. It's not like tax, where it's inclusive for the month displayed on the disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

breadbin wrote: »
    Yep. It's rural. The garage doubles as an impound yard I presume. So I won't be able to drive it out? What if I roll it out the gates and park it on the side of the road?

I know of 2 or 3 like this. Cahir direction. When cars are lifted off the motorway then end up in them.

I'm sure you could push it or even tow it out on a rope legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Out of date is out of date. It's not like tax, where it's inclusive for the month displayed on the disk.

If it's only a few weeks out of date and you have proof that you have the test booked, or a re-test booked, then I'm sure some Gardai would give you some leeway.

Yes, but I was just wondering what leeway is applied. I've never heard of Guards impounding cars with the NCT being out a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yes, but I was just wondering what leeway is applied. I've never heard of Guards impounding cars with the NCT being out a month.

Perhaps if it's in visibly bad condition none, bald tyres or non working lights maybe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Pops_20 wrote: »
    If it's only a few weeks out of date and you have proof that you have the test booked, or a re-test booked, then I'm sure some Gardai would give you some leeway.

They shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

They shouldn't.

Let's hope it never happens to you then eh.

Is it still legal to tow it with a rope? That surprises me somehow.

They shouldn't.

Unless the car is suspected as being unsafe I think its a waste of everyones time to impound it when evidence of upcoming test is available and NCT is not out for more than a couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it still legal to tow it with a rope? That surprises me somehow.

Nope.
    Talk the the garage they'll tell you what to do.

Well it's obviously in their best interest for me not to tow it. Handy 200 quid for them to drop it at my door. And the rest maybe! I've no idea how much it would cost. It's all a money making racket anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I know of 2 or 3 like this. Cahir direction. When cars are lifted off the motorway then end up in them.

I'm sure you could push it or even tow it out on a rope legally.

Vehicle cannot be towed on rope without NCT. Need to be platform tow truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Well it's obviously in their best interest for me not to tow it. Handy 200 quid for them to drop it at my door. And the rest maybe! I've no idea how much it would cost. It's all a money making racket anyway.

If only there was a piece of paper that says when the cert expires and you could test the car in advance...

grogi wrote: »
    If only there was a piece of paper that says when the cert expires and you could test the car in advance...

Well sometimes life gets in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

It's a money making racket yes... if the NCT was expired for a few weeks and you had proof of a test booking.
    However I don't believe they would seize a car in this case, which leads me to believe that your NCT was expired for more than a few weeks as you also have not answered how long it has been expired for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Cordell

You have 3 months in advance to do it, so there is no excuse.

*I did let my NCT lapse once or twice, but I never thought of blaming anyone else but me*

OP do you expect your car to pass the NCT?
    Another poster brought it up and I would tend to agree, I reckon they took one look at your car and decided it was a deathtrap that needs garage time nevermind an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Jamemid wrote: »
    They won't let you drive it out if it's not road legal. You have to pay the fine in Garda station with a postal order. You could get it towed out of the garage/impound and chance driving it the rest of way!

If the car doesn't have a valid NCT it needs to leave the garage on a trailer or on the back of a recovery truck.

The only other option would be to have an NCT appointment and drive it to the NCT centre or garage for repairs on the day of the NCT appointment.

I suspect storage charges between now and the nearest available NCT appointment would be more than if would cost to have the car trailered home pending an NCT.

• Advertisement

Well sometimes life gets in the way.
    So how long was it out of date BB?

Advertisement