Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai seized car this morning for out of date NCT.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

If the car doesn't have a valid NCT it needs to leave the garage on a trailer or on the back of a recovery truck.

The only other option would be to have an NCT appointment and drive it to the NCT centre or garage for repairs on the day of the NCT appointment.

I suspect storage charges between now and the nearest available NCT appointment would be more than if would cost to have the car trailered home pending an NCT.

And then if it is a fail/dangerous at the NCT you will be back to square one as you will not be allowed to take the car and will have to get it towed to a mechanic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Cordell wrote: »
    You have 3 months in advance to do it, so there is no excuse.

*I did let my NCT lapse once or twice, but I never thought of blaming anyone else but me*

How did you manage to let your NCT lapse if there is no excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do you have a mechanic op?

If you do know one and they have trade plates they could get the car and fix it up for test.

Get test date and get mechanic to get it in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They shouldn't.
    There's always the bureaucratic mind... So in your world somebody whose car fails on something minor and has a retest booked should have their car impounded in between?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    There's always the bureaucratic mind... So in your world somebody whose car fails on something minor and has a retest booked should have their car impounded in between?

Well yes as it's not tested...,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

You have 3 months to NCT it before test runs out. You shouldn’t be driving a car to the Test center if it has no NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

You have 3 months to NCT it before test runs out. You shouldn’t be driving a car to the Test center if it has no NCT.

It is allowed if you are on your way to the NCT center though.

But I would be of the same mindset as yourself, you gain absolutely nothing by putting it on the long finger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

breadbin wrote: »
    Yep. It's rural. The garage doubles as an impound yard I presume. So I won't be able to drive it out? What if I roll it out the gates and park it on the side of the road?

you'd still have to pay the fees (and a fine if there is one) and you'd run the risk of it getting seized again if it was sat on the road. Quite a high risk seeing aas it would be parked outside the impound yard!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well yes as it's not tested...,
    Actually it has been tested, failed on something minor and is booked for a retest. Then again I forgot about the technicality types.

And we still don't know by how much the OP's NCT was out. I can't see too many Guards going full on pedant and bypassing discretion if it's a couple of weeks out, a couple of months out is another matter entirely.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Cordell

Dante7 wrote: »
    How did you manage to let your NCT lapse if there is no excuse?

Pure laziness.
    *looks at disc, grand, I'm good until February*
    *February comes*
    *February goes*
    *Gets NCT booking in late March*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

tcawley29 wrote: »
    It is allowed if you are on your way to the NCT center though.

No, you're not. That provision was removed from the law years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Let's hope it never happens to you then eh.

I've never driven a car out of NCT, nor intend to. There's plenty of time to book in advance of the date it expires.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Unless the car is suspected as being unsafe I think its a waste of everyones time to impound it when evidence of upcoming test is available and NCT is not out for more than a couple of weeks.

The Gardaí only have the ability to do so on very few observational points, such as condition of the tires. They have no means to assess the rest of the car on the side of the road.

No, they should have done the test, before it expired. There's 90 days before the renewal, whereby you can get the expiration extended. It's hardly an issue with a lack of opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If you have an NCT test and they deem the car to be unsafe to drive(you cannot drive it away, and it needs to taken away on a flatbed). And you get the flat bed driver to unload the truck 50 meters down the road, get in the car and drive home, then yeah you deserve to get impounded..... But what, a car without NCT that fails on something less worse, should also get car impounded?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Cordell

I can't see any reason to impound a car that failed for minor defects. Impounding should only be done to prevent a (potentially) dangerous car to be driven, not as a punishment for the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Well it's obviously in their best interest for me not to tow it. Handy 200 quid for them to drop it at my door. And the rest maybe! I've no idea how much it would cost. It's all a money making racket anyway.
    Well sometimes life gets in the way.

Sounds like you just feel you don't have to follow the same laws as most other people in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm going to keep a close eye on the Garda twitter account for to see what kind of yokes they have up on tow trucks today

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Effects wrote: »
    Sounds like you just feel you don't have to follow the same laws as most other people in the country.

You should read my post before making stupid assumptions like that. I never gave out about the Gardai taking the car. They have every right to. I posted to get advice on how to get my car out. I thought maybe I could save myself a couple hundred euro by towing it out myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You should read my post before making stupid assumptions like that. I never gave out about the Gardai taking the car. They have every right to. I posted to get advice on how to get my car out. I thought maybe I could save myself a couple hundred euro by towing it out myself.

Are you going to answer the question that has been asked 3 times already...how long was the NCT out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

It's the only thing I can think of to why it would be brought to a garage, they always go to a recovery yard otherwise

Sounds a bit dodgy, Garda gets car sent/brought to private yard/garage! and an owner is obliged to pay said private company for storage or they have a formal agreement with the Gardai?? who gets to decide on the condition of the vehicle? and fix it up? the garage??

Is it obvious OP? and again, how longs it out OP? a week or two isnt going to make a difference to safety if its ok but might result in points unnecessarily, why take the risk though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I recently got my NCT done at the end of December for a January1st due date NCT disk.

The thing failed for CV boot cracked and worn and emissions high ( Diesel smoke test). I was not able to get these rectified until mid January due to garage being in the middle of a very busy time but I was able to book a a retest for a day after the garage had rectified the faults on the 15th January.

Passed with flying colours but if I'd have known my car was subject to seizure I would have been a lot more nervous.

Now that I am aware of the three months early rule I'll be getting the NCT done in November to avoid the Christmas rush and have time to rectify possible faults.

I am guessing that 1st of January is a very busy time NCT wise as would be the 1st July because of plates changing at those times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Going by the reluctance to answer I'd guess a considerable length of time. Over a year.

Sorry. All I know is that you were driving around in your car because you weren't bothered getting an NCT, and the Gardaí decided it wasn't fit to be on the road.
    Why don't you just drive it out of the garage? You had no problem driving it beforehand. You probably won't get caught by the Gardaí.

doolox wrote: »
    I'd have known my car was subject to seizure I would have been a lot more nervous.

It only gets seized if you let your NCT lapse for a long time and can't show that you have an appointment booked. You would have been fine.

Actually it has been tested, failed on something minor and is booked for a retest. Then again I forgot about the technicality types.

And we still don't know by how much the OP's NCT was out. I can't see too many Guards going full on pedant and bypassing discretion if it's a couple of weeks out, a couple of months out is another matter entirely.

What are you on about.

If a car has test it can be driven once insured.
    If it fails on minor things but still has test the original test still stands.
    If the car fails dangerous but still has original test then this trumps that and it can't be driven.

It's quite simple how the law works.

If a car doesn't have NCT even out a day it's not legally allowed on a road.

What are you on about.

If a car has test it can be driven once insured.
    If it fails on minor things but still has test the original test still stands.
    If the car fails dangerous but still has original test then this trumps that and it can't be driven.

It's quite simple how the law works.

If a car doesn't have NCT even out a day it's not legally allowed on a road.

You're simplifying things too much too. At any time the car needs both: valid NCT cert and being roadworthy. If the car doesn't have a NCT - cannot be driven. If the car is not roadworthy - it cannot be driven.

Failing dangerously NCT has nothing to do with legality of the car (failed test does not invalidate the certificate). The car was illegal before the test was carried - the test didn't change its roadworthiness. If driven after such failure, it just proofs gross negligence and intend of the operator.

If Gardai see a genuine intend of the owner to have the car tested, typically they will issue just a verbal warning. To have a car seized it needs to be a junk on wheels with driver showing a metaphorical finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

As it happens, my NCT is just out this week on my car, total brain fart on my end, thought it was due at end of March. Now I'm worried because op won't answer how long his was out of date and I wanna book a test asap but use the car at the weekends.

Guess it could get seized too right?

rizzodun wrote: »
    As it happens, my NCT is just out this week on my car, total brain fart on my end, thought it was due at end of March. Now I'm worried because op won't answer how long his was out of date and I wanna book a test asap but use the car at the weekends.

You'd get points worst case scenario.

rizzodun wrote: »

As this has come up many times and I'm just stating the legal end.

Some will give leeway but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

As this has come up many times and I'm just stating the legal end.

Some will give leeway but not all.

More tongue in cheek at the fact op won't answer how long its been out of nct.

Test is booked, all going well it won't even be out of NCT one week.

Not to mention 4 brand new tyres on the car, should I need it an get stopped I'm hoping all that will help the argument from my side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

Well sometimes life gets in the way.

Someone else's maybe.

Advertisement