Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gardai seized car this morning for out of date NCT.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Listen it doesn't matter how long the nct is out. That's not why I posted. And for the record it's not a year.

I'm not arguing as to the fact they took the car. I said it before I have no qualms with them taking the car. I broke the law and paid my dues. I was looking for advice on how to get the car back spending the least amount of money. Whatever arguments other people are having it's not me.

Im not getting into the reasons why I left it so long. Suffice to say I have stuff going on that makes NCT worries pale into insignificance. And for the record the car is well looked after and would probably pass the test tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭MTBD

I've never driven a car out of NCT, nor intend to. There's plenty of time to book in advance of the date it expires.

The Gardaí only have the ability to do so on very few observational points, such as condition of the tires. They have no means to assess the rest of the car on the side of the road.

No, they should have done the test, before it expired. There's 90 days before the renewal, whereby you can get the expiration extended. It's hardly an issue with a lack of opportunity.

Jeez I hope nobody tells you about all the cars less than 4 years old that don't have any NCT! Just driving around unchecked...they must be total death traps.

I take it in your world we are to assume all cars are unroadworthy unless they can be proven otherwise. And as you probably know the NCT is not actually a test of roadworthiness, it's an NCT and nothing else.

The OP should have had it as it is mandatory and there is no good excuse. but I must say I don't see why someone would desire that the car was immediately taken off him unless the car was obviously unroadworthy or you are a complete pedant. A fine should be enough.

Most people who know about cars are aware of the pathetically inconsistent/ineffectual nature of the NCT as a means of assessing vehicle safety. About the only thing it tests well are tyres and brake wear a Garda can easily do that at the side of the road if trained properly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

MTBD wrote: »
    Jeez I hope nobody tells you about all the cars less than 4 years old that don't have any NCT! Just driving around unchecked...they must be total death traps.

I take it in your world we are to assume all cars are unroadworthy unless they can be proven otherwise. And as you probably know the NCT is not actually a test of roadworthiness, it's an NCT and nothing else.

The OP should have had it as it is mandatory and there is no good excuse. but I must say I don't see why someone would desire that the car was immediately taken off him unless the car was obviously unroadworthy or you are a complete pedant. A fine should be enough.

Most people who know about cars are aware of the pathetically inconsistent/ineffectual nature of the NCT as a means of assessing vehicle safety. About the only thing it tests well are tyres and brake wear a Garda can easily do that at the side of the road if trained properly.

What's with the sensationalism? I know a car within 4 years doesn't need it. Why do you act like it should come as some sort of surprise?

I never suggested a car with an expired nct is unroadworthy either. I only made references to the expirary.

But sure, hows about opening the can of worms from uninsured drivers. An uninsured driver isn't nessacirily a dangerous driver. We still need insurance. And we still need to display it. That is out by the day also with no grace period.

What's with the sensationalism? I know a car within 4 years doesn't need it. Why do you act like it should come as some sort of surprise?

I never suggested a car with an expired nct is unroadworthy either. I only made references to the expirary.

But sure, hows about opening the can of worms from uninsured drivers. An uninsured driver isn't nessacirily a dangerous driver. We still need insurance. And we still need to display it. That is out by the day also with no grace period.

Well you did say that there should be no exceptions and all cars with 1 day expired should be immediately seized despite them being unlikely to be unroadworthy. I think that is a farcical waste of Garda time and resources.

Not having insurance vs NCT are not the same thing. If you have no insurance on your car and you have a crash, then the other person is immediately in a predicament as you are unlikely to be able to cover the cost of their loss. And the tax payer will end up footing the bill. Having a barely expired NCT is very unlikely to have any causal effect on a crash and it won't affect the person you hit so long as you are insured. It's not particularly dangerous or likely to negatively affect you or any other road user. Having no insurance will.

The NCT should be aboloshed and replaced with proper Garda road safety policing including checking for unroadworthy cars. Taking cars off the road for barely expired ncts is absurd

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There really is no difference between those arguments of having them or not as material facts. No other whataboutery is needed for potential scenarios that can arise. Both are required to drive a car on the road along with taxing the car and holding a valid licence. Yet 1 of them is held in a higher regard than the other. That is just blatant selfishness. You are looking at the out of date nct as something prohibiting you from driving that car and nothing more. Trivialising it even. But no, insurance is a must. Cant be going without that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

As this has come up many times and I'm just stating the legal end.

Some will give leeway but not all.

Cant see how a Garda can legally allow a car without an NCT drive on tbh.

OP, if the car is roadworthy, get the car lifted to the NCT centre by recovery truck - problem solved.
    If it needs repairs to pass the NCT either get the garage where it's at to fix it or else get the car lifted to whoever is going to fix it. Either way you'll then have to get it lifted to the NCT centre for the test (or risk getting it impounded again and another 5 points on your licence)..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Here we go. T'is de laaaaw argument. If you equate having a driving licence out of date by a week, or a month, with driving with no insurance then all you appear to be be seeing is rigid pedantry, not flexible real world effects of either case. Common enough mindset mind you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Going by the reluctance to answer I'd guess a considerable length of time. Over a year.

Life gets in the way.

By life, I obviously mean a reluctance to pay a cent towards making my car roadworthy.

There really is no difference between those arguments of having them or not as material facts. No other whataboutery is needed for potential scenarios that can arise. Both are required to drive a car on the road along with taxing the car and holding a valid licence. Yet 1 of them is held in a higher regard than the other. That is just blatant selfishness. You are looking at the out of date nct as something prohibiting you from driving that car and nothing more. Trivialising it even. But no, insurance is a must. Cant be going without that.

That's because in my opinion the NCT is farcical and trivial. I passed with one of my old cars during the summer with 4 tyres that had cracks all over them. I wouldn't drive over 30mph because of it but as it's a project car on only did the 10 miles to the NCT centre in a year I didn't want to change them until it was finished. The fact that the NCT spotted the tyres were over 6 years old but didn't spot they were that cracked makes a complete mockery of it. The tyres would have been properly dangerous at motorway speed. Having an NCT didn't magically make it not dangerous. If anything it would fool someone who was unaware into thinking they had safe tyres.

Having no insurance is not trivial.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Here we go. T'is de laaaaw argument. If you equate having a driving licence out of date by a week, or a month, with driving with no insurance then all you appear to be be seeing is rigid pedantry, not flexible real world effects of either case. Common enough mindset mind you.

It's really not a lot to ask for. And it isn't as if you don't have plenty of time to do it, or an indication of when it's to be done. They even send a letter 1 month prior to expirary, if it hasn't been tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

newmember? wrote: »
    Cant see how a Garda can legally allow a car without an NCT drive on tbh.

OP, if the car is roadworthy, get the car lifted to the NCT centre by recovery truck - problem solved.
    If it needs repairs to pass the NCT either get the garage where it's at to fix it or else get the car lifted to whoever is going to fix it. Either way you'll then have to get it lifted to the NCT centre for the test (or risk getting it impounded again and another 5 points on your licence)..

It's called discretion which they can still use.

For example you are driving car to test centre with an appointment.

That's because in my opinion the NCT is farcical and trivial. I passed with one of my old cars during the summer with 4 tyres that had cracks all over them. I wouldn't drive over 30mph because of it but as it's a project car on only did the 10 miles to the NCT centre in a year I didn't want to change them until it was finished. The fact that the NCT spotted the tyres were over 6 years old but didn't spot they were that cracked makes a complete mockery of it. The tyres would have been properly dangerous at motorway speed. Having an NCT didn't magically make it not dangerous. If anything it would fool someone who was unaware into thinking they had safe tyres.

Then that's an issue you should take up with the nct centre. Not a discussion forum for some sense of validation to refute the need for it. Oh, I knew this, the never noticed it. Give over.

Its needed, just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

breadbin wrote: »
    Listen it doesn't matter how long the nct is out. That's not why I posted. And for the record it's not a year.

I'm not arguing as to the fact they took the car. I said it before I have no qualms with them taking the car. I broke the law and paid my dues. I was looking for advice on how to get the car back spending the least amount of money. Whatever arguments other people are having it's not me.

Im not getting into the reasons why I left it so long. Suffice to say I have stuff going on that makes NCT worries pale into insignificance. And for the record the car is well looked after and would probably pass the test tomorrow.

I think people are just curious of the circumstances and why the Gardai took the car. That's why they're asking how long, what state the car was in etc... It's most likely they've driven cars with expired NCT's. Hope you get the car sorted and the other stuff going on in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

It's called discretion which they can still use.

For example you are driving car to test centre with an appointment.

Still don't get it...surely there's no insurance in effect?

Then that's an issue you should take up with the nct centre. Not a discussion forum for some sense of validation to refute the need for it. Oh, I knew this, the never noticed it. Give over.

Its needed, just do it.

It passed on the tyres in two different NCT centres (I had to get it retested after the initial retest expiry as I couldn't get it repaired on time.) The NCT is a farce. Almost every time I have had a test they miss the issues that are most glaring and point out something innocuous enough.

Anyway, you are missing the point. I'm not saying that cars should drive without the NCT, I never do myself. What I am saying is that having them seized immediately for not having one is ridiculous if the car is otherwise road Worthy. A fine is sufficient. But you don't seem to see why no insurance is more important than a day expired NCT so maybe I'm wasting my time.

It passed on the tyres in two different NCT centres (I had to get it retested after the initial retest expiry as I couldn't get it repaired on time.) The NCT is a farce. Almost every time I have had a test they miss the issues that are most glaring and point out something innocuous enough.

Anyway, you are missing the point. I'm not saying that cars should drive without them, I never do myself. What I am saying is that stating they should be seized immediately for not having one is ridiculous. But you don't seem to see why no insurance is more important than a day expired NCT so maybe I'm wasting my time.

A car that shouldn't be on the road, shouldn't be on the road. Why it shouldn't be on the road doesn't matter.

A car that shouldn't be on the road, shouldn't be on the road. Why it shouldn't be on the road doesn't matter.

Okay, just so we are clear here. You want cars that are one day out of NCT or one day out of tax to be seized. Im so glad the gardai will now be spending their time impounding and releasing hundreds of cars everyday rather than out tackling crime or checking cars for actual signs of roadworthiness.

Okay, just so we are clear here. You want cars that are one day out of NCT or one day out of tax to be seized. Im so glad the gardai will now be spending their time impounding and releasing hundreds of cars everyday rather than out tackling crime or checking cars for actual signs of roadworthiness.

They don't manage the car after its impounded. That's all outsourced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

In fairness that just sounds like you had a useless clown test yours.

I was pulled up on small cracks before (which I had not spotted). I was still passed but they were an advisory so I got them changed anyways as they were also over 6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The NCT should be aboloshed and replaced with proper Garda road safety policing including checking for unroadworthy cars. Taking cars off the road for barely expired ncts is absurd

How does a garda check for something like worn CV joints or steering rack bushes at the side of a road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

mfceiling wrote: »
    How does a garda check for something like worn CV joints or steering rack bushes at the side of a road?

Or brake performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The purpose of NCT is not to completely eliminate dangerous cars from the road. One can pass the NCT and the same evening change the tyres to 'slicks'...

The biggest achievement of NCT system is that almost every car in the road goes through a regular effort to eliminate serious problems with it. Every two years every Siobhan and Eoin throw swearwords at this money spinner, but still spent the money to fix the car, so that it passes NCT. Tyres are replaced, lights checked, brakes services...

Sure - between the tests they couldn't care less - and the car might be dangerous soon after. But at least the decay is from much higher level than it would be if the car was never tested. Statistically it is a huge improvement and while it does not eliminate all deathtraps, it takes care of significant number of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Wibbs wrote: »

It's the sort of attitude from lads who got their lunch money taken from them in school and now have the notebook out. People like that should never be allowed near the Gardai, and in fairness they usually aren't. Despite the flaws in AGS, they are generally very pragmatic and not jobsworths. There is zero chance of your car being taken from you if your NCT is out by a month or two and it is not obviously unroadworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If you have no insurance on your car and you have a crash, then the other person is immediately in a predicament as you are unlikely to be able to cover the cost of their loss. And the tax payer will end up footing the bill.

That's not correct. If you hit another car and do not have insurance, they are covered by the MIBI for any claim they make. It's funded by every other driver on the road that has paid their insurance, not the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

breadbin wrote: »
    Listen it doesn't matter how long the nct is out. And for the record it's not a year.
    Two years, maybe three?
    Im not getting into the reasons why I left it so long.
    Just not arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

As an aside, I had a car that was six months out of NCT. It burst into flames (nothing that the NCT could have picked up on). When it came to the insurance settlement, the assessor deducted €500 from the claim due to it being out of NCT. That was five years ago, so the adjusters may have changed their criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

My nephew was in a collision with another car today that hadn’t been nct’d for nearly a year and no road tax .. it wasn’t his fault .. a 182 van lost control trying to avoid the accident..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

noelf wrote: »
    My nephew was in a collision with another car today that hadn’t been nct’d for nearly a year and no road tax .. it wasn’t his fault .. a 182 van lost control trying to avoid the accident..

Yikes! :eek: Please tell me the guards got the gob****e who caused all that?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

noelf wrote: »

Glad everyone made it out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

He’s Ok but sore .. car did a great job of protecting him ..

Advertisement