Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai seized car this morning for out of date NCT.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

grogi wrote: »
    The purpose of NCT is not to completely eliminate dangerous cars from the road. One can pass the NCT and the same evening change the tyres to 'slicks'...

The biggest achievement of NCT system is that almost every car in the road goes through a regular effort to eliminate serious problems with it. Every two years every Siobhan and Eoin throw swearwords at this money spinner and spent the money to fix the car, so that it passes NCT. Tyres are replaced, lights checked, brakes services...

Sure - between the tests they couldn't care less - and the car might be dangerous soon after. But at least the decay is from much higher level than it would be if the car was never tested. Statistically it is a huge improvement and while it does not eliminate all deathtraps, it takes care of significant number of them.

Thats it on the nose. Its thins the herd of ****heaps and makes most deathtraps uneconomical.

The anger about NCT is farcical. I saw a (what I could guess) mild mannered hipster have a brain vein bulge and nuclear in the centre at having to come back for a visual because his windscreen washers were frozen. It's a bloody checklist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Just booked in my old banger for nct test and luckily found this thread to remind me to book.

Towing cars with a tow rope is old skool as a lot of newer cars have electric power steering which is heavy,i remember the time in a merc on tow i nearly crapped in my pants with heavy steering and no brakes to stop,most of the time now cars are dropped off at places with safety in mind.Do people know if break down assist is on their insurance policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

greasepalm wrote: »
    Just booked in my old banger for nct test and luckily found this thread to remind me to book.

Towing cars with a tow rope is old skool as a lot of newer cars have electric power steering which is heavy,i remember the time in a merc on tow i nearly crapped in my pants with heavy steering and no brakes to stop,most of the time now cars are dropped off at places with safety in mind.Do people know if break down assist is on their insurance policy?

I don't know if it's even legal to tow a car without an NCT unless it's on a trailer. It's still got to brake, indicator bulbs, wheels got to stay on, etc. Though I'm sure you'd get away with having a cracked number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭greasepalm

We stopped towing cars years ago as possibly told by insurance dont and now comes on low loader for drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Would towing cars, other than in an emergency, not throw you into the BE licensing thread and towing capacities of vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if the nct is out, its out. by a day, month, or year shoukdnt make any difference.
    its isnt like you dont know when its due. if you drive a vehicle the onus is on you to adhere to the kaw.
    simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

Effects wrote:
    That's not correct. If you hit another car and do not have insurance, they are covered by the MIBI for any claim they make. It's funded by every other driver on the road that has paid their insurance, not the tax payer.

The mibi will only cover damage to vehicles. They won't go near any personal injury claims so if you're left badly injured by an uninsured unemployed bum you are bunched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭honda boi

laotg wrote: »
    The mibi will only cover damage to vehicles. They won't go near any personal injury claims so if you're left badly injured by an uninsured unemployed bum you are bunched.

Always thought the mibi was the other way around?
    Covered for injury,not the vehicle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually it has been tested, failed on something minor and is booked for a retest. Then again I forgot about the technicality types.

And we still don't know by how much the OP's NCT was out. I can't see too many Guards going full on pedant and bypassing discretion if it's a couple of weeks out, a couple of months out is another matter entirely.

What are you on about.

If a car has test it can be driven once insured.
    If it fails on minor things but still has test the original test still stands.
    If the car fails dangerous but still has original test then this trumps that and it can't be driven.

It's quite simple how the law works.

If a car doesn't have NCT even out a day it's not legally allowed on a road.
    Correct- end of story,this shilly shally attitude to motoring law in this country ref motoring is how we left in accompanied L drivers drive away for years,wake up ppl the law is for everyone to abide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

noelf wrote: »
    He’s Ok but sore .. car did a great job of protecting him ..

Holy moly :eek: glad to hear everyone walked away!

Did that happen here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Would towing cars, other than in an emergency, not throw you into the BE licensing thread and towing capacities of vehicles?

No, because the 'trailer' is manned as well in such scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

Holy moly :eek: glad to hear everyone walked away!

Did that happen here?

Drogheda to Slane road near Dolly Mitchell’s pub ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

grogi wrote: »
    No, because the 'trailer' is manned as well in such scenario.

Tow ropes are illegal now no?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

honda boi wrote: »
    Always thought the mibi was the other way around?
    Covered for injury,not the vehicle ?

It covered my vehicle when I was hit by an uninsured Roma. No personal injuries. I had to pay €444 excess.
    This was back in 2005.

Advertisement