Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen discs on UK motors.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Isambard wrote: »
    The Gards need to be able to verify the discs aren't counterfeit and if there's a system to do that, it beggars the question, why have the discs at all?
    its a handy technology free reference, can be confirmed by a quick call to tax office, probably no slower than confirming by other more modern means

samih wrote: »
    True, not such requirement. But you will have to be able to produce a correct licence when driving a car so in practice you would always have ID with you when driving, same as here. And you also have to carry the VLC in the car in Finland so you can show that you are or are not the owner of the car (in which case there will be checks made if you look suspicious). Although the last step is large redundant now for same reasons as why the insurance cert doesn't actually proove anything.

Back in the day the Finnish VLC equivalent actually had a space where you stuck the proof of insurance sticker. The windscreen also had a sticker for tax. Sweden had a yearly sticker on the number plate for the motor tax. But all of the above have been removed as redundant as there are better ways. And that's why the UK cars don't carry discs anymore either. As somebody here mentioned they could check online that the UK reg car didn't have a valid test for ages. That shows the system works even across the borders and the gardai could have done the same for that car if they so chose to.

Theyd be stolen or defaced out of poor malice here though, obviously worked in those countries back then, not sure about now.

Spain and Italy clearly require it. France is a bit of a grey area but the consensus is that if asked and you don’t have ID then you will get serious hassle.

https://www.spanishsolutions.net/legal-issues-in-spain/carrying-id-in-spain/

That I’m not carrying an official ID of which a passport is the only one we have in Ireland due to not having ID cards. I was very nearly refused access to a meeting in France once for not having a photo ID, the type of thing you would not be asked for ID in a million years for in Ireland. I’m not joking when I say the person could not fathom how I’d walk around without a photo ID.

Dont we have passport ID credit card sized versions? thought I heard you could get them? and we have national drivers licences CC style/size.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

1874 wrote: »
    Dont we have passport ID credit card sized versions? thought I heard you could get them? and we have national drivers licences CC style/size.

Yeah we have passport cards that you can get when you renew your passport, they're valid for EU travel

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

1874 wrote: »
    Yeah we have passport cards that you can get when you renew your passport, they're valid for EU travel

Yea, passport cards are good. I have one myself and happy with it.

However while they are good for EU travel, but they'll be no good if you attend public offices like social welfare or NDLS where you need your social services card. This card however is no good for EU travel.
    And if you go to your bank, they might ask you for passport or driving licence, and won't accept passport card or social services card.

In short it would be so much simpler to have national ID's issue like most countries in the EU do, where one document would be good for all above mentioned purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Spain and Italy clearly require it. France is a bit of a grey area but the consensus is that if asked and you don’t have ID then you will get serious hassle.

https://www.spanishsolutions.net/legal-issues-in-spain/carrying-id-in-spain/

That I’m not carrying an official ID of which a passport is the only one we have in Ireland due to not having ID cards. I was very nearly refused access to a meeting in France once for not having a photo ID, the type of thing you would not be asked for ID in a million years for in Ireland. I’m not joking when I say the person could not fathom how I’d walk around without a photo ID.

Well I stand corrected.
    I wasn't aware of those requirements in Spain. Seems ridiculous. Probably a leftover law after Franco.

In Poland since communism is gone, there's no need to carry your ID.
    Indeed national ID's are issued, and they are needed for identification purposes if you attend public office services, social welfare, or in banks, etc...
    But no need to carry it with you at all times. That would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Very simple to check to see if a car is taxed and has a valid MOT in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Driving your vehicle in Ireland requires you to display relevant discs(Insurance, tax, and maybe NCT). However, I find it crazy that cars on UK plates can drive around without any visual proof of insurance/tax/MOT. Where I could purchase a car up North, and street park it in Dublin without any valid documents, as no one is the wiser.

Is it required by law in England to produce proof of insurance/tax/MOT at a checkpoint, as UK has the ANPR system which checks this automatically. If insurance/tax/MOT in UK are all digitized, then are they issuing paper documents for showing when at a checkpoint?

Why haven’t Ireland brought in the ANPR system, which would see a decrease in the amount of time the Gardai spend at checkpoints(checking for tax/NCT).

Same way you can park your Irish car in Europe, remove all the discs and just pay your parking fee and that's it. Nobody in Ireland cares if the UK car is taxed, and apart from Ireland there is very few countries with insurance etc visible.

It's like asking for logbook to be visible too so the authorities know it isn't stolen.

Anpr only works for state registered vehicles so anything foreign in any country would need to be stopped by police to have it checkedm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Del2005 wrote: »
    No system is fool proof and having an instant knowledge of whether a vehicle is insured or not is a start. Even the EU way of insuring the car still requires the police to check the person driving has a licence, so that's useless system also.

We don't insure vehicles. We insure people to drive said vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

CiniO wrote: »
    Yea, passport cards are good. I have one myself and happy with it.

However while they are good for EU travel, but they'll be no good if you attend public offices like social welfare or NDLS where you need your social services card. This card however is no good for EU travel.
    And if you go to your bank, they might ask you for passport or driving licence, and won't accept passport card or social services card.

In short it would be so much simpler to have national ID's issue like most countries in the EU do, where one document would be good for all above mentioned purposes.

Im fairly sure this was done away with, at least as a requirement

"In February of 2018 the Road Safey Authority said that from April 2018 all applicants for a licence would need a PSC but this was later changed. Now, when applying for your licence in person you can choose to use your PSC or another form of ID. If you are not using a PSC you must bring photo ID, evidence of your PPSN, evidence of address and evidence of residency entitlement to your appointment instead."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

CiniO wrote: »
    Out of curiosity where did you hear about mandatory requirement to carry identification.

I agree it was the case during communism times in eastern bloc countries, but haven't heard of any country in EU requiring it nowadays.

Netherlands is a 60 euro on the spot fine if you don't have ID when asked to produce.

Only Dutch Driving license, National Identity card or Passport is valid.

In Germany the police will hold you until you can produce it (which is a bit of a problem if it's far away in another country)

France and Belgium I would not chance it :) Belgium is really strict ever since the attacks in Brussels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

redcup342 wrote: »
    Netherlands is a 60 euro on the spot fine if you don't have ID when asked to produce.

Only Dutch Driving license, National Identity card or Passport is valid.

In Germany the police will hold you until you can produce it (which is a bit of a problem if it's far away in another country)

France and Belgium I would not chance it :) Belgium is really strict ever since the attacks in Brussels

I wonder is there an equivalent of 'Boards' in these countries, where the locals can vent their anger and rant

"Why can't we be more like IRELAND, where they don't even have licences to produce"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

The grass is always greener on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

swarlb wrote: »
    I wonder is there an equivalent of 'Boards' in these countries, where the locals can vent their anger and rant

"Why can't we be more like IRELAND, where they don't even have licences to produce"

Most Dutch and German don't really know the difference between the UK and Ireland (not up until the last 2 years anyway) and frankly they wouldn't really interested.

The Belgians, Dutch, Germans and French constantly complain about how the grass is greener in the other place.

They all only notice the other countries best things and don't pay any attentions to the downsides ;)

In general though, stuff that you would see as an invasion of privacy the Continentals are fine with.

A bit off topic but:

In Holland if you are sick from work a Doctor can turn up randomly at your house to see if you are really sick. (I had this once and he told me I was fine to go to work as I could answer the front door)

After you register and the city hall in Belgium the Police will call to your house unannounced to check if you really live there and if other people are living there.

In Germany the local chimney sweep has to be allowed to enter your property, he even has rights to force his way in if you open the door. If you don't open the door he'll report you to the local city hall and you'll get a massive fine :pac:

In Ireland you can do whatever you bloody like :pac:

Advertisement