Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Say something nice about AGS

• 21-02-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

They are the first line of defense from chaos

They are the only dependable people you will ring when you are in trouble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

They all have lovely bottoms.

They are the first line of defense from chaos

They are the only dependable people you will ring when you are in trouble

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Better than many other police forces, and going in the right direction under new management.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

The time they surprised those armed robbers in a post office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Better than many other police forces,

Enlighten me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They are mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons and daughters of people just like us. They do a job to put food on their family table just like us.
    Of course there are rotten eggs there and there always will be. But at the end of the day. They are still human.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

They're human beings going out to do a job most of us wouldn't even dream of doing. They don't get anywhere near enough respect for what they do and most of the people giving out about them are scum anyway.

If you don't do anything illegal, you wont have any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

They're not the RUC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Except McBrearty

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

They are the reason our prisons and courthouses are completely jam packed every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Enlighten me?
    It might be good if Irish people lived in the third world for a few years.

I spent two years in Africa many years ago.
    Poached meat and other poached items were brought to the main police station in the capital.
    It would be evidence to support charges against high ranking people, I assume politicians.
    On the Monday no evidence remained in the police station. Case dismissed.

If you were stopped at a checkpoint you would get through a lot quicker if you had a few packets of cigarettes or bottles of beer that you no longer needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Some of them are genuinely heroic like this poor lad who died in the October 2011 flooding whilst helping motorists:

https://www.garda.ie/en/About-Us/Our-History/Roll-of-Honour/Roll-of-Honour-description/Jones-Ciaran.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They do seem to solve murders (when they have a body) quite well.

Cannot comment on local policing. Guessing it is not great.

There seems to be a bit of momentum re the Traveller Gangs around the country along with the CAB.

Gangland is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So law abiding citizens shouldn't have any problems with corruption or Garda malpractice or the way they treated Maurice McCabe. Also people who were victims of crime who were let down by them for their delayed response or the failure of them to pursue justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

I like that if I'm in some kind of mis-understanding or fu¢k up in some way, I'll never have to worry about getting shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They're human beings going out to do a job most of us wouldn't even dream of doing. They don't get anywhere near enough respect for what they do and most of the people giving out about them are scum anyway.

Problem is that the victims are those who actually suffer, even though they have done nothing wrong. Gardai need to look after these people also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The vast majority are good honourable people doing the job for the right reasons.

I view Policing as a vocation like nursing . You have to be 100 per cent committed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

They help alot of people. Everyday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Frontline AGS do a dangerous job often in very difficult circumstances with resources stretched to the limit and receive very little thanks for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Some of them are rides in their uniforms

Having worked with them I appreciate all that the do for little reward. Some slimy lawyer getting his little scrote off on a technicality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

They're a pretty good police force and the fact that they do the vast majority of their policing totally unarmed is something to be proud of when you compare it to the rise of ever more trigger happy, authoritarian policing in places like the US.

I generally fine the Gardai approachable, friendly and reasonable to deal with.

They have their problems as an organisation, but I think things are finally moving in a better direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,143 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've had very little dealing with them apart from running into them the odd time. They are easily avoided if you behave yourself. They've to put up with a lot of crap and abuse especially with people trying to get there sixty seconds of fame online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Good man, your the kind they love , easily pleased and no matter how much scandal is revealed, you cling to the smug notion that only ner do wells have anything to fear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Good man, your the kind they love , easily pleased and no matter how much scandal is revealed, you cling to the smug notion that only ner do wells have anything to fear

No, dya know what I absolutely hate? People giving out about guards not doing their jobs because they set up checkpoints on the roads, how dare they try to catch people driving illegally? Go and catch all the murderers and "proper" criminals instead is the usual line that gets spouted and its really pisses me off.

The vast majority are good honourable people doing the job for the right reasons.

I view Policing as a vocation like nursing . You have to be 100 per cent committed to it.

The vast majority are clock punchers, in it for a solid wage and great early pension, a minority are vocational in their desire to serve and a minority are out and out scumbags, most will do you no harm but have little interest in inconveniencing themselves in anyway

I had two uncles in the guards and one grandfather, I've no time for the org as its riddled with corruption, how willing they are to help depends on who is doing the complaining and who is being complained about, find yourself in dispute with someone who has friends high up in AGS and your life gets made very uncomfortable and your eyes are opened to the level of politics which riddles the force

No, dya know what I absolutely hate? People giving out about guards not doing their jobs because they set up checkpoints on the roads, how dare they try to catch people driving illegally? Go and catch all the murderers and "proper" criminals instead is the usual line that gets spouted and its really pisses me off.

People bitch about lots of things, gormless people smugly assume that if someone has a negative view of the guards, they lack respectability, to like the guards is ergo to be respectable

Simplistic people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Enlighten me?
    Oh you know, police forces throughout Latin America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe.
    So law abiding citizens shouldn't have any problems with corruption or Garda malpractice or the way they treated Maurice McCabe. Also people who were victims of crime who were let down by them for their delayed response or the failure of them to pursue justice.
    What people are able to do though is distinguish the non crooked ones (the vast majority) from the crooked minority. I know there shouldn't be any crooked minority at all, of course, but I think it's grossly unfair the way people happily smear the whole lot of them.

They are one of the emergency services and they have to deal with terrible things that thankfully the rest of us don't, because of them. Their behind-the-scenes work is not known about, only the stuff that makes it into the news. And they have limited resources, compounded by the frustration of a joke of a crazily lenient criminal justice system.

Yes I know they know that when they enter the force, but somebody has to, and I'm glad it's someone else instead of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm sure most are grand but I've met one or two that make me trust the whole organisation less.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭youcantakethat

Same as in all English speaking countries, most are sound enough and if you behave within the law and do not give cheek they are fine. I have been to a few African and Asian countries though where I would not have full confidence in their forces.

• Advertisement

Oh you know, police forces throughout Latin America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe.

What people are able to do though is distinguish the non crooked ones (the vast majority) from the crooked minority. I know there shouldn't be any crooked minority at all, of course, but I think it's grossly unfair the way people happily smear the whole lot of them.

They are one of the emergency services and they have to deal with terrible things that thankfully the rest of us don't, because of them. Their behind-the-scenes work is not known about, only the stuff that makes it into the news. And they have limited resources, compounded by the frustration of a joke of a crazily lenient criminal justice system.

Yes I know they know that when they enter the force, but somebody has to, and I'm glad it's someone else instead of me.

If the vast majority were not crooked, Maurice mccabe would not have had to plough a lonely furrow for years, the vast majority get in line and support the culture of the force

Advertisement