Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say something nice about AGS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

With a comment like that though, you're being as bad as people who say those who are highly critical of the guards are likely to be scumbags.

It's not a case of one or the other. You can be someone who sees that most guards are not corrupt and also someone who questions wrongdoing by those in authority.

I recognise the kind of poster who gormlessly labels police critics as having chips on their shoulder etc

It's a smug way of saying I'm more respectable than you.

The specific issue of garda corruption is entirely irrelevant,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

myshirt wrote: »
    They all have lovely bottoms.

Jesus, thats weird. When i saw the thread title i thought exactly the same thing and came here to post it. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Anyhow this thread is about "Say something nice about AGS" so here goes.

They ensure that Tribunal lawyers are never unemployed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

They are the first line of defense from chaos

They are the only dependable people you will ring when you are in trouble

There are plenty of people who will tell you differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

They're handy if you need an insurance form filled in after you've been robbed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

randd1 wrote: »
    She simply said "have any of ye had to pick up a limb off the road after a car accident? I have. I don't want to do it again". We went a bit quiet after that.

Hmmmmmm.

I'm pretty sure it's the lad and ladies in the fire brigade that get tasked with that horror.

But sure tis a good story for the pub all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Unfortunately the reason policing tends to have issues everywhere in the world is to do with the exact nature of the job itself. Douglas Adams once wrote (paraphrasing here) that those who actually enjoy wielding power tend to be those least suited to wielding it. Every police force (or security company, or bouncer job, or indeed government itself) will attract a certain number of megalomaniacs - in other words, people who enjoy or get pleasure from having power and being in a position of authority over other people. Megalomaniacs are almost always absolute scumbags to interact with, and unfortunately they gravitate towards careers which will satisfy their megalomania.

The ideal cop (or other position of authority, fill in as ye will) is someone who doesn't like having authority over others and does it reluctantly, because it has to be done in certain circumstances. But ideally someone who inherently dislikes being in a position to coerce behaviour from other people. Too many people in positions of authority are the opposite - they derive enjoyment from telling other people what to do, and in my opinion, most people who derive enjoyment from doing this in their day to day lives tend to be all around nasty people and assholes. It takes a very f*cked up and twisted mind to actually enjoy seeing people doing things they don't want to do just because you have the power to make them do it, and yet people like this make up a huge proportion of people with power. Hence one of the biggest reasons society in general is so messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They're human beings going out to do a job most of us wouldn't even dream of doing. They don't get anywhere near enough respect for what they do and most of the people giving out about them are scum anyway.

If you don't do anything illegal, you wont have any problems with them.

I think someone reminded you of Maurice McCabe.
    Also just ask any publican that didn't let some of them in after hours for a few drinks.
    It might be good if Irish people lived in the third world for a few years.

Why do we always have to compare ourselves to the worst?
    Is it to make ourselves feel all superior ?

Aim low and you will always miss the point and never improve.

The AGS is like with the HSE.

There are some very good hardworking people in there doing some awful jobs with not great support and lack of resources,
    but
    there are some incompetent, inept, clock punchers waiting for their pensions and downright nasty ones too.

Oh and the organisation stinks and needs to be totally reformed.

Seems to be a bit of a trend in the Irish public sector. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Gardai have a new Commissioner now who is starting to cut out the dead wood and hopefully will steer and force in the right direction, and.....

...some of the motorcycle cops are very hot in their skintight leather outfits. Ooh yeah! ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Starting monday if every Gardai was drug tested as the came on duty how many do you think we'd be left with by fri?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

El_Bee wrote: »
    Starting monday if every Gardai was drug tested as the came on duty how many do you think we'd be left with by fri?

Drug tests?

2.1 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

not really nice but they should be armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The vast majority are clock punchers, in it for a solid wage and great early pension, a minority are vocational in their desire to serve and a minority are out and out scumbags, most will do you no harm but have little interest in inconveniencing themselves in anyway

I had two uncles in the guards and one grandfather, I've no time for the org as its riddled with corruption, how willing they are to help depends on who is doing the complaining and who is being complained about, find yourself in dispute with someone who has friends high up in AGS and your life gets made very uncomfortable and your eyes are opened to the level of politics which riddles the force

Lad, if this post isn't the definition of chip on your shoulder, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The vast majority are clock punchers, in it for a solid wage and great early pension, a minority are vocational in their desire to serve and a minority are out and out scumbags, most will do you no harm but have little interest in inconveniencing themselves in anyway

I had two uncles in the guards and one grandfather, I've no time for the org as its riddled with corruption, how willing they are to help depends on who is doing the complaining and who is being complained about, find yourself in dispute with someone who has friends high up in AGS and your life gets made very uncomfortable and your eyes are opened to the level of politics which riddles the force

And still you failed the entry exam!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Having been a juror on a long case in the not too distant past, you get a great insight into their procedures and how they work. In addition to that when they are on the stand being cross examined you get a good idea of them as a professional on an individual level too, and I saw both sides. Some complete and utter goobers who very likely needed velcro shoes as I would have trouble trusting them to tie their own laces. But on the other hand there are some extremely competent, professional and Impressive Gardai who you can tell are very very good at their jobs.

I hope the earlier posts saying that they are moving in the right direction under new management are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭opfleet

Why is there such an obsession with out Police Force in this country? When a Garda is out and about everyone just stares at them...I was in Berlin last week and there was about 15 Cops standing around the town. No one battled an eyelid with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Possibly because they have become such a rare sight due to the recruitment moratorium a few years back.

Edgware wrote: »
    And still you failed the entry exam!

Good man, good work, carry on contented

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

opfleet wrote: »
    Why is there such an obsession with out Police Force in this country? When a Garda is out and about everyone just stares at them...I was in Berlin last week and there was about 15 Cops standing around the town. No one battled an eyelid with them.

Because seeing a Garda on the street is a rare sight as there's so few of them apparently or maybe they're mostly in cars and not on foot which should be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I have to interact with them a fair bit in work (our CCTV faces out onto a busy road) and they've never been anything less than completely and utterly professional and polite. Same on the few occasions we've had to ring them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

I have had good and bad experiences with them but I feel the good outweighs the bad.

The good story is lovely actually. We once had a bike and a rabbit (hutch and all) robbed from the back garden and we had a fair idea who had taken it. The guards went to there house, couldn't find the bike but they returned with the rabbit (hutch and all) in the back of their car. Made my kids so happy, fair play to them, thought it was above and beyond.

On the bad side I was pulled over by one guy on a bike because I didn't have the seat belt on (I was just recovered from a broken collar bone so it was too painful), I didn't have any tax at the time because I was unemployed (I know, I know it's against the law), anyway he proceeded to check my licence and insurance and rang in to check if they were both valid (which they were), seized the car, I was miles away from the compound in a new city where I'd no friends or family and had to borrow the money from a local charity to get a taxi to the compound and pay the fine to drive the car out again.

By the way I drove that car out with no tax so what had he achieved exactly except to cost me a fortune?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

The newer lads and lassies are very professional and mannerly to go along with the professionalism, much more so than the older crew.

Only thing is, this professional and mannerly way can seem cold and flat and not conducive to community based policing.

The police need to be known and familiar to the community they are policing. Being too familiar can result in underhand favours like what happened before.

But you need some familiarity to the community you are watching over. A proper balance. Most of the people are decent in our community. Most of the Gards too.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    not really nice but they should be armed.

If they're armed , will they become nice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The Gardaí have a tough job and the ones I’ve met have all been very nice.

BBFAN wrote: »
    .On the bad side I was pulled over by one guy on a bike because I didn't have the seat belt on (I was just recovered from a broken collar bone so it was too painful), I didn't have any tax at the time because I was unemployed (I know, I know it's against the law), anyway he proceeded to check my licence and insurance and rang in to check if they were both valid (which they were), seized the car, I was miles away from the compound in a new city where I'd no friends or family and had to borrow the money from a local charity to get a taxi to the compound and pay the fine to drive the car out again.

By the way I drove that car out with no tax so what had he achieved exactly except to cost me a fortune?

You managed to get the money to pay for impound charge and a taxi. You could have just taxed it and saved yourself the trouble instead.

Driving without a seatbelt and then acting like a victim when stopped and also found to have no tax.. get up out of it.

There’s something nice about Gardai. They deal with fools every day and still get up and go to work doing a job entitled arseholes wouldn’t do for twice the pay and half the hours. The Gardai are generally decent people. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

JayZeus wrote: »
    You managed to get the money to pay for impound charge and a taxi. You could have just taxed it and saved yourself the trouble instead.

Driving without a seatbelt and then acting like a victim when stopped and also found to have no tax.. get up out of it.

There’s something nice about Gardai. They deal with fools every day and still get up and go to work doing a job entitled arseholes wouldn’t do for twice the pay and half the hours. The Gardai are generally decent people. Fair play to them.

Did you read my post? I borrowed the money from a charity.

Fair play you up on your high horse there though. :rolleyes:

BBFAN wrote: »
    Did you read my post? I borrowed the money from a charity.

Fair play you up on your high horse there though. :rolleyes:

I read your post alright. You should have borrowed it to tax your car like the rest of us and you should wear your seatbelt like the rest of us too. And if you can’t, leave the car parked until you can afford it.

I usually find the people who give it the ‘high horse’ response on these threads when somebody points out how ridiculous their argument is, they are very often the people with the biggest victim complex, chip on their shoulder and weirdly inappropriate sense of entitlement.

That Garda was dead on. No seatbelt, no tax and whinging about being unemployed and can’t afford the tax because the free money isn’t enough to, etc. Yeah, fair play to that Garda. He did right by me and anyone else who taxes their car or leaves it at home when they can’t afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

opfleet wrote: »

Because it's so f*cking rare to actually see one in the flesh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Brother is a Garda, we are so proud of him. He is one of the good guys, honestly saying not because he is my brother, I guess he sees it as a vocation as some have said here.

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    I read your post alright. You should have borrowed it to tax your car like the rest of us and you should wear your seatbelt like the rest of us too. And if you can’t, leave the car parked until you can afford it.

I usually find the people who give it the ‘high horse’ response on these threads when somebody points out how ridiculous their argument is, they are very often the people with the biggest victim complex, chip on their shoulder and weirdly inappropriate sense of entitlement.

That Garda was dead on. No seatbelt, no tax and whinging about being unemployed and can’t afford the tax because the free money isn’t enough to, etc. Yeah, fair play to that Garda. He did right by me and anyone else who taxes their car or leaves it at home when they can’t afford it.

So you think most situations like the above ( no motor tax + no seat belt) result in the drivers car being impounded and the owner left on foot?

I don't have any quarrel with a summons for either offense as I'm a stickler for seat belts myself but having the vehicle taken off you is not the norm in those circumstances

Advertisement