Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Impossible Burger 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If Bill Gates has his way all live stock farmers could be in trouble, the mission is to remove animals from the food chain by 2035. He's impossible brand is about to launch a steak and the impossible burger 2.0 was one of the stars of CES 2019 last month it won Engadget’s “Most Unexpected Product,” “Most Impactful Product,” and “Best of the Best”.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidebanis/2019/01/11/the-new-impossible-burger-2-0-won-everyones-mouth-at-ces-2019-but-thats-just-the-beginning/#457fab1227c4

This just a vegans wet dream.

Vast amounts of chemicals and power replied it’s actually worse for the environment than pasture reared beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

_Brian wrote: »
    This just a vegans wet dream.

Vast amounts of chemicals and power replied it’s actually worse for the environment than pasture reared beef.

It's not worse for the environment, uses a fraction of the resources. I'm not a vegetarian but the new 2.0. Burger looks good nobody could tell it wasn't beef. It can be used in the same way beef is.
    The guys behind this aren't lightweights bill gates and the former CEO of MC Donald's. These and beyond burgers are in thousands of restraunts already and the impossible burger is hitting super markets in the US in the next few weeks.
    I'd like to try it just to cut down on the amount of meat I eat, the old one was meant to be a bit like sawdust but not this one it even bleeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's not worse for the environment, uses a fraction of the resources. I'm not a vegetarian but the new 2.0. Burger looks good nobody could tell it wasn't beef. It can be used in the same way beef is.
    The guys behind this aren't lightweights bill gates and the former CEO of MC Donald's. These and beyond burgers are in thousands of restraunts already and the impossible burger is hitting super markets in the US in the next few weeks. I'd like to try it just to cut down on the amount of meat I eat, the old one was meant to be a bit like sawdust but not this one it even bleeds.

Hate to burst the bubble but I tried one of those ' Beyond Burgers' at a friend's house as I'll try anything at least once! Wasn't impressed tbh. The first thing that struck me was taste - it was neither a 'veggie' burger or a 'meat' burger. Wouldn't bother trying it again tbh.

But what really put me off was the ingredient list. It's mainly just highly procesed junk imo.
    Water, Pea Protein Isolate* (18%), Rapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Flavouring, Smoke Flavouring, Stabilisers - Cellulose, Methylcellulose, Gum Arabic, Potato Starch, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Dried Yeast, Antioxidants - Ascorbic Acid, Acetic Acid, Colour - Beetroot Red, Modified Corn Starch, Apple Extract, Lemon Juice Concentrate,

Link to image of packaging - zoom in to see detail.
    https://i.imgur.com/eoExYcs.jpg

Also noted the 'burgers' were "packed in the UK using ...Patties from the USA" that's more air miles than aer lingus.

Yeah its backed by big money - but tbh investment whores like that will put their money in anything which will make a tidy profit especially where the hype is it's a product made out to be 'healthy' or 'good'for the environment and all the hipsters are falling over themselves to look more with it than the other eejits.

So no not 'good' for the enviroment by any stretch of the imagination. Importing junk food when we can source sustainable beef produced to high standards from our own fields is a laugh tbh ...

Here's an interesting article about the "impossible burger"

https://www.gmwatch.org/en/news/latest-news/18498-a-misguided-experiment

gozunda wrote: »
    Hate to burst the bubble but I tried one of those ' Beyond Burgers' at a friend's house as I'll try anything at least once! Wasn't impressed tbh.

Here's an interesting article about the "impossible burger"

Talking about the impossible burger 2.0 not the old impossible burger or beyond burgers.
    Different ingredients to the article your linked to.
    If they nail the texture, taste, smell and versatility of beef it's possible consumers will switch especially if it's cheaper and they can't tell the difference.
    The steak is on the way and chicken, fish, pork etc.

I'm not in away anti beef but I look the look of that burger and the reviews all agree you can't tell the difference.
    The world does need an alternative to meat that's exactly like meat.

Talking about the impossible burger 2.0 not the old impossible burger or beyond burgers.
    Different ingredients to the article your linked to.
    If they nail the texture, taste, smell and versatility of beef it's possible consumers will switch especially if it's cheaper and they can't tell the difference. The steak is on the way and chicken, fish, pork etc.
    I'm not in away anti beef but I look the look of that burger and the reviews all agree you can't tell the difference. The world does need an alternative to meat that's exactly like meat.

Oh would ya fek away off with rubbish that's sounding like the promotions unit for "impossible burger inc"

Afaik the controversial genetically modified stuff detailed in the article linked is in all those products you listed.

The world needs an alternative to meat like we needed an alternative to butter back in the 1970s when they came up highly processed hydrogenated fat glulp. Interestingly one of the many alternatives to butter 'I cant believe it's not putter" and do you know what I couldn't believe that anyone would be fooled into thinking that somehow that stuff was the same as butter. Well it wasn't. It is interesting that years later some of these products have been shown to be downright harmful.

We do have an alternative to meat - its called vegetables. But hey nothing like pushing mass produced junk food and flying it around the world as pushed by mega corporations looking to make a buck.

The single biggest environmental issue at this time is transport and the use of fossil fuels. If you really want to make a huge difference then cut down on your use of transport and fossil fuels and imported foods and forget about flying off each year for a holiday abroad - as a single transatlantic flight will cause more damage to the environment than eating locally produced meat or dairy products for a year.

And dont believe everything big business tells you ..

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/margarine-no-longer-melting-in-quite-so-many-mouths-1.3043672

• Advertisement

It's not worse for the environment, .

https://www.technologyreview.com/the-download/612990/lab-grown-meat-could-be-worse-for-the-environment-than-beef/

Experts from MIT and Oxford University seem to be disagreeing with you on this. Cattle farming is suffering a disproportionate bad press because of failed methods of balancing emissions against sequestering, then this issue is sorted indoibt lab grown “food” (not meat) will fair even worse.

This nothing more but an industry trying to hack into the vegan train and industrialise food production without dirty farmers and farming getting in the way.

Who on earth thinks chemically grown food is more preferable than traditionally produced food, humans are doomed if we become bamboozled by stuff like this because some rich bloke is recommending it, so he can make money of it. .

That's lab gown meat a different thing entirely. This isn't pitched at vegans.
    Your kinda being a bit too dismissive of it, could go as far as saying you think it's impossible.

That's lab gown meat a different thing entirely. This isn't pitched at vegans.
    Your kinda being a bit too dismissive of it, could go as far as saying you think it's impossible.

Just to be absolutely clear.

I’m completely dismissing the environmental and moral stance on lab grown food. It’s been long long proven that the more artificial processing that is done to our food the less nutritious it becomes and the less healthy people are as a result of eating it.

Make no mistake that commercial entities are into this as it gives them complete control over food.

Our fruit and veg should come from farms as close to where we live, we should be buying it fresh and cooking it ourselves from its original form.

Our meat should be farmed locally, killed locally and as much as possible we should be buying it as cuts of meat. Butchers will mince a cut of meat on the spot. Of most butchers make burgers etc on site.

Mass production and lab growing food is bad for humans but really good for business. It’s bad for the environment, much worse that traditional farming methods.

In the same breath I think feedlots for beef should be banned because of the commercial nature of the production it supports.

I hear you and I'd agree with most of it. This isn't lab grown meat though which you keep going back to, if you had of asked me a month ago I'd say the same as you but after seeing how this is made as opposed to people trying to grow meat it looks like there on to something.
    The first burger you knew it wasn't a burger this 2.0 version you don't know and it doesn't have anywhere near the impact of standard beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I hear you and I'd agree with most of it. This isn't lab grown meat though which you keep going back to, if you had of asked me a month ago I'd say the same as you but after seeing how this is made as opposed to people trying to grow meat it looks like there on to something.
    The first burger you knew it wasn't a burger this 2.0 version you don't know and it doesn't have anywhere near the impact of standard beef.

and all confirmed by that totally legitimate serious reporter at the end. I'm sold! where can I get some???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've heard the Impossible Burger is delicious. Apparently the Ascorbic Acid and Acetic Acid give an amazing aftertaste.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    and all confirmed by that totally legitimate serious reporter at the end. I'm sold! where can I get some???

Ah come.on this scooped loads or awards at CES a few weeks ago. Bill Gates is funding it. He hasn't been after profit for years.

I've heard the Impossible Burger is delicious. Apparently the Ascorbic Acid and Acetic Acid give an amazing aftertaste.

Like sawdust apparently, the 2.0 version was just released you haven't tried it. You had the same as Jeremy.

Ah come.on this scooped loads or awards at CES a few weeks ago. Bill Gates is funding it. He hasn't been after profit for years.

You’ve probably noticed I’ve a pure destabilise for excessively processed foods, this would definitely be in that classification of um necessary food.

Constantly saying it Must be great because Bill Gates is involved means nothing amd of anything is a negative for me.

Also, is CES not a technology thing, hardly a ground for food awards.

I’d rarely eat a burger, and they are nearly all produced at local butcher where I slaw local farmers bringing in heifers for slaughter behind the shop.

Why in the name of God would anyone promote a product made in the US and packaged in the UK as something better than locally sourced high quality meat?

I dont care if the Pope is pushing it ( though apparently some other corporation flogging plant based products are trying to corner the marketing potential of the Vatican at al). Corporations have no ones welfare in mind
    We are being sold highly processed crap riding on the back of an anti-animal agriculture agenda.

And I notice the 'new' recipe has soy protein instead of wheat protein. Oh joy for the worlds rainforests....

Here's some interesting reading about who is pushing this type of ****e and why

https://www.mouthymoney.co.uk/how-vegan-evangelists-are-propping-up-the-ultra-processed-food-industry/

More about the other current product 'beyond burger'

https://ancestral-nutrition.com/beyond-meat-is-beyond-unhealthy/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

The impossible burger 2.0 sounds like a great idea but what happens to all the cattle if we just switch to artificial beef?

Slaughter them all or let them loose?

Topic was moved to it's own thread

So the comment which was here is kinda redundant :(

We need to be pushing people back to basics of, local produce, food prep and home cooking.
    There is a serious addenda that ANYTHING non animal based is better. This simply isn’t true, it’s an outright lie but it’s being pushed by the extreme vegan brigade on one side and massive corporations on the other.

Rory28 wrote: »
    The impossible burger 2.0 sounds like a great idea but what happens to all the cattle if we just switch to artificial beef?

Slaughter them all or let them loose?

It sounds like a terrible idea, more overprocessed muck full of salt, sugar and god knows what list of ingredients, this is the rubbish killing people while pretending to be a “healthy” “ethical” alternative to meat.

What's in the local butcher's burgers 4 for €5 that are delivered in the back of a transit? There must be additives and fillers.

Here's the impossible burger.

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12

I don't see any Sugar there, and I don't think you can talk about meat without salt, what's the saying when cooking, when you think you've used enough salt add some more. It's the way I cook anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What's in the local butcher's burgers 4 for €5 that are delivered in the back of a transit? There must be additives and fillers.

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12

I don't see any Sugar there, and I don't think you can talk about meat without salt, what's the saying when cooking, when you think you've used enough salt add some more. It's the way I cook anyway.

Methylcellulose = Wallpaper paste.

With all that tinkering before you even eat the thing doesn't make that "food" very appealing.

Never be convinced these are anything but overprocessed muck, like lots of burgers.
    99% of the meat we eat is cuts of meat.

Processed foods like the one your recommending are bad for people’s health. Lots of stuff added to make it palatable doesn’t mean it’s good for you.

The reliance on super processed foods is a sad development, we’ve lost so much of our food culture if people think processed foods are acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Here's what's in my burger that I just had for supper.

Water, porridge, minced meat from a heifer killed last summer.

Significantly shorter ingredient list there, I'm sure you'll agree.

And bloody (pun intended) delicious.

Here's what's in my burger that I just had for supper.

Water, porridge, minced meat from a heifer killed last summer.

Significantly shorter ingredient list there, I'm sure you'll agree.

And bloody (pun intended) delicious.

Now THAT is a burger worthy of a fellas time. Mr Microsoft can eff off with his real d pretend foods.

It’s betrer for the environment, better for the humans and doesn’t line the pockets of big business.

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose,* Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin**, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12I don't see any Sugar there, and I don't think you can talk about meat without salt, what's the saying when cooking, when you think you've used enough salt add some more. It's the way I cook anyway.

Drunk monkey for someone claiming to be neither veg*n thats a helluva lot of pushing for a particular product (btw and I'm not saying you are) And I gather you haven't even tasted one yet?????

As to your white van scenario - What if the Michael D Higgins is the Pope? My local butcher makes his own burgers on the premises - you can watch him make them and he will stand over their quality.

The impossible burger not only contains a mixture of highly processed additives and Soy - it also contains a controversial genetically modified ingredient** which interestingly you've not called out in the Ingredient list above but is discussed on their website where they gloss over much of the relevant issues. I posted the link to this earlier. Perhaps you had better read that first? .

Btw this product has to be flown half way around the world to get here. Its made from Soy - a product not without it's own controversies regarding herbicide use and the destruction of forests and your still pushing it?

I have to ask Why?

*Dextrose is an processed sweetener (sugar) derived from corn btw

**Soy leghemoglobin (SLH), a protein that's never before been in the human food supply and produced in GM yeast. 

See: https://www.gmwatch.org/en/news/latest-news/18498-a-misguided-experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Drunk monkey for someone claiming to be neither vegan nor vegetarian thats a helluva lot of pushing for a particular product (btw and I'm not saying you are) And I gather you haven't even tasted one yet?????

As to your white van scenario - What if the Michael D Higgins is the Pope? My local butcher makes his own burgers on the premises - you can watch him make them and he will stand over their quality.

The impossible burger not only contains a mixture of highly processed additives and Soy - it also contains a controversial genetically modified ingredient** which interestingly you've not called out in the Ingredient list above but is discussed on their website where they gloss over much of the relevant issues. I posted the link to this earlier. Perhaps you had better read that first? .

Btw this product has to be flown half way around the world to get here. Its made from Soy - a product not without it's own controversies regarding herbicide use and the destruction of forests and your still pushing it?

I have to ask Why?

*Dextrose is an processed sweetener (sugar) derived from corn btw

**Soy leghemoglobin (SLH), a protein that's never before been in the human food supply and produced in GM yeast. 

See: https://www.gmwatch.org/en/news/latest-news/18498-a-misguided-experiment

He’s probably a closet vegan

That ingredient your referring to Heme? The one pumping oxygen around your blood? Bad for you? Not likely.

I'm not pushing it but I can see where it has a place in the food chain. It's been completely dismissed here for not factually accurate reason though.

A lot seems of the debate seems to be about how bad it is for you and the environment. Meat production isn't exactly the best thing for the environment ether. We use plants to make animals into meat, making plants into meat is a lot more sustainable.

As for nutrition..

The 2.0

Nutrition Facts
    Serving size4 oz. (113g)

Amount per serving
    Calories240
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat14g 18%
    Saturated Fat8g 40%
    Trans Fat0g
    Cholesterol0mg 0%
    Sodium370mg 16%
    Total Carbohydrate9g 3%
    Dietary Fiber3g 11%
    Total Sugars<1g
    Includes<1g Added Sugars 1%
    Protein19g 31%
    Vitamin D0mcg 0%
    Calcium170mg 15%
    Iron4.2mg 25%
    Potassium610mg 15%
    Thiamin28.2mg 2350%
    Riboflavin0.4mg 30%
    Niacin5.3mg 35%
    Vitamin B60.4mg 25%
    Folate115mcg DFE 30%
    Vitamin B123mcg 130%
    Phosphorus180mg 15%
    Zinc5.5mg 50%
    * The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.

Standard burger

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size:
    burger (113g grams)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 153
    Calories 240
    % Daily Value*
    26%Total Fat 17g grams
    35% Saturated Fat 7g grams
    Trans Fat 1g grams
    28%Cholesterol 85mg milligrams
    4%Sodium 90mg milligrams
    9%Potassium 330mg milligrams
    0%Total Carbohydrates 0g grams
    0% Dietary Fiber 0g grams
    Sugars 0g grams
    Protein 21g grams
    0% Vitamin A
    0% Vitamin C
    0% Calcium
    15% Iron
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    INGREDIENTS: 100% Pure Beef.

It's not that unhealthy in comparison, probably slightly better for you. If I had to choose between a Brazilian burger on the shelf or the impossible one I'd probably pick the latter.

That ingredient your referring to Heme? The one pumping oxygen around your blood? Bad for you? Not likely.

Nope. Im referring to Soy leghemoglobin (SLH), a protein that's never before been in the human food supply and produced in GM yeast. Controversial at least ....
    See:
    I'm not pushing it but I can see where it has a place in the food chain. It's been completely dismissed here for not factually accurate reason though.

I beg to disagree. You say you haven't even tried it yet! What brand has a "place" in any 'foodchain"???
    A lot seems of the debate seems to be about how bad it is for you and the environment. Meat production isn't exactly the best thing for the environment ether. We use plants to make animals into meat, making plants into meat is a lot more sustainable..

And a lot of that is misinformation pushed by the plant based food promoters. As for example when it was falsely claimed that animal agriculture was responsible for some 51% of all greenhouse gas emissions by the WorldWatch Institute. This when the actual global figure was 15%. Unfortunately this type of rubbish is still being repeated.

I would also add that feedstuffs fed to animals are largely derived from left overs or by-products the human food industry, crops which dont meet human grade food quality standards and perhaps most importantly all the livestock which are fed forage from permanent grassland which is not suitable for other forms of cultivation.

So no - saying making plants into meat is a lot more sustainable. is not only inaccurate - it also fails to take into account local beef production here in Ireland as compared to the importation of "Patties" made from Soy and imported from the US which run up massive number of food miles involving the use of large amounts of fossil fuels for trans Atlantic transport etc. The exact same criticism btw which is levied against Brazilian beef - the topic of this thread ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    He’s probably a closet vegan

Mod: Play the ball please.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Nope. Im referring to Soy leghemoglobin (SLH), a protein that's never before been in the human food supply and produced in GM yeast...

Yea that's the Heme, it's what gives it the blood. It's FDA approved safe to eat and they've requested it to be classified as a food colouring.

Didn't realise you could get a version here in Thunderoad the UK made one. https://m.independent.ie/videos/life/watch-food-enthusiasts-react-to-meatless-bleeding-burger-in-dublin-37791865.html
    Going to give it a try the next time i'm passing.

I like burgers, if I can't tell the difference I don't mind swapping out the real thing now and again.

If it can be produced here the environmental impact can't be as bad as your assuming.

Advertisement