Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is chiropractic nonsense?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't really get the hate for chiropractors here.
    I go to one in France every so often. He's also a qualified physio. Runs a good physiotherapy practice.
    He completely sorted out a nerve problem that I had in my back that was pretty bad.
    I'd been to physios and doctors here in Ireland that couldn't do anything for it.
    X'Ray, dexa scan, MRI and they couldn't help me with whatever was causing the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Effects wrote: »
    I go to one in France every so often. He's also a qualified physio. Runs a good physiotherapy practice.
    He completely sorted out a nerve problem that I had in my back that was pretty bad.
    I'd been to physios and doctors here in Ireland that couldn't do anything for it.
    X'Ray, dexa scan, MRI and they couldn't help me with whatever was causing the pain.

So he is a physio then? He is actually qualified as opposed to somebody who is just a chiropracter and therefore not actually qualified in anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm a chiropractor.

It's that easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Complete quackery. Equine chiropractors in particular are the greatest load of bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I have a suspected bulging disk in my C6 in my neck, I hurt it while splitting timber with a hatchet and sledge and wedge last August. Woke up the following morning in awful pain and barely able to move. Doctor prescribed anti-inflammatory pain meds.

Anyway spent a week unable to get out of bed, decided to chance a Canadian chiro in Ireland and spent a nice bit on three different visits and there was no initial relief but luckily I was able to board a long haul flight three weeks later thanks to whatever the chiro did and also a quack massage therapist gave me good help also. I still have numbness in my arms from the disk so I can't know if I got any help or not but luckily I was able to go on the five week trip as planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Effects wrote: »

They have a higher standard in the likes of the usa where they are officially recognised as professionals, anyone with some kind of cert downloaded from the Internet can start a Chiropractor clinic here

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Long standing back issues here. At this stage I know if I go to the Dr I will get anti-inflammatories & pain killers & muscle relaxants - the cocktail as I call it. If I go to the Physio I will get a lot of Pain! an invitation to come for a course of treatments, a discussion on posture & exercise and a bit of relief, eventually. If I go to the chiropractor I will get relief from the pain and restriction and be able to move, bend & walk again! Might take two sessions, but usually much improved after one. And yes can be sore the day after. I tried Dr & Physio before trying Chiro in desperation. Took disk of MRI scan with me on their request.

Long standing back issues here. At this stage I know if I go to the Dr I will get anti-inflammatories & pain killers & muscle relaxants - the cocktail as I call it. If I go to the Physio I will get a lot of Pain! an invitation to come for a course of treatments, a discussion on posture & exercise and a bit of relief, eventually. If I go to the chiropractor I will get relief from the pain and restriction and be able to move, bend & walk again! Might take two sessions, but usually much improved after one. And yes can be sore the day after. I tried Dr & Physio before trying Chiro in desperation. Took disk of MRI scan with me on their request.

You think that Chiropractor was able to read the MRI scan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

I have had very painful neck problems for about twenty five years thanks to a chiropractor. He sat me in a chair, and without asking what my problem was, he came from behind and forcefully manipulated my neck. I have been in pain ever since. Unfortunately, a lot of physios are not much better as they don't take the time to get properly hands on. If you can find a good physio, however, they can sometimes be very helpful. Chiropractors are dangerous charlatans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I wouldn't go near them. They are incredibly dangerous. At least other alternative medicine just rips you off. These people can do active harm.

Go to the doctor or a pyhsio, people who have medical training. You will hear lots of stories about people who got better after going but there is no proof whatsoever. I personally would not go near one. Its nonsense in all countries, not just Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Yes this is why people went to chiropractors in my experience it was just them being tired of going to GP's and folking out loads of money to physos and getting no results. Those who did seem to have no regrets in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Varta wrote: »
    I have had very painful neck problems for about twenty five years thanks to a chiropractor. He sat me in a chair, and without asking what my problem was, he came from behind and forcefully manipulated my neck. I have been in pain ever since. Unfortunately, a lot of physios are not much better as they don't take the time to get properly hands on. If you can find a good physio, however, they can sometimes be very helpful. Chiropractors are dangerous charlatans.

Jesus Christ. Its frightening they are allowed practise.

Varta wrote: »

I foolishly took the advice of a neighbour ten years ago, he and his sons are cursed with bad backs despite being big strong guys, anyway this man kept raving about this south African Chiropractor and how he could fix my rib area pain, I fractured a rib in 2007 and even though the fracture healed in normal time frame, the pain hung around

Off I went to see this guy, he asked me a number of questions, told him I had mild asthma and he claimed to be able to heal asthma, that should have set of the BS radar, he got me to lie down on a rubber cushioned two piece table - bench, before I knew it he simultaneously pushed down incredibly hard on my lower back and kicked a pedal on the bench which made me drop, not only did I feel a crack, I heard one, the pain has remained to this day on and off, I went to the con artist with one injury and left with a second one, subsequent scans showed damage to the lumber spine, only thing which helps me fight the consequences is vigorous long walks which I had to cease last summer due to a serious foot injury so this past few months I'm waking up bent in two with stiffness

A week after I saw this guy, I stormed into his office and banged on the counter, demanding to see him, he made sure that he had a witness colleague, I berated him for ten minutes and made sure the entire waiting room heard, week later got a call from the guards, the scumbag claimed that his staff felt threatened, I just told the guard that I didn't speak to his staff, in fairness the guard wasn't remotely interested bar saying he followed it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

seamus wrote: »
    I'm a chiropractor.

It's that easy.

Wanna be a nutritionist? I can make you a cert in paint and send it on asap for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,674 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wanna be a nutritionist? I can make you a cert in paint and send it on asap for €10.

You're a graphic designer, so.

On a serious note I wouldn't go near a chiro. But have had exvellent results from UK trained and registered osteopaths: one fixes stuff in one session which ten sessions with a chartered physio didn't help with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Don't some of them use a gadget on your spine instead of their hands?

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcR0ReHkZyTv5gRrBM5wDKBV8SCbfSCUnT-FJVjy6N3McSYSIJet

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You think that Chiropractor was able to read the MRI scan?

Don't know and don't care.

What I do know is that he gets me mobile and pain free.

And doesn't care if he sees me in two days or two years - not a money grabber.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Don't let those sons of bitches anywhere near you..especially your neck.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2016/10/20/if-you-think-chiropractors-cant-kill-you-think-again-10334

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

My experience with them are mixed. I went to one years ago with a back problem and the only thing he relieved me of was money..But in the last few years I got a twist which gave be a very sore back or so I thought. I went to a different chiropractor and he said it was coming from my groin and should be able to sort it out. He got me on the table done his stuff and said that should be ok now.. I thought to myself, another con job but to my amazement I was totally pain free and never looked back..

was this in Soho ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Equine chiropractors in particular are the greatest load of bull.

I have a friend who was told that his horse's vertebrae and pelvis were out. Now, I'm doing a masters in animal physio and have another friend who is a vet. We spent a considerable amount of time trying to tell this gentleman that there is no need to panic, and that whatever the horse's problem, his back and pelvis aren't actually out. We weren't believed until xrays showed all bones in line with each other. If you have ever seen the size of a horse's pelvis, no single person will shift it with a light press. If it's back was "out", you would notice and you certainly wouldn't be able to put a saddle on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Don't mind any of that "alternative" ooga-booga horseshit. For these kinds of issues, I recommend Ian Wright of Clonmel Osteopaths on the grounds of Knocklofty House:

http://clonmelosteopaths.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Have this one mate who did something to his hip lifting a washing machine (as you do). For two years his hip was fcuked, could barely walk or sit straight. Was a clunking sound when he bent at the hip. Multiple MRIs said there was nothing wrong with him and so he tried a chiropractor. Whatever that guy did it worked for him as the clunking stopped and he had no more pain or joint issues.

Was listening to one of Bill Burr's podcasts recently and he maintains that some back issue he had since he was a kid was helped by seeing a Chiropractor too.

I'm from a science background so I'm very torn on it. On one hand, the evidence for it is very limited. On the other hand, a very good chiropractor fixed my back problem of many years, where doctors, physios and sports massages had failed.

Of course with a science background you likely also know that the internet is replete with sentences very very similar to yours above of the form "X1 solved my problem I had for years after X2, X3 and X4 entirely failed" in support of everything from Homeopathy to Spirit Healing.

With many conditions there is a certain % of people who will spontaneously just get better anyway. There are also a certain % of people who will try some Quack solution. And statistically there will therefore be a % of people who fall into both categories at the same time - and leap to conclusions because of that coincidence.

Statistics are a powerful thing. If I get enough chronic constantly relapsing alcoholics for example and subject them all to dog bites - or an old Indian rain dance - some % of them will come back with glowing testimonials that dog bites or rain dances magically and entirely cured them of their alcoholism where nothing else did. And entirely convinced of it they will be too.

There is a reason why in science we do not look to anecdote but the methodologies of things like epidemiology when evaluating the efficacy of any treatment.

With many conditions there is a certain % of people who will spontaneously just get better anyway. There are also a certain % of people who will try some Quack solution. And statistically there will therefore be a % of people who fall into both categories at the same time - and leap to conclusions because of that coincidence.

Absolutely it's just an anecdote but the OP asked for specific experiences. It definitely wasn't spontaneous (muscle spasm tends to get stuck) but it helped for what was wrong with me. The rest of my post shows that I'm still not a fan of chiro, but it doesn't take away from my own experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have a friend who was told that his horse's vertebrae and pelvis were out. Now, I'm doing a masters in animal physio and have another friend who is a vet. We spent a considerable amount of time trying to tell this gentleman that there is no need to panic, and that whatever the horse's problem, his back and pelvis aren't actually out. We weren't believed until xrays showed all bones in line with each other. If you have ever seen the size of a horse's pelvis, no single person will shift it with a light press. If it's back was "out", you would notice and you certainly wouldn't be able to put a saddle on it.

Yes the whole notion of it is ridiculous. Where are you doing your Masters?

Yes the whole notion of it is ridiculous. Where are you doing your Masters?

The UK but doing the theory and assignments from home, which works out very useful.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Had 6 back procedures plus various injections over the years. Have been advised to steer clear of chiropractors, and have stuck to physio

They operate through manipulation. If everything goes back into place then great. For chronic issues like I have I've been told they would probably do more damage than good, as each time they force things back into place they can cause a bit more wear and tear, risking increasing longer term issues

I'm now doing strength conditioning of the back, involving weights. Was unsure at first but it seems to be improving things

THere was a guy in England years ago who used to 'do' horses' spines - a horse chirporactic.

His name was Jimmy Plimsoles or something, because he used to go visit racing yards, enter the stable where the injured horse was situated, climb up to the rafters, and dance along the horses' backs - in his slippers.

Of course, he was a complete chancer, but there was no telling that to his adoring clients. Some owners also probably employed him because they were rich, and anything was worth a try. But you often see this kind of quackery in racing - for some reason, a lot of trainers are incredibly superstitious people.

I have a relative who, when she was building new stables, hired some guy to come and visit them, to make sure that the stables didn't cross any important lines of latitude or longitude (I know..., they're man-made). Daft sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Do they refer to themselves as Doctors?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Do they refer to themselves as Doctors?

Like Dr. Dre?

Advertisement