Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alita: Battle Angel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Her eyes seem smaller in the last trailer.
    I saw the anime years ago so I the manga came first, but seeing the poster for this reminds me of Rukia from Bleach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

pixelburp wrote: »
    Another new trailer; now with more ... Rollerball? :confused: Alita's CGI still distracts, her eyes in particular.

That's a much improved trailer on the first, BUT the inclusion of 'rollerball' (or Motorball as it is in the manga) has me concerned.

Motorball is part of the whole second major storyline arc in the series, so cramming that into the origin story is not a good sign.

Waaaaaaay to many of these tentpole movies based on an established IP have a horrible tendency to pack 10lbs of fan service goodies into a 5lb bag of screen-time and all that achieves is a crowded narrative with too much plot and too many characters (I'm looking at you DC), none of which is fully developed.

I'm still a little torn though, because I REALLY wan't to see Motorball realised on the big screen, but like that second slice of chocolate cake you couldn't resist... you can have too much of a good thing that ends in a tummy ache.

Still... MOTORBALL!!

Y5o470h.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Superbowl bit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems to be reviewing better than I expected; no rave reviews, but honestly I was expecting this to be 2019's big SciFi turkey.

Those big eyes just don't work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did I see one of the trailers for this having Maggie Siff singing the song she sang on Son's of Anarchy or was that a fan made trailer for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Saw a different trailer last week and it took away any interest or open-mindeness i had towards it. She looks too cartoony to me...and it's PG13... there'll be one or two acceptable swear-words and plenty of kid-friendly violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Well just back from it , no prior expeirience with the source materiel and went in pretty blind barely watched the trailers and have to say I loved it

the action was fantastic , the story didn't play it too safe and surprised me a nice few times, sadly the cinema was pretty much empty which is worrying for the movie

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Her eyes seem smaller in the last trailer.
    I saw the anime years ago so I the manga came first, but seeing the poster for this reminds me of Rukia from Bleach.

Aparently the eye's are exactly the same size as they were previously, they changed the size of the pupils making them larger.
    It's the subtle things that can mess witih people's perception.
    Large pupils make Alita look doe eyed, leave the eye's the same size and shrink those pupils and the same doe eye'd girl looks unhinged.

Why? Because when you see whites above and below the pupil, it give the impression of a wild, startled or enraged expression.

It was only a very subtly change that was made between trailers but clearly made a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

God that was awful.

Very boring and unimaginative. The main characters were actively annoying.

Jennifer Connolly still looks great though.
    Why are chocolate bars so big? What are the rules of this rollerball sport? Why did they bring her boyfriend back from the dead and then kill him again 10 minutes later?
    - best not to ask too many questions because it really made no sense

2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I loved it.

Never knew of any manga before so no idea if it's like them but I really enjoyed that movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Well just back from it , no prior expeirience with the source materiel and went in pretty blind barely watched the trailers and have to say I loved it

the action was fantastic , the story didn't play it too safe and surprised me a nice few times, sadly the cinema was pretty much empty which is worrying for the movie

Similar experience for myself. No prior knowledge. 1 or 2 things I wasn't mad about but overall pleasantly surprised with it. Enjoyable movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

I didn't expect much from this sci-fi fest going in but I was pleasantly surprised. It's not perfect but there's enough action and intrigue to keep you interested. It also looks amazing. You can see where Rodriguez spent those dollars. I'm sure it will pick up box office numbers in the Asian market.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Most people I know who have no connection with the source material like it more then those who did.

Those who know the source material are probably more annoyed at where it sets things going rather then whats in the film. Most of what is in the film is fine if a bit pedestrian, but where it ends itself and plot point it drops basically have fans writing off most of the mid to later books of the first series completely, really the only bit from the later books that looks to be potential on the cards
    is berserker Zappan, but it will be very different from the manga

as Conorhal mentioned earlier they stuffed a lot of stuff in here that is from much later volumes some are good
    reworking the berserker body to be her old body kinda works better then it just being a super body in the basement
    some not so
    anything involving doctor Nova pretty much. Basically ruined the 2nd most important character in the entire series

so didnt hate it but didnt love it either, mostly a meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

Hadn't read the source material and had low expectations and really enjoyed myself overall.

Video review below for those interested

https://youtu.be/UtJQFgy7Uu0?t=50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

First 30mins were terrible nonsense. Got a bit better after that but nothing special. Will lose money at the box office and rightly so.

6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I set myself up for disappointment but I thought it was genuinely brilliant. Great characters, good performances, and the pacing is really good. It's pretty formulaic but it just works incredibly well. It's also reasonably gritty for a PG13 production.

Good film. How something like this can get lukewarm to poor reviews while Black Panther gets an oscar nomination is criminal.

For me it's an easy 8/10. Delivers on what's promised big time....and I wasn't bowled over by initial trailers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Really enjoyed it, personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This is seriously under performing at the box office, which is an incredible shame.

Should do very good business in Asia though, but not sure it'll be enough to save it and greenlight a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

This is seriously under performing at the box office, which is an incredible shame.

Should do very good business in Asia though, but not sure it'll be enough to save it and greenlight a sequel.

You would hope so but at the moment China have a massive box office hit with their own sci-fi film The Wandering Earth which might hurt Alita there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Many modern blockbusters have a plot problem, and Alita has a bad dose of it. There's stuff to like in here, but the relentless forward momentum kills it dead far too often.

The inescapable problem here is there's so much ground to cover that there's barely a chance to breathe. This causes problems ranging from the reasonably trivial - how does motorball actually work?! - to major ones that drag everything else down. The biggest IMO is a lack of breathing space or even basic sense of atmosphere: the film has so much plot and lore ground to cover, details are rarely allowed simmer or develop. There's no opportunity for a real sense of place to develop, for example, or for characters to move beyond being merely functional. The mish-mash plot takes a long time to decide what the actual stakes are, and has like five main villains. That the script is noticeably not very good for decent chunks of time doesn't help (some of the romantic scenes are fairly hopeless), and the blatant sequel-teasing means this all feels rather frustratingly unresolved. It's a strange problem: it simultaneously has too much plot as well as not enough. They clearly didn't know whether this would be a franchise starter, and hedged their bets awkwardly.

Then there's the pedestrian direction. While the action packs more of a brutal punch than I was expecting, that's where the strength ends. For all the CG wonder on display, Rodriquez leaves little room for good ol' Hollywood awe or rarely lets impressive shots or scene last those extra few moments necessary to really sell them. Everything is constantly pushing forward, and basic plot mechanics and lore feel like they dominate over the really meaty stuff. It means key scenes play out in bog standard shot-reverse shot with nothing in the way of flair.

But there's bright spots. Mainly I think its major strength is the way it succeeds in translating grotesque cyborg designs into a CG-animation / live action hybrid. I'd go as far as saying some of the more outrageous, extravagant designs are some of the more imaginative to have graced Hollywood cinema recently. It's a better attempt at translating manga to live action than a few others I've seen for sure.

In the end, though, Alita: Battle Angel is simply too busy. It's almost as if there's two films - or, it would seem, two or three story arcs - crammed into one. It delivers moments of impressive, expensive spectacle, but it's a sugar rush: fun in the moment, but a bit of a downer in the long-term.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, can't imagine this has very good projections at any point; there aren't a lot of easy sells in the bullet points: new, relatively niche IP; Few big stars to pimp; released during the cinematic doldrums; The advertising tended toward bigging up James Cameron's part in all this, but can't help but feel his pull is much reduced compared to yesteryear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I seen it last night. I was pleasantly surprised and found it very enjoyable.
    The SFX are amazing but as others have said, I would have liked Rodriguez to let some of these scenes linger for a bit longer and take a few extra moments to appreciate the visuals. Maybe this was just me, but I defiantly felt it was influenced by video games, the bright lights and colorful tracks in the muderball arenas reminded me of Mario Kart. Some of the fight scenes and bad guys was very Gears of Warzys, and Alita herself reminded me a bit of Dante from Devil May Cry. There was something very gratifying about the way little Alita swaggers around and then proceeds to
    kick the living sh1te out of anyone that gives her guff.

The constant sequel plugging was a bit annoying. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see more of these, but there was no need to ram it down my throat, the film was already moving at breakneck speed, the last thing it needed was to try some sequel building.

Its never a good sign when you want one of the main protagonists to die,
    I'm looking at you Hugo

Another frustrating thing was when Alita
    fully leveled up, armor, costume, sword in tow, and the belief she was "The One"
    , Rodriguez decides yet again to go full tilt and blow through this without stopping to breath. I would have loved to see her have this cool, smug,
    Neo corridor moment and nonchalantly kick some a$$.
    We got something like that,
    at the very end
    , but it's way too short and happens wayyyyy too quickly.

Overall, I found it a really good watch. I don't think it's doing too well at the box office so I'm not sure if we'll get that sequel this film tried so hard to sell us, especially now that Fox is now Disney, but one thing that gives me hope is that this film is very Disney friendly, so Disney may decide to continue with this and sprinkle some of its mouse magic on it. here's hoping.

Some other random bits
    • Jennifer Connelly. still got it.
    • Mahershala Ali. fast becoming one of my favorite actors but is criminally underused here
    • Sticking with Ali, if Marvel ever get around to making another Blade, Ali has to be a shoe in.
    • Apparently the only way to get to Zalem is....
      putting your brain and eyes in a jar? WTF was that all about?
    • Hello Jai Courtney head cameo
    • #NotMyDaario
    • So long Hugo, we hardly knew ye. Good riddance.
    • Just me, or did Alita
      go psycho girlfriend really quickly. Maybe Hugo had a lucky escape
    • Since when did Hollywood decide
      the best way to motivate your protagonist is to slaughter an innocent dog.
    • Was nobody suspicious when everyone just abandoned the muderball game to chase Alita?
    • Hello Edward Norton head cameo

Caught it finally. It's a mixed bag.
    Visually it's very well put together. My expectation (from the eary trailers) of a rollercoaster ride through the uncanny valley didn't materialize and the 3D (as you'd expect from Cameron) is for once worthy of the ticket price, but by God they didn't need to cram 2 movies into one.
    As soon as I saw Motor-ball in the trailer it became apparent that James Cameron just couldn't resist shoe-horning it into a story arc it didn't belong in purely for the visual spectacle, and the result is a really choppy plot and everything feels rushed.
    Instead of concentrating on perhaps a smaller story, Alita becomes a bounty-hunter, lot of ‘stuff and characters’ have been moved around and changed to provide at least some answers to the audience regards the larger over arching plot of the story, many of the reveals in the film are revelations that only occurred in much later volumes of the manga.
    The result is a ton of exposition and and some of the changes the script made resulted in character motivations and scenes that don’t make a whole lot of logical sense.

Overall I liked the film, but that could be coloured by my appreciation for the manga and my willingness to overlook just how God awful some of the dialogue and the romantic sub-plot actually are. I was kind surprised at how faithful the film is to many scenes in the Manga, but to be honest, faithfulness to some aspects of manga is a detriment to the film, especially the cheesy dialogue.
    6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Reading they need about $500m worldwide to break even. How does someone waste that amount of money on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I seen it last and really enjoyed it. It has humour, great special effects and good action. Maybe it was a bit long but overall I would give it 7 out of 10.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

RasTa wrote: »
    Reading they need about $500m worldwide to break even. How does someone waste that amount of money on this?

ouch! its not a blockbuster type movie, they obviously made it with a sequel in mind but looks like they will lose their shirts on this

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Unfortunately, this is another example of why Hollywood should stick to endless Robin Hood/Tarzan reboots rather than trying to create new big-budget franchises.

Whatever you feel about their quality or otherwise, Alita joins the dumpster heap of other original or new-to-film sci-fi bets alongside Jupiter Ascending, Tomorrowland, A Wrinkle in Time, and Edge of Tomorrow in just the past few years alone.

Where is the next Matrix going to come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Unfortunately, this is another example of why Hollywood should stick to endless Robin Hood/Tarzan reboots rather than trying to create new big-budget franchises.

Whatever you feel about their quality or otherwise, Alita joins the dumpster heap of other original or new-to-film sci-fi bets alongside Jupiter Ascending, Tomorrowland, A Wrinkle in Time, and Edge of Tomorrow in just the past few years alone.

the matrix cost $60m , this cost $170m. if they didnt have bloated budgets they might turn a buck on a smaller outlay

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Edge of Tomorrow cost 178m and made 370.5m at the box office so I think that makes it a success.

Not a massive success, but still a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Edge of Tomorrow cost 178m and made 370.5m at the box office so I think that makes it a success.

Not a massive success, but still a success.

Generally a movie needs to make 2x its production budget to break even, so maybe it just about scrimped through. I read on Deadline Hollywood that Alita needs around $500m to break even though, and that has a $180m, so I guess there's no hard and fast rule.

Advertisement