Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alita: Battle Angel

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its even "worse", 2x for domestic and 3x for international

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭conorhal

silverharp wrote: »
    its even "worse", 2x for domestic and 3x for international

I learned and interesting fact from Grace Randolph this week, China isn't exactly the international market saviour of failing domestic fare that it's often proported to be, because on average the studio get only 25% of the box office reciepts in China, less then they would domestically.

So when a movie opens soft domestically but opens big in China, yet still never sees a sequel, now you know why.

Having slept on it, I'm less annoyed about the changes made to the timeline of events in Alita, I can see why they were made, even if I don't agree with them.
    I think that the 'ewwww, rather than Ooooooh' reaction to the first trailer fatally undermined the film. Original content seems to be a tough sell in Hollywood lately, so the last thing the film needed was a first impression that turned off general audiences. The 'anime eyes' were a big mistake and clearly too much to ask of a general audience unfamiliar witih the material.
    Personally, I didn't find them nearly as destracting as I thought I would. Props to Weta Digital for creating characters and a world that was lush and realistic, but some still found the character design distracting.

The next big misstep is one that's sunk even behemoth properties like DC's cinematic universe. Creating a film that ends with anti-climatic sequel bait or operates as a cinematic universe primer rather then a story.
    Hollywood, please stop giving us movies that expect, nay, demand a sequel without bothering to establish itself as a property people are interested in seeing a sequel to. This is what Netflix limited series are for and clearly many chose to stay home and chill instead.

It's a shame the movie's tepid bix office means that a sequel is unlikely, because I genuinely did enjoy the film. Who knows, the movie might get a sequel anyway simply because James Cameron just ploughs ahead regardless, though that I suspect will depend on how the first Avatar sequel is received.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

at the end of the day is was a fun silly little movie with dodgy CGI. Mildly curious after watching the movie what was going on with the sky city but at the end of the day it wasn't gripping and wasnt overly invested with the characters.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I saw this tonight. Unfortunately i waited to long to go to see it so I got to see it on one of the smaller screens in the multiplex(imc). I enjoyed it overall however the decision to try to set up a sequel took from the film.

I just want to mention these type of films really need to be seen on a larger screen. The special effects lose alot of their potency on smaller cinema screens. Some of the older cinema screens seem dated by this type of film. The same goes for ghost in the shell which I also wound up seeing on a smaller cinema screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I saw it on the 3D IMAX recently. I had low expectations going in TBD, based on previous poorly animated films. I really enjoyed it, the Alita character was well done and Christoph Waltz was excellent. Thankfully ther want as much of the Motorball stupidity as promised by the trailer, and I enjoyed the Mars/Earth backstory.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a sequel to this, but I wish they hadn’t made it so bloody obvious in the film that this was where they were going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,792 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

finally got to see this. really enjoyed it. i see it made about $400m world wide, which may not be enough for a sequel to be made. Hopefully they do get to make a sequel !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I watched it too for the first time last weekend, and was surprised how much I liked it. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Went to the cinema to see it, really enjoyed it. But nobody knew about it, aside from 2 of my mates

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

94% from the Audience on RT!
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/alita_battle_angel
    User Ratings: 29,815

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

Limp script, great action, appealing central performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

That's sounds very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Great movie imo,know nothing of the anime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Agreed with all of the above here. I knew nothing about it but I loved the look of it and went to see it.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it. The setting, the characters, the action. Hopefully there will be a decent follow up.

Gave it a watch. Just like the anime which I really liked! I guess the surprises didn't hit as much.

I liked the new story bits,
    about Mars
    , that I don't remember from the anime. Much like the anime, I wouldn't mind a few sequels to see this universe fleshed out.

I feel like I probably missed out by not seeing this in IMAX.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Watched this last night not expectimg much and had not heard much about the film only it existed. Best film ive seen in ages, brilliant if you like sci fi / fantasy stuff. I love when this happen, when you see a movie not knowing what to expect and end up loving it..

Still 93% with the audience on RT.

Advertisement