boards.ie Mobile
Page 544 of 544
« First < 44444494534542543544
After Hours>What book are you reading atm??
eviltwin 12:47 09-02-2019
The Alice Network by Kate Quinn

Also about to start Michelle Obama's autobiography on Audible, heard great things about it.
[Quote] [Thank]
Nigel Fairservice 13:52 09-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
I just started Off the Map: Lost Spaces, Invisible Cities, Forgotten Islands, Feral Places and What They Tell Us About the World by Alastair Bonnett.
[Quote] [Thank]
Foweva Awone 22:13 09-02-2019 (3 Thanks)
Cats Eye (Margaret Atwood) is one I started reading approx 18 years ago, when I was in my teens.

I can never get into it, but I can never quite give up on it either, so every now and then I read a couple of pages or a couple of chapters. I mightn't pick it up again for months or even years.

So after all this time, I'm only about two thirds of the way through it. Picked up where I last left off again tonight.

I'm not usually like this with books, I'll usually either fly through them or else ruthlessly give up on them and dispose of them. This one is an exception!
[Quote] [Thank]
TheRepentent 23:08 09-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by nialler24:
Just started Shogun by James Clavell. Loving it so far, though only about 70 pages in.
Brilliant book. Read it every few years.

The rest of the series I didn't really like.
[Quote] [Thank]
Graces7 09:06 11-02-2019
re-re-re-reading John Grisham "The Last Juror" . Enjoying as always.
[Quote] [Thank]
Danger781 23:19 11-02-2019
My name is Rex. I'm a good boy.

Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky
[Quote] [Thank]
Carry 00:15 12-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
A bit of a rant:

Reading atm Camilla Lackberg: The Girl in the Woods.

Usually Lackberg writes easy going Swedish crime novels with a good plot, an agreeable pace and a touch of chick lit that is just about tolerable. I like her older books which are well constructed, they are good bedtime Noir without giving nightmares.

Her latest is an example of over-ambitious writers who try to be "woke", political, personal, emotional and whatnot, without having the skills to actually understand a thing and put it into words. All that together drowns the quite interesting core story.
There are several threads that make no sense whatsoever in the story: refugees and Swedish prejudices, flashbacks to the 1600s in rural Sweden that don't even make mythical sense, teenage bullying that distracts from the actual story and an emphasis on the mundane private lives of the characters that doesn't make them more lively and colourful but immensely boring and two-dimensional.

I'm probably going to finish it, but I'll read only the paragraphs that actually have a bearing on the story as such. Or maybe I jump to the end just to get to know who the killer is.

580 pages - a good editor could have easily halved the lot!

Writers and editors out there: keep a story to the point, and publishers, don't think that the meandering of an established writer is worth publishing!

Rant over.
[Quote] [Thank]
Cheshire Cat 08:10 12-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
I agree CL's earlier books were much better.
The flashbacks to the past in this book make sense (just about) in the very end. I finished the book, but would be wary of the next
[Quote] [Thank]
Thargor 20:22 12-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Danger781:

Never heard of it and I love his stuff, ordered thanks.

(I love his stuff apart from that utterly pointless Lion and the Hyena crap he released recently I should say...)
[Quote] [Thank]
Succubus_ 21:45 12-02-2019 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by batgoat:
The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule, it's Ted Bundy season so seems appropriate.
This is what I'm reading at the moment, very interesting to get the perspective of someone that knew him.

Originally Posted by Foweva Awone:
Cats Eye (Margaret Atwood) is one I started reading approx 18 years ago, when I was in my teens.

I can never get into it, but I can never quite give up on it either, so every now and then I read a couple of pages or a couple of chapters. I mightn't pick it up again for months or even years.

So after all this time, I'm only about two thirds of the way through it. Picked up where I last left off again tonight.

I'm not usually like this with books, I'll usually either fly through them or else ruthlessly give up on them and dispose of them. This one is an exception!
Cat's Eye is one of my favourite books, I go back and read it every once in a while, I first read it in my teens too. See if you can stick it out because I think it's worth it :)
[Quote] [Thank]
Danger781 22:21 18-02-2019
Originally Posted by Thargor:
Never heard of it and I love his stuff, ordered thanks.

(I love his stuff apart from that utterly pointless Lion and the Hyena crap he released recently I should say...)

That's funny, really well rated on GR:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...a-and-the-hawk

Each to their own I suppose.. I haven't read it so can't comment.
[Quote] [Thank]
gutenberg 10:56 19-02-2019
Reading Jill Lepore's The Story of America: it's a collection of essays discussing various aspects of American history from the seventeenth century onwards, so not really a narrative history but rather a series of vignettes. Some of them are absolutely hilarious, such as her exploration of the presidential 'campaign biography', and the essay on Benjamin Franklin.
[Quote] [Thank]
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! 11:20 19-02-2019 (2 Thanks)
Someone gave me Sylvia Plath's Collected Poems for Christmas, after I left my old copy on a train, which I'd had since the Leaving Cert.

It's great, but still not as good as hearing her read her own work.

[Quote] [Thank]
Foweva Awone 20:38 Yesterday
Just finished "The Missing Pieces of Sophie McCarthy" (B.M. Carroll), have to say I really enjoyed it. A very satisfying read. Twisty without being ridiculous!
[Quote] [Thank]
Danger781 21:21 Yesterday
Originally Posted by Danger781:

I really really enjoyed this one. Stayed awake last night to persevere through to the end despite how tired I was feeling. It's been many months since I last rated a book as five stars on Good Reads!
[Quote] [Thank]
Tags:atm, books, literature, nude conspiracy, pin
Page 544 of 544
« First < 44444494534542543544

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet