boards.ie Mobile
View Poll Results: Mod Poll(op no input)
Sopranos is best TV. 173 86.07%
I'm an idiot who knows nothing. 28 13.93%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll
Page 1 of 11
1 23 > Last »
After Hours>What was the fcuking big deal about the Sopranos?
Women without Makeup 13:25 12-01-2019 (3 Thanks)
Dare I say, how did it end up being considered the best show of all time by so many. Is it just that anything about mafia is always considered good tv? Do people pretend to like to look cool... like the way people pretend to think Brando was a good actor. I can't say I've watched the entire series from start to finish. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

I get that there's the shock factor of the way they just murder some poor innocent fellow or the street and then laugh about. I mean that would grab anyone's attention, but it doesn't make it good drama. Especially when you always know who's going to get killed. When Christopher kicked the **** out of a fella in acting the acting class, I could see it coming a mile away.

I can a lot of people who know me well telling me "you'd definitely like it". All I think to myself is "you're so poor at understanding people if you don't if see that someone like me wouldn't be into that".

NOTE TO MODS - PLEASE REMOVE THAT POLL QUESTION. I DIDN'T PUT IT THERE
[Quote] [Thank]
irishfeen 13:25 12-01-2019 (69 Thanks)
Because it’s absolutely brilliant... simples

Bada Bing!
[Quote] [Thank]
Voodoomelon 13:27 12-01-2019 (97 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Women without Makeup:
And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.
I take it by this statement you're not a fan of The Wire either. In which case you have no business commenting on what's good or bad TV.
[Quote] [Thank]
greencap 13:28 12-01-2019 (24 Thanks)
Galdofinis consistently amazing acting across the dozens of episodes.
[Quote] [Thank]
LessOutragePlz 13:29 12-01-2019
It's a matter of taste and preference clearly a lot of people consider it great tv me included.
[Quote] [Thank]
FTA69 13:33 12-01-2019 (4 Thanks)
“You look like a Puerto Rican whore.”
[Quote] [Thank]
Church on Tuesday 13:34 12-01-2019 (11 Thanks)
Great theme tune too

https://youtu.be/YDDkCiUhHCc
[Quote] [Thank]
CalamariFritti 13:36 12-01-2019 (4 Thanks)
You have to get into it and its characters like with every other show. Rewatched Sopranos about a year ago and loved it even more than the first time around.
[Quote] [Thank]
trashcan 13:36 12-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Voodoomelon:
I take it by this statement you're not a fan of The Wire either. In which case you have no business commenting on what's good or bad TV.
Ha. Amen to that in my view. The Sopranos was a very good TV drama, the Wire is something else again. Best thing I've ever seen, or expect to see on TV or film.

If you don't like those shows, what would your version of good TV drama be ? Generic crap like CSI/Law and Order etc ? Mush like Downtown Abbey perhaps ?

Most mainstream TV drama is awful, which is why shows like the Wire and the Sopranos stand out. Honourable mentions to Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Line of Duty, Narcos and Peaky Blinders (in no particular order as they say.)
[Quote] [Thank]
Mr. Guappa 13:38 12-01-2019 (1 Thanks)
Dare I say, how did it end up being considered the best show of all time by so many. Is it just that anything about mafia is always considered good tv? Do people pretend to like to look cool... like the way people pretend to think Brando was a good actor. I can't say I've watched the entire series from start to finish. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

I get that there's the shock factor of the way they just murder some poor innocent fellow or the street and then laugh about. I mean that would grab anyone's attention, but it doesn't make it good drama. Especially when you always know who's going to get killed. When Christopher kicked the **** out of a fella in acting the acting class, I could see it coming a mile away.

I can a lot of people who know me well telling me "you'd definitely like it". All I think to myself is "you're so poor at understanding people if you don't if see that someone like me wouldn't be into that".
What do you consider good TV so?
[Quote] [Thank]
Kimbot 13:38 12-01-2019 (1 Thanks)
Op why not give it a watch to see what the big deal is about it instead of asking here.
[Quote] [Thank]
Women without Makeup 13:39 12-01-2019
Originally Posted by trashcan:
If you don't like those shows, what would your version of good TV drama be ? Generic crap like CSI/Law and Order etc ? Mush like Downtown Abbey perhaps ?
Nip/Tuck and The Mentalist.

I liked Mad Men just a little bit too.
[Quote] [Thank]
facehugger99 13:40 12-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.
No, it's called having taste.
[Quote] [Thank]
bnt 13:42 12-01-2019
Never watched it, and have been considering it based on its reputation, but I don't know if I want to watch eighty-six episodes about Mafia gangsters.
[Quote] [Thank]
James__10 13:50 12-01-2019 (1 Thanks)
Move along fella
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 1 of 11
1 23 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet