boards.ie Mobile
View Poll Results: Mod Poll(op no input)
Sopranos is best TV. 173 86.07%
I'm an idiot who knows nothing. 28 13.93%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll
Page 4 of 11
« First < 234 56 > Last »
After Hours>What was the fcuking big deal about the Sopranos?
paw patrol 14:44 12-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by The high horse brigade:
The Sopranos was responsible for killing two shows that should've been let run to completion as both were amazing, Carnivale and Deadwood. The Sopranos was such a success HBO dropped both and added their budgets to the Sopranos bringing it up to close to $1 million per episode
I didn't know that.

pity cos deadwood was really good.
[Quote] [Thank]
Ursus Horribilis 14:45 12-01-2019
Originally Posted by Necro:
Ugh, I dunno I go back and forth on that tbh. The first two seasons are pretty bad but it really amps up from season 3 into some pretty good TV.

For an all action, leave your brain at the door kind of show though Banshee blows it out of the water.
I was joking. I thought BB was a bit slow at the start but never ever did I think it was bad TV. The OP is obviously stirring things.

I've never watched The Wire but I'd certainly not declare it was a load of crap just because I've not seen it. Game of Thrones isn't my sort of TV and I know I'll definitely never watch that. But again, who am I to say it's rubbish?
[Quote] [Thank]
Ursus Horribilis 14:48 12-01-2019
Originally Posted by The high horse brigade:
The Sopranos was responsible for killing two shows that should've been let run to completion as both were amazing, Carnivale and Deadwood. The Sopranos was such a success HBO dropped both and added their budgets to the Sopranos bringing it up to close to $1 million per episode
Ah that's a shame. I never watched Deadwood but have a friend who raved about it. They were probably victims of being created too soon. They'd stand a better chance of running their course nowadays.
[Quote] [Thank]
batgoat 14:49 12-01-2019
Originally Posted by Ursus Horribilis:
I see. So there have been no decent TV shows made in the 20 years since?
There's a handful of shows that basically created well developed and creative TV shows that has led to what we presently have. Eg Breaking Bad The handful that come to mind are Twin Peaks, Oz, The Wire and The Sopranos. Audiences weren't used to TV that you couldn't really dip in and out of. So yep, they revitalised TV.
[Quote] [Thank]
Ursus Horribilis 14:50 12-01-2019
Our OP might not agree
[Quote] [Thank]
meeeeh 14:52 12-01-2019
I liked Sopranos and Breaking Bad and I absolutely love Wire. But I also quite enjoyed Downtown Abbey or other costume drama. Yes Dowton Abbey became a bit of mush but I don't like when anything aimed at women is dismissed as inferior. Big Little Lies offered just as good acting as True Detective.

As for Sopranos it was well made but I am not overly into mafia stuff. For me The Wire is above everything else, brilliant characters, brilliant acting and (ignoring last season) brilliant storytelling.
[Quote] [Thank]
Necro 14:54 12-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by meeeeh:

As for Sopranos it was well made but I am not overly into mafia stuff. For me The Wire is above everything else, brilliant characters, brilliant acting and (ignoring last season) brilliant storytelling.
Yeah I loved the Wire too. But Season 5 (as you mention above) left a sour taste in my mouth.
[Quote] [Thank]
Silentcorner 15:17 12-01-2019 (8 Thanks)
The Sopranos had it all.

Visually impressive, from the Pine Barrens in North Jersey to the fairly bland North Jersey townships it nailed the grittiness and the mundane nature of suburban America.

Great character development and execution of believable situations often with humour, everyone one of the characters, including the priest, were drenched in the rotten culture of it all!

Above all else the soundtrack was superb in my opinion ( a fine example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9lbju1WpsQ )

We will never see the likes of The Sopranos again.
[Quote] [Thank]
sheroman01 17:20 12-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Women without Makeup:
Dare I say, how did it end up being considered the best show of all time by so many. Is it just that anything about mafia is always considered good tv? Do people pretend to like to look cool... like the way people pretend to think Brando was a good actor. I can't say I've watched the entire series from start to finish. And is it just a coincidence that anyone who likes it also likes 'The Wire'.

I get that there's the shock factor of the way they just murder some poor innocent fellow or the street and then laugh about. I mean that would grab anyone's attention, but it doesn't make it good drama. Especially when you always know who's going to get killed. When Christopher kicked the **** out of a fella in acting the acting class, I could see it coming a mile away.

I can a lot of people who know me well telling me "you'd definitely like it". All I think to myself is "you're so poor at understanding people if you don't if see that someone like me wouldn't be into that".
You seem like the kind of person whose favourite dessert is vanilla ice cream.

Try to expand your mind a bit, read a book or two, and then you might appreciate in depth shows like The Sopranos and The Wire. What makes them great is the amount of detail that goes into them, seeing things from different perspectives and getting inside the lives of multiple people, families and cooperations. There are so many layers to those shows.
[Quote] [Thank]
Motivator 17:33 12-01-2019 (4 Thanks)
The Sopranos was and will be the best series I’ll ever see. Not a chance there will be anything to ever match it never mind surpass it. From the first episode to the last, the writing was incredible and the way the characters and the story developed over the years was the best thing about it. For those who haven’t seen it, watch it but before you do - forget that it’s based on the New Jersey Mafia. Just enjoy a quality series. It’s just an incredible show and I’ve about 25 episodes that I keep rewatching because everything about them just draws me in.
[Quote] [Thank]
Sycamore Tree 17:36 12-01-2019
Originally Posted by Voodoomelon:
I take it by this statement you're not a fan of The Wire either. In which case you have no business commenting on what's good or bad TV.
Serious question - is the Wire that good? I haven't seen and have no idea what it's about but I think it's on Netflix.
I need something new to get into.
[Quote] [Thank]
greencap 17:38 12-01-2019 (4 Thanks)
Nip/Tuck and The Mentalist.

I liked Mad Men just a little bit too.
The mentalist!

You're the mentalist.

[Quote] [Thank]
Lucy8080 17:41 12-01-2019 (3 Thanks)
Quasimodo predicted that someone would start a thread like this!
[Quote] [Thank]
Sardonicat 17:44 12-01-2019
Originally Posted by TerrorFirmer:
Nidge is pretty much an homage to Tony and portrayed in the exact same way.
Another stupid show. I could see it a MILE away that the guards would NOT be the ones to take down Nidge. I could see it a mile away.

A FCUKING MILE AWAY!
Again, it wasn't about the plot. It was about the characters.
[Quote] [Thank]
Sardonicat 17:46 12-01-2019 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Sycamore Tree:
Originally Posted by Voodoomelon:
I take it by this statement you're not a fan of The Wire either. In which case you have no business commenting on what's good or bad TV.
Serious question - is the Wire that good? I haven't seen and have no idea what it's about but I think it's on Netflix.
I need something new to get into.
The Wire is amazing! Some series are better than others but overall it's up there as some of the best tv ever. I haven't watched it in a while, think it's time for a rewatch.
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 4 of 11
« First < 234 56 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet