boards.ie Mobile
Page 3 of 25
< 123 4513 > Last »
After Hours>I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2
Kevin Finnerty 23:14 26-01-2019 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by BaZmO*:
Yes. It’s one of the the reasons why you have lobbies in hotels, because the lobby breaks the air from rushing in once a door is open to the outside. Or using revolving doors also stops this from happening.

The venturi effect is essentially the velocity increasing due to constriction. The pressure drops but the velocity increases. It also applies to fluid dynamics.
That's awesome. Makes perfect sense. It surely has positive applications too. Braking systems? My interest is piqued now :-)
More googling to do.

Found this

https://www.sae.org/news/2017/08/venturi-effect-powers-daycos-new-brake-assist-system
[Quote] [Thank]
BaZmO* 23:36 26-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty:
That's awesome. Makes perfect sense. It surely has positive applications too. Braking systems? My interest is piqued now :-)
More googling to do.

Found this

https://www.sae.org/news/2017/08/ven...-assist-system
Afaik as I know it’s used quite a lot in car engines. I think fuel injection is one of the uses.
[Quote] [Thank]
Oink 08:43 27-01-2019 (1 Thanks)
When you use your fingers to count in binary, one thumb up means 1. The middle finger is number 4. Index and middle finger is 6. So if you work in IT and your boss asks you how many more hours it’ll take you to finish the job....
[Quote] [Thank]
quickbeam 12:38 27-01-2019
Originally Posted by New Home:
"Presently" can mean both "Right away" or "In a while".
Perfect example of the evolution of language. It should actually only mean "right away", but it has evolved, probably only in the last 30 years or so, to mean "in a while".
[Quote] [Thank]
New Home 12:40 27-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by quickbeam:
Perfect example of the evolution of language. It should actually only mean "right away", but it has evolved, probably only in the last 30 years or so, to mean "in a while".
A bit earlier than that. :)

https://www.etymonline.com/word/pres...online_v_30372
[Quote] [Thank]
Conchir 13:11 27-01-2019 (3 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Grueller:
The UK? Wales, Scotland and England?
The UK includes Northern Ireland. The island is called Great Britain.

Great Britain is the third most populous island in the world, after Java (Indonesia) and Honshu (Japan).
[Quote] [Thank]
Franz Von Peppercorn 13:23 27-01-2019 (10 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Srameen:
There are lots of great contronyms, or words that, depending on context, can have opposite or contradictory meanings.

Bound: Heading to a destination, or restrained from movement
Cleave: To adhere, or to separate
Peer: A person of the nobility, or an equal
Left: Remained, or departed
Sanction: to penalise or to allow.
Dust(verb): to remove dust, or to add it.
Bolt: leave quickly or fasten.

Sick: something horrible, something great.

More recent that last one.

Sometimes people think that literally is becoming a controymn for figuratively. Actually when used as an intensifier in hyperbole the entire sentence is figurative. Literally is used figuratively (as is the whole sentence) but it doesn’t mean figuratively - you don’t describe figurative language like that, you just write a hyperbole or metaphor or simile.
[Quote] [Thank]
Nuno 13:37 27-01-2019 (3 Thanks)
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn:

Sometimes people think that literally is becoming a controymn for figuratively. Actually when used as an intensifier in hyperbole the entitie sentence is figurative. Literally is used figuratively (as is the whole sentence) but it doesn’t mean figuratively - you don’t describe figurative language like that, you just write a hyperbole or metaphor or simile.
Reading this literally melted my brain ;)
Still though, I love this thread
[Quote] [Thank]
New Home 13:42 27-01-2019 (4 Thanks)

Sometimes people think that literally is becoming a controymn for figuratively. Actually when used as an intensifier in hyperbole the entitie sentence is figurative. Literally is used figuratively (as is the whole sentence) but it doesn’t mean figuratively - you don’t describe figurative language like that, you just write a hyperbole or metaphor or simile.
That's deadly! ;)
[Quote] [Thank]
Buford T. Justice V 14:12 27-01-2019 (20 Thanks)

[Quote] [Thank]
New Home 14:17 27-01-2019 (11 Thanks)
[Quote] [Thank]
facehugger99 14:20 27-01-2019
Originally Posted by KevRossi:
This is one of the best threads on Boards.ie, but the first post in the original thread has only received 8 Thanks to date.

Anyway, there are 7 islands that are divided by international borders.
What about Korea?
[Quote] [Thank]
quickbeam 14:21 27-01-2019 (7 Thanks)
Korea isn't an island :eek:
[Quote] [Thank]
Realt Dearg Sec 14:28 27-01-2019 (7 Thanks)
Originally Posted by facehugger99:
Originally Posted by KevRossi:
This is one of the best threads on Boards.ie, but the first post in the original thread has only received 8 Thanks to date.

Anyway, there are 7 islands that are divided by international borders.
What about Korea?
It's a bit like monster island. It's a peninsula.
[Quote] [Thank]
New Home 14:49 27-01-2019 (15 Thanks)
I like this, it's a good way to remember it.

[Quote] [Thank]
Page 3 of 25
< 123 4513 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet