boards.ie Mobile
Page 5 of 44
« First < 345 6715 > Last »
After Hours>Obesity crisis in Ireland Mod Note post 1
KungPao 23:58 05-02-2019 (3 Thanks)
It’s glandular, okay? They’ve got “a condition”.
[Quote] [Thank]
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts 00:02 06-02-2019 (55 Thanks)
Originally Posted by rob316:
OCD packaging needs to be flawless.

Anyway my point is simple choices make a big difference. Leaner meat, brown instead of white bread, lower fat cheese, low fat cheese, light milk etc etc.
No one is asking someone to eat a plate of lettuce, people think "oh I'd miss this and I'd miss that on a diet". You can have all those still just not as much and often.

I hate diets, your eating habits should be for life.
All that low-fat stuff is pure junk.

Full-fat dairy products in smaller portions are way better for you. Fat is not the enemy. Much of that low-fat crap has simply substituted in sugar in place of fat. I’ve lost a good deal of weight in the past while having full-fat dairy products and small amounts of fatty meats. Sounds like you’re a food pyramid disciple.

I honestly thought most people knew that low-fat products were shïte by now. Apparently not! :eek:
[Quote] [Thank]
RollieFingers 00:02 06-02-2019 (3 Thanks)
The amount of people you see buying boxes of those donughts from the shop in Pearse Street Dart station is insane.
[Quote] [Thank]
Wibbs 00:04 06-02-2019 (4 Thanks)
Originally Posted by GAA Beo:
We also drink less than our grandparents generation I would imagine. Looking at past generations pictures and it's striking how there were no fatties.
We drink more from what I've read. Quite a bit more and more regularly. For all the stereotype of the Irish as drunkards, up to the 90's we had one of the lower rates of liver disease in the EU. In the past the pub was where you had a drink, home drinking was much less a thing for most people. It tended to be in spurts too. So a guy(usually a guy) would head to the pub of a weekend, and he might get hammered, but during the working week he was mostly "dry". Lent was a big thing too and many gave up the grog for lent. These days it's more a bottle of wine of an evening. It's only a few glasses your honour. Nearly every evening. Back when I was a kid the only adult I knew who drank wine was my dad(IIRC he got into it when back in the 50's he lived in New Zealand). That was considered more than a tad weird back in the 70/80's and the "wine section" in an off licence was the size of your average home fridge. With about four different wines.

Originally Posted by AllForIt:
Point I'm making is you can make vegetables tasty. You don't have to deep fry them to make them tasty.
In fairness A it helps. :D

Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts:
I’m not overweight and buy mince of differing fat percentages. You need them for different dishes.
And the percentage difference will make feck all real world difference. Precious few are getting obese on 12% over 5% steak.
[Quote] [Thank]
GAA Beo 00:08 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by Srameen:
Many of the parents feeding their kids fast food and unhealthy meals, did home economics at secondary school; I know several.

Organic meat and veg are no panacea, as organic/unorgainc is not a factor.
What do you suggest? Some action must be taken IMO.
[Quote] [Thank]
Succubus_ 00:08 06-02-2019
I just have one thing to say on this matter. I like big butts and I cannot lie :D
[Quote] [Thank]
Dakotabigone 00:09 06-02-2019
No wonder kids are falling asleep in school from the sugar crashes.
[Quote] [Thank]
rob316 00:11 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by Obvious Desperate Breakfasts:
All that low-fat stuff is pure junk.

Full-fat dairy products in smaller portions are way better for you. Fat is not the enemy. Much of that low-fat crap has simply substituted in sugar in place of fat. I’ve lost a good deal of weight in the past while having full-fat dairy products and small amounts of fatty meats. Sounds like you’re a food pyramid disciple.

I honestly thought most people knew that low-fat products were shïte by now. Apparently not! :eek:
You said yourself small amounts are better. I know that but trying to get an obese person from eating full fat dairy without abandon to eating small amounts is more difficult than switching to lower fat products.
[Quote] [Thank]
freshpopcorn 00:12 06-02-2019 (3 Thanks)
What do you suggest? Some action must be taken IMO.
That's exactly the thing tough.
I don't know do people want to listen.
There's loads of programs in primary schools now.

Off topic and not food obesity related.
In the first seven month of 2015. Move than 25% off drivers killed in accidents weren't wearing seat belts dispite all the education.
[Quote] [Thank]
prinzeugen 00:15 06-02-2019
State intervention is not going to work. And why should I suffer? I have good teeth and if anything, am underweight.

All my favourite soft drinks taste like fizzy cats piss now thanks to the sugar tax.

Lucozade has lost £60m in sales in the UK since it came in I believe.

Better education is what is needed. And forced PE in schools.

The laugh is though that in the UK anyway, the nanny state is saying kids must do more sport but that same nanny state won't allow sport to be played in schools if its competitive or there is the risk of a kid getting a splinter.

And sugar is not the cause of the current "crisis".

People are eating less sugar now than ever. I think the figure is about 20g a day per person form all sources. (Cane sugar, preserves etc).

The ration during WW2 in the UK worked out about 50g a day per person (don't quote me on those numbers. I will look up the exact figures but I am not far off).
[Quote] [Thank]
Dakotabigone 00:18 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse:
You really haven't a clue. They're literally passing out at their desks.
Is it really that execrable?
[Quote] [Thank]
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts 00:22 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by rob316:
You said yourself small amounts are better. I know that but trying to get an obese person from eating full fat dairy without abandon to eating small amounts is more difficult than switching to lower fat products.
No, it’s better to learn how to eat less of the full-fat stuff. Switching to low-fat won’t change any habits.
[Quote] [Thank]
Berserker 00:24 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by LirW:
Ban breakfast cereal, problem solved.
What? A really good healthy breakfast is the proper way to start the day. A bowl of porridge or one of the original bixes can make up a good part of that.
[Quote] [Thank]
Berserker 00:29 06-02-2019
Originally Posted by Dakotabigone:
The amount of parents who have their Sunday dinner with their children in Macdonalds is gone beyond a joke at this stage.
Fast food is a huge problem. I've a mac d and a local chipper near me. Queues out the door of the local chipper and the drive thru has a queue of cars every evening when I pass it. Must cost people an absolute fortune. You'd save load cooking at home.
[Quote] [Thank]
rossie1977 00:40 06-02-2019 (5 Thanks)
Eastern Europeans I meet and see out and about all seem to be in better shape than us, particularly the women are thin. What are they doing diet wise? They like a drink too. It seems to be Brits/Irish/Yanks that are the worst affected.

We also drink less than our grandparents generation I would imagine. Looking at past generations pictures and it's striking how there were no fatties.
We drink then head to fast food joint straight after.

We also consume an insane amount of processed food filled with salt and sugar.
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 5 of 44
« First < 345 6715 > Last »

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet