boards.ie Mobile
Page 132 of 132
« First < 3282122130131132
After Hours>The 70's and 80's in Ireland
The Crowman 12:57 06-01-2019 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by JupiterKid:
One film from the 1980s that moved me was Lamb. Featuring a young Liam Neeson, it was hugely depressing.:(

So much was truly depressing in the 1980s, thank God I was only a child and had my mates, my BMX and my LEGO town to play with (when it was raining, we played outdoors a lot...)
RTE screened it soon after it was released and true to form they pretty much gave away the ending in the clip publicising the screening. That was an odd aspect of 80's TV that whenever there was a heavily publicised film or TV show coming up they'd have these promos with portentous voiceover explaining the storyline. It wasn't just RTE either as the below clip shows (spoiler alert).

[Quote] [Thank]
its_steve116 16:44 06-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by branie2:
Early Liam Neeson film as well
...before he told that dude that he'd look for him, find him... and kill him.
[Quote] [Thank]
Hotblack Desiato 01:14 07-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
Originally Posted by The Crowman:
Remember when it was a big deal when an Irish movie came out in the cinema? Eat The Peach, Reefer And The Model, The Courier. They'd usually be shown on RTE not long after coming out.
And they were all sh!te too, but we were patriotically expected to watch them on RTE with our nostrils pinched to not smell the smell of sh!te and proclaim that they were "grand".

Eat The Peach is one of the worst fcuking movies ever made, but RTE made out it was Oscar material...
[Quote] [Thank]
The Crowman 15:48 07-01-2019
Another odd memory that just popped into my head of the movie Lamb is that soon after RTE showed it there was a story in the papers about an unfortunate man who took his own life after watching it. His neighbour reported that the man was talking about the film the following day and saying how depressing he found it and the ending in particular, I think he was found dead just shortly later.
[Quote] [Thank]
its_steve116 16:00 07-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
Another odd memory that just popped into my head of the movie Lamb is that soon after RTE showed it there was a story in the papers about an unfortunate man who took his own life after watching it. His neighbour reported that the man was talking about the film the following day and saying how depressing he found it and the ending in particular, I think he was found dead just shortly later.
That's sad.
[Quote] [Thank]
Heroditas 16:01 07-01-2019 (4 Thanks)
Lamb was awfully grim. I still remember it well and have absolutely no desire to watch it again, particularly now that I'm a parent. :(
[Quote] [Thank]
The Crowman 16:08 16-01-2019 (3 Thanks)
Who can forget the safety ads that used to be on tv in the 70's and 80's.

[Quote] [Thank]
Say Your Number 18:36 16-01-2019 (3 Thanks)
Never heard of that film Lamb before, Jesus Christ, from reading the plot description, it makes Angela's Ashes seem like a laugh a minute comedy.
[Quote] [Thank]
sitkaspruce 18:52 16-01-2019 (2 Thanks)
I remember being on summer holidays in Newtownmountkennedy as a youngster and going to Wicklow town where Pierce Brosnan was filming Taffin. The highlight of summer 87 (I think it was?)
[Quote] [Thank]
The Crowman 21:02 16-01-2019
Clash Of The Ash was great.
[Quote] [Thank]
Heroditas 21:57 16-01-2019 (1 Thanks)
Originally Posted by sitkaspruce:
I remember being on summer holidays in Newtownmountkennedy as a youngster and going to Wicklow town where Pierce Brosnan was filming Taffin. The highlight of summer 87 (I think it was?)
Well maybe you shouldn't be living heeeerrrrrrreeee?
[Quote] [Thank]
NewbridgeIR 22:17 16-01-2019 (3 Thanks)
Clash Of The Ash was great.

I wrote this article on Clash Of The Ash for Where's Grandad.

The YouTube upload of it is from my VHS tape.
[Quote] [Thank]
Page 132 of 132
« First < 3282122130131132

Back to Forum
Google Analytics

Share Tweet