Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pitch and Putt

Options
  • 23-06-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions for the best pitch and put course in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Deer Park in Killarney is very good. Definitely the best I've played.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 richbohs

SuperEagle wrote: »
    Deer Park in Killarney is very good. Definitely the best I've played.

Is that the one beside Dr Crokes? played it recently, great course alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

richbohs wrote: »
    Is that the one beside Dr Crokes? played it recently, great course alright.

Ya that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Among the best courses I have played would be

Tullamore
    Castletown ( north of Navan )
    Bellewstown

And a few more ... what area are you looking for OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 richbohs

Yeah Deer Park for me. Some amazing views and a super course, a real beast towards the finish with some super holes. Played with borrowed clubs would love to go back and play with my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

A few of us are going to play some courses over the next month or two around the country. I'm from Killarney myself so I'm well used to Deerpark. Live in Dublin though and wouldn't know many courses up here. Would like to find out more about any in the west too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

munster87 wrote: »
    A few of us are going to play some courses over the next month or two around the country. I'm from Killarney myself so I'm well used to Deerpark. Live in Dublin though and wouldn't know many courses up here. Would like to find out more about any in the west too

Theres a couple of courses in Clare but i've never played them. There's also a course in Galway on the outskirts of the city called Mellows beside Renmore Barracks a nice links course.

Of my favourite courses in Ireland i'd have to say:
    Claycastle(Youghal) St Annes(Cork City)
    Castletown(Navan)
    Lucan and Glenville(Dublin)
    Cloghogue(Newry)
    Tullamore
    Seapoint(Across from Seapoint GC in Drogheda)
    Deerpark(Killarney)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I was a member in Glenville for about 5 years during my teens. They were always making changes to some holes (6, 13 & 14 in particular), but it was a super course. Was almost always in great nick too.

Botharnabreena is nearby as well, nice course which has been improved due to better care in the last few years. Played there for the first time in years in March and it was great.

I remember playing a competition in Loughlinstown a couple of times and it was another course I rated highly.

Oh, and the Creek!!! Crazy P&P!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I pass by the Tullamore one on my way home from work every day, never thought of going in for a round. Last time i played P&P in Athlone they wanted €12 and i was using my own clubs.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I was a member in Glenville for about 5 years during my teens. They were always making changes to some holes (6, 13 & 14 in particular), but it was a super course. Was almost always in great nick too.

Botharnabreena is nearby as well, nice course which has been improved due to better care in the last few years. Played there for the first time in years in March and it was great.

I remember playing a competition in Loughlinstown a couple of times and it was another course I rated highly.

Lovely course. Haven't been there in a couple of years, I should get out there one day.

The Creek was great craic. Shame it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭technodub

Glen mills in newtown mountkennedy great track ya need everything from a wedge to a 3 iron!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Are we talking about P&P or par 3?
    Big difference between the likes of glen mill with 150-200 yard holes and a P&P course where you are hitting gap wedge nearly every shot.

The greatest par 3 course ever IMO was Pine Valley. Now the cats and dogs home :(

Absolute gem of a place it was.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Lovely course. Haven't been there in a couple of years, I should get out there one day.

The Creek was great craic. Shame it's gone.

I first started playing Botharnabreena around 15 years ago (geez, that number makes me feel old) and having played there earlier in the year I can safely say it's never been better. I don't play P&P much anymore, couple of games a year maybe, but when I last played there it was in the best condition it's ever been in. They tweaked the 7th a little, so you're playing uphill at an angle as opposed to straight up. The 8th has been lined with trees along the right handside to give it a less isolated feel and the 15th has the cheekiest of dips down to a green that either guarantees a straight birdie putt or an uphill chip from the 16th fairway!

The greens were in great condition as well, they've really looked after this place.

The 6th remains one of my favourite P&P holes, alongside the 9th at Glenville and the 10th at Good Counsel (Ballyboden)

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I pass by the Tullamore one on my way home from work every day, never thought of going in for a round. Last time i played P&P in Athlone they wanted €12 and i was using my own clubs.

Tullamore is really one of the top championship courses in the country . We have had our captain's outing there twice in the last 8 years.

Athlone ... 12 quid !!! For pitch and putt , that is crazy . I have never paid more than 6-7 euro. We had out captain's there in 2008 I think ( if that's Costume you are talking about ) and it certainly wasn't that price , but there would have been 20 odd people in the group.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I first started playing Botharnabreena around 15 years ago (geez, that number makes me feel old) and having played there earlier in the year I can safely say it's never been better. I don't play P&P much anymore, couple of games a year maybe, but when I last played there it was in the best condition it's ever been in. They tweaked the 7th a little, so you're playing uphill at an angle as opposed to straight up. The 8th has been lined with trees along the right handside to give it a less isolated feel and the 15th has the cheekiest of dips down to a green that either guarantees a straight birdie putt or an uphill chip from the 16th fairway!

The greens were in great condition as well, they've really looked after this place.

The 6th remains one of my favourite P&P holes, alongside the 9th at Glenville and the 10th at Good Counsel (Ballyboden)

Good Counsel is a gem of a course too. Used to live up the road (across the 13th green over the main road from Edmondstown GC) for most of my life. Me and my mates used to play there every 2nd day during the summer even when we did join a golf club. Some great times were had. Was up there last year and they were charging 10 euro or so which is a shame because it used to cost us less than fiver.
    ForeRight wrote: »
    Are we talking about P&P or par 3?
    Big difference between the likes of glen mill with 150-200 yard holes and a P&P course where you are hitting gap wedge nearly every shot.

The greatest par 3 course ever IMO was Pine Valley. Now the cats and dogs home :(

Absolute gem of a place it was.

I miss Pine Valley too. Another course that was only up the road from where I lived. I only got to play it fairly late on before it was gone. Played it a handful of times and thoroughly enjoyed myself every time. 4th, 5th, 11th and 12th, all of which were across the river were brilliant holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AFK123

Doolin in Clare is a lovely pitch and course too but can be full on sunny days with tourists

AFK123 wrote: »
    Doolin in Clare is a lovely pitch and course too but can be full on sunny days with tourists

I think I had the worst ever game of Pitch & Putt out there once. I was using a 64 degree wedge, in those winds that was an incredibly poor decision! Lost three balls!
    I was on holiday with a few lads so it was hardly competitive. Great course though, lots of variety

Just out of curiosity, this is the course from Father Ted isn't it?
    Ted's over a putt and Fr. Jack comes from behind in a car and mows him over?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Tullamore is really one of the top championship courses in the country . We have had our captain's outing there twice in the last 8 years.

Athlone ... 12 quid !!! For pitch and putt , that is crazy . I have never paid more than 6-7 euro. We had out captain's there in 2008 I think ( if that's Costume you are talking about ) and it certainly wasn't that price , but there would have been 20 odd people in the group.

to make it worse it was a 9 hole P&P course!! Going to have a look at tullamore during the week after all the comments here.

I'm actually a member of Loughlinstown and have been 17yrs course in very good nick at the moment. Glenville has always been a good course sometimes though the greens can be on the slow side. Haven't played Botharnabreena in a few years but it is an excellent course. If anyone is looking for info at all on pitch and putt i'd gladly help them as I play a lot and would know a lot of the affiliated PPUI courses

charlieIRL wrote: »
    to make it worse it was a 9 hole P&P course!! Going to have a look at tullamore during the week after all the comments here.

They do green fees and i think it's around €8 maybe less. Very good course and hopefully you enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭AFK123

Just out of curiosity, this is the course from Father Ted isn't it?
    Ted's over a putt and Fr. Jack comes from behind in a car and mows him over?

Yeah nearly sure that its the first green that you see in Fr Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 6 m1ckd33

most pitch and putt courses charge €5 for greenfees per day, if in the midlands you have tullamore,kilbeggan and erry in clara ,possibly 3 of the best courses around for different type of shots, if you can play them under par you can play anywhere,

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭stoeger

munster87 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for the best pitch and put course in Ireland?

Parteen in co Clare near limerick city great course and now open to public only five euro

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭omeara1113

Tullamore this year hosted the all Ireland matchplay course was in great condition for it
    Brian delaney beat Ray Murphy to be crowned champion
    Glenville hosted the stroke play with damian Fleming crowned champion
    Two Great courses
    Seapoint hosted the Irish open this year another great course with damian Fleming again been crowned champion
    Hopefully this year I'll play some of the courses down in the South of the country
    p&p is always a great day out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

interesting to see this thread back open.

I played the worst pitch and putt course in the Gleneagle Hotel recently. It used to be quite good from memory but apparently the owner and two sons built big houses and now its about 30% of the size it was.

Must definitely play deer park next time I'm down. criminal that I didn't know about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭omeara1113

the season end in October so clubs try to keep there members ticking over with alliances and such my club play a"RYDER CUP" against another local club tullamore
    its the same format as the ryder cup but held over five sundays
    you have to qualify for your team(unfortunately didnt this year)
    Tullamore are defending champions,
    starts this sunday,
    looking forward to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

interesting to see this thread back open.

I played the worst pitch and putt course in the Gleneagle Hotel recently. It used to be quite good from memory but apparently the owner and two sons built big houses and now its about 30% of the size it was.

Must definitely play deer park next time I'm down. criminal that I didn't know about it!

There used to be 2 courses on it - but they built the large houses and also the Brehon hotel on that ground. Deerpark is by far the best in Killarney and Kerry

+ 1 on Deerpark , great course .

Only played The Gleneagle once when there were still two courses doesn't stick out in the mind TBH

We played Tullamore back in Sept for our Capts outing , damn hard course and it was still very dry , the hole on the top of the bank is unbelievably hard if you don't hit the green !

Seapoint we played last year , fantastic course.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

+1 for Glenville and Bohernabreena

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭JP85

Seapoint, played there, everyday during the summer during my childhood. Havent played it in a couple of years, but a links style P&P course

Advertisement