Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Product launch video here: https://www.teslamotors.com/model3

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

So 35 K USD, + 23 % VAT and 14% VRT = 43,015 (EURO's) the VAT added after the VRT and VRT charged at 14%.

- 5 k grant and 5K vrt relief = 33,015 Euro's + conversion to right hand drive ? no idea of cost there.

That's cheaper than a GTD Golf TDI DSG. which costs 41,000 Euro's without a lot of extras too !

The Model 3 gets Autopilot.

Lets hope the Government don't screw things up like removing VRT relief and grant.

Probably won't be available in Ireland until 2018.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It seems that while the Model 3 has the Autopilot hardware, the base model only has the Autopilot safety features by default (i.e. auto braking). Self driving, summon, etc. will be costly extras.

Which is totally fair IMO, what this car is coming with even in the base model is a helluva lot of car.

I expect, AWD, insane/ludicrous mode, bigger battery/range and full autopilot to be costly extras. I'd expect it to reach 60k with all extras. Really no different then a BMW 3, etc. but much more interesting IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Oh and I love the all glass roof. Didn't expect that, nice extra, I thought they were just going to go for a very plain car. With cost/range being the primary goal and selling point.

An all glass roof like that is probably perfect for the Irish market. Leaves a lot of nice light in, great for the kids in the back, but much more practical then a convertible in Ireland.

Not sure how well it will work in summer in Texas though. Might require lots of AC (and thus battery) to keep cool.

• Advertisement

Sadly I bet it won't take many BMW / Audi or even Golf drivers.

I'd say at best you're probably looking at and I'm being generous here, 5% the total VW Group sales in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Where would an Irish number plate go on the front?
    Its OK in the US as you dont have to have a front facing number plate but a front facing number plate on that centre "grill" area would look horrible.

Nice car though!

I would just refuse to put one on and suffer the Court appearances LOL.

We don't need a front reg, it's ridiculous.

Sadly I bet it won't take many BMW / Audi or even Golf drivers.

I'd say at best you're probably looking at and I'm being generous here, 5% the total VW Group sales in Ireland.

I have to disagree, if priced right I think this could demolish BMW/VW in Ireland IMO.

For many years the BMW 3 series was the topping selling car in Ireland. But mostly the entry level, base model with the most economical (i.e. slow) diesel engine. Clearly Irish people wanted to have the BMW badge, but didn't actually care about performance and wanted the best fuel economy possible.

The Model 3's fuel economy will be vastly superior obviously and I think that will greatly appeal to many Irish people.

Walking to work today, it struck me the very large number of 15x and 16x Prius, Auris Hybrids, Leafs, etc. I see around. At least 50% of new cars I see seem to be some sort of EV. I think their is a real thirst amongst Irish people for fuel efficient cars, either for environmental reasons or the price of fuel.

VW has nothing to compete with this. If this is priced the same as a golf, then it will destroy VW. A golf is a compact car while this is a midsized (sporty looking) sedan, a much larger car. If they are the same price, then you would be mad to get a golf over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

So 35 K USD, + 23 % VAT and 14% VRT = 43,015 (EURO's) the VAT added after the VRT and VRT charged at 14%.

- 5 k grant and 5K vrt relief = 33,015 Euro's + conversion to right hand drive ? no idea of cost there.

That's cheaper than a GTD Golf TDI DSG. which costs 41,000 Euro's without a lot of extras too !

Lets hope the Government don't screw things up like removing VRT relief and grant.

Probably won't be available in Ireland until 2018.

I really cant see that sort of pricing for the RHD model , I suspect it will be a premium price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

KCross wrote: »
    Where would an Irish number plate go on the front?
    Its OK in the US as you dont have to have a front facing number plate but a front facing number plate on that centre "grill" area would look horrible.

Nice car though!

yeah... that thought struck me too... hopefully it will not spoil the front too much
    still, I think its time to start saving up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

bk wrote: »
    If this is priced the same as a golf, then it will destroy VW.
    And they deserve to be destroyed IMO based on the way they've carried on with their "engines emitt[ing] nitrogen oxide pollutants up to 40 times above what is allowed". I hope the US regulators fine them out of existence - because we certainly can't rely on European regulators to do anything about them.

In the meantime fair play to Tesla - eliminating vehicle emissions and our dependence on Middle East dictatorships.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

serfboard wrote: »
    And they deserve to be destroyed IMO based on the way they've carried on with their "engines emitt[ing] nitrogen oxide pollutants up to 40 times above what is allowed". I hope the US regulators fine them out of existence - because we certainly can't rely on European regulators to do anything about them.

In the meantime fair play to Tesla - eliminating vehicle emissions and our dependence on Middle East dictatorships.

dont pussyfoot around , tell us how you really feel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

First drive video of the Model 3, showing off interior & new landscape interface tablet UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

ongarite wrote: »
    First drive video of the Model 3, showing off interior & new landscape interface tablet UI.

I don't think the interior is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I don't think the interior is finished.

Its not, but thats a good idea of how it will look

We got very few details, battery size, supercharger cost ect

Still it looks good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Yeah no way that will be the final interior. That's why they're not showing any official photographs of it. The screen is way to big and distracting for my liking too. I'd drop it right down and include a smaller LCD above the steering wheel for basic info and have it split and show up any turns required when in navigation mode.

My PCP deal will be up at end of 2018 so hoping there's no delays on this and I can switch over or hopefully see what BMW etc. have by then.

It's possible to pre-order one in Ireland on tesla.com. Do we know if they will be opening stores here or selling them through their UK network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

cisk wrote: »
    It's possible to pre-order one in Ireland on tesla.com. Do we know if they will be opening stores here or selling them through their UK network?

There is at least one store on the way, Dublin would be my guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

serfboard wrote: »

How much net emissions does it eliminate though?

The electricity has to come from somewhere, and in most of Europe and all of Ireland this means fossil fuels, coal, oil, natural gas and so on.

I appreciate that eliminating exhaust fumes from the roads is probably a good thing, but I wonder if it just increases the load on power stations and just moves the carbon around rather than meaningfully reducing it.

Obviously if all the carbon is being released in one place it is much easier to mitigate it's effects or even stop it being released but in real terms will this happen.

On another note. This is a guaranteed future classic, as is the Nissan leaf. Wouldn't be surprised to see them going for massive money in 30/40/50 years. .... The car that made EV normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

just looking at that dashboard on the video, and i'd reckon it would be pretty easy for Tesla to convert to RHD, as there are no clocks above the steering wheel and the dashboard looks flat on both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

The electricity has to come from somewhere, and in most of Europe and all of Ireland this means fossil fuels, coal, oil, natural gas and so on.

I appreciate that eliminating exhaust fumes from the roads is probably a good thing, but I wonder if it just increases the load on power stations and just moves the carbon around rather than meaningfully reducing it.

Obviously if all the carbon is being released in one place it is much easier to mitigate it's effects or even stop it being released but in real terms will this happen.

On another note. This is a guaranteed future classic, as is the Nissan leaf. Wouldn't be surprised to see them going for massive money in 30/40/50 years. .... The car that made EV normal.

This argument really annoys me.

1. I as a citizen can not make a decision to change how the power in this country is made. I can only do my part by buying a zero emission car.
    Government can change how the power is produced.

2. You can currently choose an energy provider that offers 100% renewable energy to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 umbauk

So has anyone else put a deposit down? I'm assuming 2018 at least before deliveries start here given RHD seems to be behind Asia on the delivery list! But at least by then I'll be able to afford one ;)

As a general rule of thumb, EV's produce about 1/3rd of the CO2 per KM travelled, as petrol/diesel cars do in Ireland.

There are a few reasons for this. Typically ICE are far less efficient then power stations.

Also the make up of the Irish power grid is actually quite clean. About 25% wind and hydro, about 50% gas (which is much cleaner then oil) and about 25% dirty coal/peat (but still better then oil in a car).

Finally EV's tend to be mostly charged at night when the wind typically blows the hardest and lots of electricity is being generated by the wind turbines, but currently goes to waste as their simply isn't the power requirements at night.

And this is a very important point. Not only do EV's greatly reduce the amount of CO2 being released, but they also release ZERO NOx.

NOx is one of the terrible substances that comes out of the back of Diesel cars and causes cancer, asthma, etc.

If EV's eliminated just NOx, that would make them worth doing on their own.

But to answer your question, if all cars were EV's, then we would be producing 2/3rds less CO2 and vastly less NOx.

Exactly, our power generation grid has gotten much "cleaner" over the last 30 years and it is likely to continue to do so.

Wind is increasing all the time. The government is being forced to close the awful, dirty peat plants and it is only a matter of time until Moneypoint is converted from coal to biomass and more cleaner gas power.

So if you buy an EV today, it will be relatively "Clean" and it will only get cleaner over it's lifetime. An ICE car will just be as dirty (likely even dirtier due to failing filters, etc.) 20 years from now then it is today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

bk wrote: »

So if you buy an EV today, it will be relatively "Clean" and it will only get cleaner over it's lifetime. An ICE car will just be as dirty (likely even dirtier due to failing filters, etc.) 20 years from now then it is today.

good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Something like 130000 ordered already lol.

Looks like I'll have to wait for my one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

umbauk wrote: »
    So has anyone else put a deposit down? I'm assuming 2018 at least before deliveries start here given RHD seems to be behind Asia on the delivery list! But at least by then I'll be able to afford one ;)

My PCP finishes in 2019. I'm gonna wait until I see what's in the whole package first. Is the deposit returnable?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 umbauk

Yes, you can get a refund at any time (assuming Tesla doesn't go bankrupt...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My plan was to continue driving my 141 Leaf for 4 years (currently 9 months). By then I'll have roughly €7-8k saved up to put towards my next car alongside trading/selling my Leaf.

The original plan was to buy a second hand 60kw "Leaf II" but depending on the price and second hand market on the Model 3, I might be tempted to splash out a little more.

Saw my first Model S in the flesh yesterday, stunning car.

• Advertisement

Also to add to the emissions, how much energy do people think it takes to firstly, search for the oil, build an oil rig, drill for the oil, extract it, load it on tankers , transport it to refineries, refine it and transport it to the petrol stations ? it's a vast amount of energy that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement