Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

• 23-12-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Might be an interesting thread for people in the market for buying (or selling!) a second hand EV :)

Rules: not many. It would be nice for everyone if we stick to the following format. With a pic of the car, a description with asking price and a link to the ad. Fine if it's your own car, but you have to clearly state it is yours. Please only cars without a leased battery

I'll start it off...

'11 Leaf, 88k miles, NCT 03/17, tax 10/17, fast charge cable + granny cable

only 10 bars left

asking €6,890

ZDFjODNlZDVmYmI4OGNkODQ3YTVkNzU3OTRlNjgyZDTAwYFDuYvkDCoigNZYtlcaaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b182NjIwNjg4OXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Linky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is 10 bars bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is 10 bars bad?

20-25% of battery capacity lost. Probably due to a combination of the calendar age, heavy discharge events and heat related loss due to rapid charging.

This kind of capacity loss is largely restricted to the MK1 Leaf (2010 - 2013).

The Mk1.5 Leaf (Late 2013 - 2015, same battery in 2016 mk1.75 24kWh) is seeing capacity loss at a quarter to a fifth of the rate of the Mk1 at the same points in time. Many Mk1.5 leafs, particularly those used regularly have seen no discernable capacity loss. My own Mk1.5 Leaf was showing slightly better battery stats the day I traded it in than the day I picked it up.

The MK1.75 Leaf (30kWh 2016 ->)... we don't know yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Good question. i'll let a more knowledgeable or experienced person answer that. But you start with 12 bars, so the battery capacity has obviously been compromised. Something that will always happen with battery technology over time. Speculating here, but in practice it might mean that your realistic range has gone down from something like 120 km to 90-100 km. Wouldn't make much difference to me in my life tbh.

Edit: cros13 beat me to it and he knows about these things. I don't. The one thing is that the performance of batteries always decreases over time. If a measurement shows otherwise then some of the settings weren't held equal between measurements ;)

unkel wrote: »
    The one thing is that the performance of batteries always decreases over time. If a measurement shows otherwise then some of the settings weren't held equal between measurements ;)

That's true in absolute terms. However in the case of an big 'ol EV battery pack we have at least one BMS between you and the individual cells, a restricted depth of discharge, comparatively few cycles compared to many other applications, some overprovisioning vs. the headline capacity and occasionally a little thermal management.

If Nissan's BMS in it's infinite wisdom decides to give me a 1% larger depth of discharge after 60,000km who am I to argue? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Black Leaf Seems genuine advert on first glance ,but he expertly hid the reg , I wonder why ? You could always ring and ask for or the reg if interested .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bigus wrote: »
    Black Leaf Seems genuine advert on first glance ,but he expertly hid the reg , I wonder why ? You could always ring and ask for or the reg if interested .

Most people don't like putting the reg plate in sale ads. Very common across donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

I wouldnt mind that so much - as kceire says, many shy away from having the reg displayed. Now if he didn't disclose following an online message or phone call, that's a different story.

Whats missing is some interior shots - but it may be symptomatic of what he claims his reason for sale is i.e. has to be done asap - so perhaps not valeted.

Other than that, it's not that badly priced by irish standards. I keep tabs on autotrader uk - and there has definitely been an upward shift in pricing in recent months. Perhaps that's just a timing issue and there will be a price drop in January (as like here, they will have new plates out).

kceire wrote: »
    Most people don't like putting the reg plate in sale ads. Very common across donedeal.

Definitely not most ,

yes a minority don't show the reg for some idiotic reason

and they consequently wonder why they can't sell there precious car with the hidden reg.
    However the same car always has its reg on display anytime it's in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It's to stop the reg being cloned: Criminal intending on stealing a 2011 black Leaf, just get a reg off donedeal, bang it on stolen car and drive it around for months undetected.

It's not very likely, but it did happen to a friend. The clone car was used in an armed robbery.

n97 mini wrote: »
    It's to stop the reg being cloned: Criminal intending on stealing a 2011 black Leaf, just get a reg off donedeal, bang it on stolen car and drive it around for months undetected.

It's not very likely, but it did happen to a friend. The clone car was used in an armed robbery.

Eco friendly bank robbers , I get it now .

I've sold cars with 400 bhp plus and would never hide the reg , but I'd never even inquire about a car for sale with hidden reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Eco friendly bank robbers , I get it now .

I've sold cars with 400 bhp plus and would never hide the reg , but I'd never even inquire about a car for sale with hidden reg.

The 2011 black Leaf was an example, as it's the car in the thread.

Most 400bhp+ cars in Ireland tend to be unsubtle so you're probably safe enough. The cloned car was a Mazda 323.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

2014 6.6kw charge Leaf up the North, Acenta model with 44.5k miles, should get for in or around €10k if you pick it up yourself, no mention of battery flex

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

Not a bad price,however a friend of picked up a 2013, non battery flex SV Gen 2, medium mileage 3.3 kw charger for 6800 stg from the North, same dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

slave1 wrote: »
    2014 6.6kw charge Leaf up the North, Acenta model with 44.5k miles, should get for in or around €10k if you pick it up yourself, no mention of battery flex
    k123456 wrote: »
    Not a bad price,however a friend of picked up a 2013, non battery flex SV Gen 2, medium mileage 3.3 kw charger for 6800 stg from the North, same dealer

They are about the same value really considering the more expensive one is a year newer and has 6.6kW charging. Both reasonable value.

The Leaf in the OP is still for sale. New asking price €6,700

Anyone wanna go in with a sneaky €5k cash offer? :cool:

I'm very interested in a Leaf for herself, we used to have an SMax but ironically as the kids got bigger we need less space, booster seats/buggys etc. so I sold the SMax (this week!!) and gave her my 07 1.6l petrol Avensis when I imported a 1.6D CRV September last year.
    We now have a CRV for the long hauls and a Leaf would suffice for herself's short school/town/work runs and should she need to go further afield she can have the CRV as a Leaf would cover my 58km work commute.

I've already purchased the sterling but am holding off for the minute as...
    • The Avensis is reaching slow down in depreciation and in fairness has been bulletproof when it comes to reliability and repairs
    • I will be importing for certain and April is probably a better time to buy
    • I'd love a 30Kw Leaf but it will be a while before these hit my price mark and sure then I'd love a 40Kw etc.......

Am I right to hold off....

I'm very interested in a Leaf for herself, we used to have an SMax but ironically as the kids got bigger we need less space, booster seats/buggys etc. so I sold the SMax (this week!!) and gave her my 07 1.6l petrol Avensis when I imported a 1.6D CRV September last year.
    We now have a CRV for the long hauls and a Leaf would suffice for herself's short school/town/work runs and should she need to go further afield she can have the CRV as a Leaf would cover my 58km work commute.

I've already purchased the sterling but am holding off for the minute as...
    • The Avensis is reaching slow down in depreciation and in fairness has been bulletproof when it comes to reliability and repairs
    • I will be importing for certain and April is probably a better time to buy
    • I'd love a 30Kw Leaf but it will be a while before these hit my price mark and sure then I'd love a 40Kw etc.......

Am I right to hold off....

If going UK, definitely hold off until April for the new reg.

Whats your budget? The Leaf sounds like it would easily suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Leaf in the OP is still for sale. New asking price €6,700

Anyone wanna go in with a sneaky €5k cash offer? :cool:

Is it yours Unkel?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is it yours Unkel?

Haha, no it isn't!

KCross wrote: »
    If going UK, definitely hold off until April for the new reg.

Whats your budget? The Leaf sounds like it would easily suit you.

UK wise, the £10k mark, I reckon I will save around €1.4k a year in fuel/tax costs and I'm already dual metered so have that factored in my calculations.

This is probably the best overall deal I've seen so far that balances my Budget and wants...

• Advertisement

Haha, no it isn't!

I was only asking as you said it might be worth a cheeky offer, but there's no link so where would we find this deal?

This is probably the best overall deal I've seen so far that balances my Budget and wants...

This looks a bit better, £500 more but it's a Tekna (top spec, leather etc.) with a 6.6kW charger:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701131273804?radius=1500&aggregatedTrim=Tekna&year-from=2014&postcode=sw1a1aa&onesearchad=Used&make=NISSAN&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&colour=Blue&colour=Bronze&colour=Grey&colour=Red&model=LEAF&page=1

I'm sure you'd be able to negotiate the difference down a little more.

UK wise, the £10k mark, I reckon I will save around €1.4k a year in fuel/tax costs and I'm already dual metered so have that factored in my calculations.

Yea, you wont get a 30kWh for sub £10k yet. Only a year old. You'd probably need another £2-4k to make that jump.

Have you thought about the 6.6kW charger and whether that is something that would be useful to you? When buying 2nd hand it usually isnt a whole lot more to get just that it significantly reduces the number available.

KCross wrote: »
    Yea, you wont get a 30kWh for sub £10k yet. Only a year old. You'd probably need another £2-4k to make that jump.

Have you thought about the 6.6kW charger and whether that is something that would be useful to you? When buying 2nd hand it usually isnt a whole lot more to get just that it significantly reduces the number available.

I'm open to everything, as I have night rate I don't mind having it on slow charge all night, I'll install a proper charger at the house at some stage but I have access to use a Granny Cable for the short term.
    I do not need public charging and plan on not using them, if I do get to use them then that will be upside but they are not around the areas we use so best to discount them and plan home only

I'm open to everything, as I have night rate I don't mind having it on slow charge all night, I'll install a proper charger at the house at some stage but I have access to use a Granny Cable for the short term.
    I do not need public charging and plan on not using them, if I do get to use them then that will be upside but they are not around the areas we use so best to discount them and plan home only

I dont use the public charge points much either but I still find the 6.6kW very useful from home. It depends on the amount of driving you do.

I regularly (every week) topup the charge at home when I know I need to go out again later in the day. Happens alot at weekends with dropping kids here there and everywhere. As I said, depends on your usage profile.

Understood, there's no way her current driving day to day will require a daytime top up, constant 2-3 mile trips, this morning 2 miles to school A, back to house, 2 miles to school B, back to house, 3 miles to work, back to school B 3 miles, back to house, into town maybe once 4 miles round trip etc, drop off to swimming/cubs/athletics/scouts etc in the evenings, glorified taxi for the kids

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Understood, there's no way her current driving day to day will require a daytime top up, constant 2-3 mile trips, this morning 2 miles to school A, back to house, 2 miles to school B, back to house, 3 miles to work, back to school B 3 miles, back to house, into town maybe once 4 miles round trip etc, drop off to swimming/cubs/athletics/scouts etc in the evenings, glorified taxi for the kids

Your username seems fitting! :P

Ok, not required then.

However, cros13 has given you a very good option above. The Tekna gives you leather(and other "stuff") which is very useful for all those kids! Thats what I have.

And you get the 6.6kW as a bonus and its in budget.... sounds like a win-win.

Basically the ideal usage for EV.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was only asking as you said it might be worth a cheeky offer, but there's no link so where would we find this deal?

The linky is in the OP :)

Advertisement