Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C64 Mini

• 29-09-2017 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭

Jumping on the mini bandwagon, a C64 mini was announced today. 64 fully licensed games are included. There are A LOT of great games there, but some questionable choices too. If sideloading is possible (like Hakchi on the NES classic), this will be even better.

Love the competition pro controller too. :)
    (I hope it has microswitches and is nice and clicky!)

£69.99, out next year.
    http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/29/commodore-64-mini-console-coming-out-in-2018-with-over-35-games-6965332/

untitled4.jpg

AlleyKat
    Anarchy
    Armalyte: Competition Edition
    Avenger
    Battle Valley
    Bounder
    California Games
    Chip’s Challenge
    Confuzion
    Cosmic Causeway: Trailblazer II
    Creatures
    Cyberdyne Warrior
    Cybernoid II: The Revenge
    Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine
    Deflektor
    Everyone’s A Wally
    Firelord
    Gribbly’s Day Out
    Hawkeye
    Heartland
    Herobotix
    Highway Encounter
    Hunter's Moon
    Hysteria
    Impossible Mission
    Impossible Mission II
    Insects In Space
    Mega-Apocalypse
    Mission A.D
    Monty Mole
    Monty on the Run
    Nebulus
    Netherworld
    Nobby the Aardvark
    Nodes Of Yesod
    Paradroid
    Pitstop II
    Rana Rama
    Robin Of The Wood
    Rubicon
    Skate Crazy
    Skool Daze
    Slayer
    Snare
    Speedball
    Speedball II: Brutal Deluxe
    Spindizzy
    Star Paws
    Steel
    Stormlord
    Street Sports Baseball
    Summer Games II
    Super Cycle
    Temple of Apshai Trilogy
    The Arc Of Yesod
    Thing Bounces Back
    Thing on a Spring
    Trailblazer
    Uchi Mata
    Uridium
    Who Dares Wins II
    Winter Games
    World Games
    Zynaps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

There's also a new version of Hunters Moon that went up on Kickstarter today.

http://kck.st/2ycA3qn

Good times for the C64!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

People behind this are involved in the acrimonious Sinclair ZX Vega +, they've left the project but a lot of dirt has been thrown at them, and vice versa. The full sized model that's taking pre orders with actual working keyboard looks better bet but I personally wouldn't trust anyone from the Vega+ sh*t storm.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Martin Walker was a hero of mine, back in the day. Loved his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

People behind this are involved in the acrimonious Sinclair ZX Vega +, they've left the project but a lot of dirt has been thrown at them, and vice versa. The full sized model that's taking pre orders with actual working keyboard looks better bet but I personally wouldn't trust anyone from the Vega+ sh*t storm.

That was Retro Computers Ltd... This is by a crowd called Retro Games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

64 games but only know 2 of 3 of them. No manic miner, purple turtles, chucky/chocky egg or green beret. Missed opportunity not to have some of the classic launch games.

• Advertisement

Jesus Purple Turtles was awful in hindsight. Absolutely impossible after a certain point.

Loved it at the time though! How naive we were back then! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭pawrick

64 games but only know 2 of 3 of them. No manic miner, purple turtles, chucky/chocky egg or green beret. Missed opportunity not to have some of the classic launch games.

Same here, only played one of the games listed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is this not very similar to the C64 in a stick we had a number of years ago?

I just counted - I've played 50 of them. :)

Wish it had a few more Thalamus games like Creatures 2, Quedex, Snare, Delta, Summer/Winter Camp and Retrograde.

Also Myth, Turbo Outrun, Bruce Lee, Citadel, Last Ninja 1/2/3, Flimbos Quest, Head Over Heels, IK+, Parallax, Sacred Armour of Antiriad, Cauldron, Traz, Wizball, Turrican 1/2.... probably loads more if I thought about it.

DinoRex wrote: »
    That was Retro Computers Ltd... This is by a crowd called Retro Games.

Former directors of RCL Paul Andrews and Chris Smith new company Retro Games.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is this not very similar to the C64 in a stick we had a number of years ago?

The joystick on the box looks exactly like that thirty in one joystick. I know the pi in and case is leveled at a lot of these but this really does just look like a pi like board and emulator in crappy case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

DinoRex wrote: »
    There's also a new version of Hunters Moon that went up on Kickstarter today.

http://kck.st/2ycA3qn

Good times for the C64!

Theres also a Project Hubbarb which will be kickstarting on the 5th of October with lots of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I already have my C64 Mini ;)
    429369.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What I'd like to see is support for something like the SDW2IEC card reader that would allow loading other games. Some of the games on that list are a bit middling at best and it sort of reads like they just found the first lot of working ROMS that they could find.

Lemming wrote: »
    What I'd like to see is support for something like the SDW2IEC card reader that would allow loading other games. Some of the games on that list are a bit middling at best and it sort of reads like they just found the first lot of working ROMS that they could find.

I think they will probably be tinkerable via USB, I think in the failed crowd funder they started with, it was always the intention to be able to put your own games on it.

I'd still rather have a real, fully functional Commodore 64 with SD2IEC for very similar money to what this thing costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'd be interested in this if you can get other games loaded on to it. There's loads of old classics that aren't there that I'd want. The Arthur Pendragon games (Staff of Karnath, Entombed, Blackwyche and to a lesser extent Dragonskulle), Beach Head, Spy vs Spy I and II (never played III), Green Beret, Ghost N'Goblins, Chiller. Some old school Hunchback, Jet Set Willy, China Miner. The list goes on and on. I do have pi with retropie on there but the C64S emulator menu system is real clunky.

On a completely separate note, Impossible Mission in a browser -> Mod Edit: No links to emulated games not in the public domain I'm afraid

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Any opportunity to play Uridium again.

In fact, I'd buy that game on every format I could, it's as much a classic to me as Super Mario World, a brilliant game worthy of mention in the company of other great Shmups like Raiden and Truxton.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭smurf492

Available for pre order on smyths website now. Tried copying and pasting link here but computer said no!

I'm going to preorder. This thing better be hackable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Thanks for that preordered on Amazon.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm going to preorder. This thing better be hackable. :)
    Firmware upgradeable via USB flash drive

That would make me think it is.
    I remember the early SD card enabled Megadrive plug'n plays said something similar, before they dropped the pretense completely.

The thing is, I'd probably keep about 75% of the original list. They've done a great job with the game selection. Just a few missing gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Preordered thanks.
    I have c64 emulated on lots of consoles/devices but this should be more authentic (I hope)
    Happy with the list of games.
    Needs to be hackable though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Pre-Ordered through Smyths, I already have 2 Commodore64's one with IEC2SD but I'm enjoying the SNES mini so much I said feck it and pre-ordered this too

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Is this a limited run , or is it planned for long term availability ?

Great to see Paradroid , but it's a pity there's no Last Ninja games , Boulderdash , Turrican , IO ( impossible to please everybody :) )

Hopefully they can be added .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

It having 2 functioning USB ports might make it easier to load extra media on or even run from a USB HDD

Most games are less than 128kb and there were about 10,000 commercial titles on the C64 (according to wikipedia). That is just over a gigabyte by my maths (but probably much less). You're not going to need massive storage here.

Plus I'd rather cherry pick 200 great games than have a library full of crap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Needs some Flimbos Quest and Turrican!

I'll Defo get one and hope the inevitable hacks come.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Found this on the official company community forums: link
    Lots of people are asking about how to add software to THEC64 Mini.

We are happy to confirm that firmware and software upgrades will be possible via the USB ports, to allow more functions to be added to the THEC64 Mini in the future.

More details will follow in due course.

Looks like they intend to provide an ability to update software & firmware. Just how far their notion of software changes goes is anyone's guess, but it's a starting point for those hoping to be able to load additional games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I just preordered on Amazon .

I sent an email earlier to the makers at theC64.com asking if it was a limited run or will it be available in the long term .

The reply I just got back was -
    thec64.com wrote:
    Limited initial run but long term also

Advertisement